New Owners of a former Tadpole Pool :-)

I put 46 oz (Pool Calculator) last night around 6 pm since FC was 1 around 4 pm. Ok, I think this is starting to slowly sink in to my brain! It's during the day I have to worry about my chlorine levels since if I'm reading my CYA right its at zero. The less CYA I have the faster the pool is going to eat up the chlorine? Crossing my fingers I got that right finally :D

I think you are getting it. When you are fighting algae, the FC is being consumed day and night. During the day, you also have the sun consuming some,and if your CYA level is too low, then the majority of the FC goes to the sun and not to fighting algae. But remember, even at night your FC is still being consumed by the organisms your are fighting, so keeping it high enough such that when morning comes, you are still above your minimum shock level is important. Bottom line, you pool will clear faster if the FC roller coaster lows are always higher than your minimum shock level!

That brings up an important point...how much CYA have you intentionally added?

I haven't added any stabilizer to the pool yet. The pool is pretty clear at the moment and has been for over a week. Well, not as crystal clear as everyone's here yet but I think coming from a pool that had hundreds of tadpoles and earth worms in the bottom I'm getting there. I can see every bit of dust on the deep end. I'm not even balanced yet and I'm already OCD on it lol

Okay, for some reason I thought you had added CYA. So re-reading the thread, you have not added stabilizer, and your testing suggests it did not have any CYA in the pool when you moved in (at least not measurable amounts). You need to get some in there. For now, I would shoot for 20-30 ppm and adjust your Chlorine additions to reflect that. Although your pool sounds like it is looking much better ( :goodjob: ), this will allow/help you to finish off the algae.

I might of thrown you off with the more stabilizer and washing soda.....so sorry for that one. Should have read stabilizer and more washing soda :)

I'll add enough stabilizer to the pool to get it to the 20-30 mark. Hopefully then I can see that I'm actually doing the cya test correctly lol. I feel like a mad scientist going out to the pool with my awesome kit tho. I can imagine what the neighbors think when they drive up their driveway and see us with the test kit all the time :lol:

My kit is working double duties tho teaching my 10 year old how to measure it, which he is loving helping Mom get the pool ready.

After quite a few days of heavy rain I once again was able to test. I'll have to drain a bit more from the pool today since the water is sitting above the skimmers again. But my CYA levels are up, hooray, so I was doing the test right after all. Here's this mornings tests (Yes, I should have dumped chlorine in there yesterday but the rain wouldn't let up without me getting soaked).

FC- 1.5
CC- .5
T - 2.0
TA-50 (Still need to get that up)
CYA- 30
PH- 7.2

Temps are staying around 78-80.

It's crystal clear still this morning but I'm starting to see it sparkle. Now to vacuum the dirt particles that I can see after the tons of rain that we had the past few days. I'll vacuum and then up my chemicals with pool calculator. Atleast we'll have a few more weeks to swim in a sparkly pool. I'm really contemplating calling the propane dealer to have them come put in the tank so we can have heated water through september after all this work lol

It has been awhile since I've looked at your whole thread, but I thought you were doing the shocking process on your pool (http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool)?

At 30 CYA you should be above 13 ppm FC all the time (rain or shine, night or day) until:

1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
3. And the water is clear.

All three of the above must pass at same time.

If I am wrong on where you are in the process, have you done an OCLT (with close to FC shock levels) to make sure you are not fighting something still? The only one I see was when you were at a low (3 ppm) level.

I just want to be sure your pool is clear of algae, for this year and next :)