New Pentair VS Pool Pump Not Working

PoolInMN

Oct 6, 2018
Minneapolis
I replaced an old single speed Pentair pump with a new VS Pentair pump about a month ago and it was working great. It was running for about a month and just today I went out to check on it and it wasn't running. All of the lights on the control panel are lit up green but it won't run and the screen is blank. I tried turning off power to the motor for 20 minutes and turning it back on and it was in the exact same state. I also tried holding down the 4 buttons (1, 2, 3 and quick clean) to try and reset it as well as holding down 1 and +/- at the same time with no luck.

We've had pretty heavy rain storms over the past few days so I thought maybe water got into the wiring and opened up the wiring area but it is dry. I also used a multimeter to confirm that it is getting 240 volts.

I'm looking for any suggestions on other troubleshooting steps that I can take. I think it's under warranty since it's less than 60 days since I bought it but I'm not looking forward to going through that process if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kris

I replaced an old single speed Pentair pump with a new VS Pentair pump about a month ago and it was working great. It was running for about a month and just today I went out to check on it and it wasn't running. All of the lights on the control panel are lit up green but it won't run and the screen is blank. I tried turning off power to the motor for 20 minutes and turning it back on and it was in the exact same state. I also tried holding down the 4 buttons (1, 2, 3 and quick clean) to try and reset it as well as holding down 1 and +/- at the same time with no luck.

We've had pretty heavy rain storms over the past few days so I thought maybe water got into the wiring and opened up the wiring area but it is dry. I also used a multimeter to confirm that it is getting 240 volts.

I'm looking for any suggestions on other troubleshooting steps that I can take. I think it's under warranty since it's less than 60 days since I bought it but I'm not looking forward to going through that process if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kris
File a warranty claim. Chasing an electronic problem in the drive will cause your pool to not be Troublefree.

Kris,

How did you test for 240 volts???

Did you measure between the two hot leads (L1 and L2) or... Did you test L1 to ground and then L2 to ground?

The only valid test is to test between L1 and L2.. testing to ground can make it look like you have 240 volts when you don't.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I tested between L1 and L2. I figured out what the problem is though, I left the control panel cover open and water got in under the control panel. I would have assumed that the seal between the control panel and the wiring would keep water out but it looks like I assumed wrong and should have had the cover closed.

That said I guess any recommendations on how to fix the control panel or more likely where to buy a new one at a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Kris

The control panel is integral to the drive. A complete drive is close to $1000 depending on what VS pump model you have.

That is why I asked what VS pump you have. Please add that to your signature.

That might work. I do not have experience with that pump.