New pebble pool - Aboslutely knows nothing about water chemistry

Good evening everyone!

So, PB added salt yesterday. Salinity was around 4 after they added and I didn’t turn on the salt sell yet.

However, the chemical readings have changed after they added salt with salt cell running at 0%. Not really sure what’s going on.

FC - 6
TC - 6
PH - 7
TA - 40
CH - 140
CYA - 50

I added liquid chlorine last Monday and initially the FC readings were low around 2 for 1-2 days and they jumped after salt is added. I will leave salt cell at 5% for the next couple of days and monitor chlorine levels. I am planning to focus on TA, CH and CYA.

CYA of 70-80 was recommended earlier for SWG
Any certain recommendations on TA and CH for SWG?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:
How did your pH go from 7.8 to 7 and your TA is now 40?

Stop adding chemicals and let your pool settle down for a few days.

Just test and maintain your FC and nothing else.

Ok. I think it happened because of pool returns are half closed. Not sure how it happened but I see that the pool returns are half to 3/4 closed. Someone messed up with it. I added liquid chlorine and muriatic acid based on effects of adding calculation in pool math app. After a day, I didn’t see ph going down and chlorine was too low. Probably the chemicals were not mixed well because of return closed partially. Without knowing that, I added little bit more and after 4 days these are the readings. I think I added more chemicals than needed because of the pool returns.

I will try to leave everything as is for few days as you suggested.

Please log ALL of your tests and chemical additions in PoolMath. It helps us when you present problems like this.

So, couple of incidents happened after my previous reporting.

On 04/20 salt was added and salt cell was turned on to 100%PB guys also added chlorine tabs inside the skimmer basket. That led chlorine to jump to 17. I kept my calm and stopped the salt cell and removed chlorine tabs. It took almost a week 04/26 to drop chlorine levels to 3. Ph was a bit high too and I added acid to mitigate it.

I turned on the salt cell on 04/26 at 50% and next day chlorine is back up to 8. I kept it as 20% and it stays within 6-7 range now. I am pretty happy that it stays in the range and learnt a thing or two from this fiasco.

Now that chlorine and Ph are stabilizing, cal I proceed to stabilize TA, CH and CYA?

What is the good range to target for CyA ? 15k Gallon pool with salt cell. TFP article says 60-80. Is 70 a good number to target?

Thanks as always for helping with this.

CYA 70 is fine.

You are lowering your pH too low with a TA of 40. Your TA is fine. Don’t lower you pH below 7.6.

You need to raise your CH to around 300.

Reactions: Tax2023
Thank you! I will target these numbers and add to pool math logs with testing results.

This has been a great learning experience and I really appreciate your feedback and guidance in general.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support