New plaster

poolmonitor234

Apr 29, 2023
California
We replastered our pool a few weeks ago. I used one of the test kits the last couple of weeks and the latest reading shows this:
(Almost) 0 chlorine
8.2 PH
200 TA
200 CH
70 CYA

I've read that I'm not supposed to slam it with chemicals, that the ph might be high due to new plaster (possibly for 6+ months), and to do a gradual increase in chlorine but it seems like chlorine levels are going down.

In what order should I start addressing everything since they're all out of desired range. Would there be issues swimming in the pool in this state?

Thank you for reading!

Welcome to the forum.
You have added quite a bit of CYA so you need to get your FC up to 5 ppm at a minimum. Follow FC/CYA Levels
Then manage your pH in the 7's. Test every day. Lower pH to 7.6 each time. That will bring the TA down over time.
Once you get FC up to safe levels, go swimming!

Thanks, they had done the startup in the week after the replastering. And we stumbled on this site and decided to do some testing ourselves while we are looking for a pool guy (or from what I'm reading, maybe we'll end up doing the maintenance ourselves).

So the order is:
1. Decrease cya by adding water to pool
2. Increase FC by adding liquid chlorine or bleach.
3. Lower ph by adding muriatic acid.

Do I need to wait for step #1 to be right before we move onto step #2?
Are these steps all occurring in the same day? Or do I wait a day in between adding the different chemicals?

Chlorine is king. Keep FC in target range.

No need to replace any water. You can manage it with that CYA. It will come down very slowly over the summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.