New Plaster

Jan 9, 2016
Missouri City, TX
Pool Size
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We replastered our SW pool yesterday & pool is just about full. We are doing to startup on it and I just want to clarify about adding acid. In the blog post it says to balance the water before swimming ~ does this include adding acid to bring pH down at this point in time, or we need to wait a certain period before doing that like with the salt? We are in Houston if that makes any kind of difference.
Thanks for your help!
Shannon

Generally, a newly plastered pool will come with start-up instructions from the contractor. Didn't they give you any guidance? It is normally required for the warranty. As far as salt, you can't add that for 30 days, so you'll balance the CYA and FC together (to prevent algae) as a non-salt pool as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Acid will be required as new plaster causes the pH to rise rather quickly until it fully cures, so add acid periodically to keep the pH around 7.7-7.8. Pour the acid slowly and carefully near the return jets. Hope that helps.

Reactions: snichols1219
Generally, a newly plastered pool will come with start-up instructions from the contractor. Didn't they give you any guidance? It is normally required for the warranty. As far as salt, you can't add that for 30 days, so you'll balance the CYA and FC together (to prevent algae) as a non-salt pool as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Acid will be required as new plaster causes the pH to rise rather quickly until it fully cures, so add acid periodically to keep the pH around 7.7-7.8. Pour the acid slowly and carefully near the return jets. Hope that helps.
But I don't add any chlorine or Stabilizer for 72 hours?

But I don't add any chlorine or Stabilizer for 72 hours?
That's true. Very common. But as soon as you hit that mark, have the liquid chlorine and stabilizer in a sock (ready for soaking) to go into the pool.

Reactions: snichols1219
They use the term "shock", but don't let that throw you off. It's just chlorine. Now that you know you have one good source for chlorine, shop around. Home Depot has their 3 pack of HDX chlorine. It used to be $9.98, but mine went up to $12.98 this year. :( But any liquid pool chlorine (sodium Hypochlorite) will do just fine. Walmart also has 10% chlorine called Pool Essentials. If you are forced to use regular bleach (not as strong), just make sure it's regular and nothing scented or splashless. Also avoid the Clorox brand bleach.

FWIW Home Depot had the 4-packs of the Pool Essentials Chlorinating liquid in stock up here in OKC this weekend. $4 per bottle of 10% is a better deal long-term. It's about $10 more per case at Leslie's.

SKU# 315233752

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_180216590.jpg
    IMG_20210619_180216590.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.