New Pentair Salt Cell IC40 Checklist

JoeFletch

Nov 7, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I have a new IC40 salt cell that I just bought to replace a failed cell. I have replaced my salt cell in the past and didn't check much of anything then. I read through the manual and didn't note anything specific that I should check for a replacement. I wanted a sanity check of what I should check to make sure everything is in order before installing this one (and calm my nerves). I'd hate to destroy a new cell for something that I missed. I tried to search through the forums, but I did not find anything.

The only things that I can think of is...
  • Make sure that pool chemistry is proper.
  • Verify proper voltage from power supply 22-39 VDC (currently 27VDC which is within specifications).
Is there anything else that I should check before installing my new IC40?

Joe,

I'd just make sure the salt is within the IC40's good range and then install the new cell.

How long did your old cell work?

Not much is going to make the salt cell fail..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'd just make sure the salt is within the IC40's good range and then install the new cell.
Perfect. Thank you.

How long did your old cell work?
It worked for 8 months, then the cell light started flashing. I posted about it here. It was a replacement from Pentair for a safety issue. Anyway, I procrastinated and did nothing about it and just maintained the chlorine levels manually for about a month until I could get around to replacing the cell. It then it started working again! It was so weird and I had no idea why. Then a few of months ago, it started happening again (cell light flashing). So I probably got another year of usage out of it. It was winter here in Florida when it happened and I just maintained the pool manually by adding chlorine. Probably not cost effective but I didn't have time to troubleshoot. Then about 1-2 weeks ago, it just died. No lights. No power. The chlorine generator button breaker was tripped. When I pressed the button to reset it, it would trip immediately. Pulled the power cable from the panel, reset the breaker and the breaker was fine. But when I plugged in the cell, it would trip immediately. I checked for continuity and 2 of the pins were grounded to each other. Not too sure if that was causing the breaker to trip. I called Pentair and they said that the cell is dead.

Not much is going to make the salt cell fail..
Except potentially this. Haha.

How did it fail ? Reached end of life ? Lights on and not blowing fuses ?
No, I don't think so. I actually have no idea. The history on this cell can be seen here, here and here (my previous post in this thread). To summarize...
  • Cable failure cause a short in an old cell.
  • Replacement from Pentair was installed.
  • New cell worked for 8 months until cell light started flashing.
  • Ignored it and it started working again for about a year and then the cell light started flashing again.
  • About 1-2 weeks ago it just died. No lights.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.