New plaster GREEN pool

Tanner M

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK
So I am at a loss here. I have followed all instructions to a T since the new plaster on Monday afternoon. After the initial fill I added 4 gallons of acid to bring the PH way down as instructed and wait 3 days without the pump running. Yesterday I started adding baking soda to bring the PH back up along with 3 gallons of liquid CYA and 2 gallons of fresh 10% liquid chlorine from HD. After adding the liquid chlorine the pool started turning immediately from a pretty blue to a dark green. What in the world did I do?!??! I have never seen anything like this before. Please help!

I only ran a couple of tests

FC - 9.5
CC - .5
PH -7.2
CYA - 70

Sounds like iron. Well Water? Did the plaster company add any sequestrant to the water?

High chlorine will turn your pool green from Iron. It actually is brown with a blue background. You can possibly strain out the iron by putting pillow fluff or paper towels in your skimmer. They should turn brown.

Jacks Magic is the preferred sequestrant here. But I not a metals expert. I will PM one to join in.

Take care.

Tanner, you can and should use a full start up dose of either Jacks Magic Purple, which is formulated for salt, or Metal Magic.

The suspect iron is quite likely from your startup salt, which has trace amounts. Of iron typically than in the order os several hundreds of pounds adds up.

On a new pool on municipal water without algaaecide (with copper) having been added, that is the most likely explanation of the tinting.

Report back and let us know if. That cleared the tint, and feel free to reach out if you continue to have a problem so we can troubleshoot.

No salt has been added to the pool. This is day number 5 and the pool still has a green tint. I am at a loss here as to what to do chlorine levels are holding steady all tests seem fine why is it Still green? I do not have any access to the jacks sequestration I added metal free and didn't do anything

Metal Free is not a phosphoric based sequestrant and you wouldn’t be the first poster to report no effect with it.

You didn’t add any copper algaecide did you? Or have someone fertilize your lawn? I’m wondering where this Metal has come from. What brand of chlorine did you use? Nothing with “blue” in the name, right?

In the mean time, post up a full set of results and if you have to, order one of the suggested sequestants online. Since your going to add salt, Jacks Metal Purple May be best.

I went ahead and got jacks magic on order but it wont be here for 3-5 days. I have not added any algeacide at all nor has any one been fertilizing my yard. Now the neighbor next door had his fertilized recently but it was kept in his yard as there is a concrete wall between our properties. I am extremely lost at this point. I have been using the TFP method for 5+ years now and have never had an issue like this. I am extremely concerned that my new plaster is going to have stains from this. I don't know what else to do at this point but wait or drain.

FC-3.5 (I have been letting it drop off to see if there was any change in water color, will be adding more this morning)
PH-7.5
CYA-70
TA-120

How long are you running your filter each day? If less than 24/7, try that while you await your shipment.

And while I know TFPers are conditioned to avoid the dreaded pool store, you might want to see if they can read your pool water and tap water...just don’t do anything they say til you post the results here ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool (and most) started out green when it was first filled. After acid and some chlorine it was blue within a day. Not sure what is going on with yours.

The liquid CYA would not have had anything to do with it would it? I have reluctantly decided to drain the pool again over night. I can only imagine what my water bills going to be.

- - - Updated - - -

My pool (and most) started out green when it was first filled. After acid and some chlorine it was blue within a day. Not sure what is going on with yours.

Me neither I wish I could figure it out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.