New owner Pool/Spa build in Orlando FL

Adyteo

Aug 2, 2023
Orlando, FL
After slowly building up the back yard (by myself after finishing working my regular job) over the past 2 years, my wife and I are at a point where we want a Spa and Pool built.

I have reached out to 6-8 pool builders in the area, received quotes back thus far from 4 of them and all quotes were over $90k for what I want. Not wanting to take a loan to have this build, over the past 6 months I started researching how I can act as the PM, sub-contract all the work, and save some money while getting the things we want without paying a fortune.

I visited neighbors that started building pools so I can understand more about the construction and how things work. I viewed permits submitted in the area for pool constructions and ended up connecting with a local PE.

I decided to move forward with the design and engineering paperwork needed for the Orange County construction permits but the work will be broken down into two separate projects. The initial project will be the Spa construction, followed by the Pool construction within 12-18 months. The reason for this is to fit the costs into my budget and not finance the construction.

Spa Budget:
  • Design and engineering drawings $400
  • Permitting $1000
  • Spa Pentair equipment $17000 (shared by the Pool once build)
  • Spa plumbing $2500
  • Spa electrical $2500
  • Spa construction (soil removal, excavation, rebar, gunite, and so on) $11000
  • Paver Deck $3000
  • New fence $7500
  • New Sod $1500

Spa size : 15' x 7' with 10 therapy jets

Pool Budget :
  • Design and engineering drawings $700
  • Permitting $2000
  • Pool equipment $3000 (main equipment shared with the Spa)
  • Pool Plumbing $1500
  • Pool Electrical $1500
  • Pool construction $18000
  • Paver Deck $5000
  • New Sod $1500
  • Landscaping $5000
Pool size: 15' x 23'

I am looking for any general feedback/opinions/thoughts.

Construction details:
Pool Size: 15' x 23'
  • Zero edge (infinity)
  • 4' to 5' depth
  • 16' bench at the deep end
  • White marble coping
  • Glass waterline tile
  • Blue pebble finish
Spa Size: 7' x 15' w/ 10 hydro-therapy jets (with additional blower)
  • Zero edge (infinity)
  • White marble coping
  • Blue pebble finish
Sun Pad: water depth (1st step of the pool) - Optional.

Paver Deck Size: Add pavers to blend in the existing paver deck. No screen enclosure.

Backyard faces east which gets sunlight until about 7 PM in the summer.
Electric heat pump because the house has electric solar panels and currently producing ~1500kWh more than the monthly usage.

Pentair equipment:
  • Pentair IntelliCenter i8PSIC60 Kit - Pool and Spa with Load Center and IC60
  • Pentair IntelliFlo3 VSF 3.0HP
  • Pentair UltraTemp 140HC Heat Cool Pump - Almond
  • Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, 320 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
  • Pentair MicroBrite Color LED Light - 12V (3 in pool, 2 in spa)
  • Pentair MagicStream Deck Jet II
  • Other misc equipment (water leveler, bubbler, blower, and so on)

Plumbing: 2-3" Sch40 piping. Spa will be completed first and the Pool plumbing will tie into the Spa equipment.

Deck is pavers and I will built that myself.
Fire pit & outdoor kitchen already in place, with the pizza oven being under construction (see backyard pictures below). The Spa will be build 3-4ft from the Lanai deck, and the Pool after.

Questions
  1. General design feedback (see rough design below).
  2. Anything wrong with the construction being split in 2 projects to control the overall spend?
  3. Thoughts on the infinity zero edge spa and pool?
    • Should I raise it to 12" to make it a more natural to sit on the coping for someone not in the spa?
  4. Equipment choices feedback?
IMG_7127.jpg
IMG_7126.jpg

Rough design:
Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 10.21.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 10.21.32 PM.png

I would be really nervous about splitting the job into 2 jobs. Building a pool is a messy ordeal and you would have to count on them messing up and having to redo your spa plumbing, electrical, decking, yard, etc. which will eat into your cost savings.

Another consideration is pricing. Inflation is high right now, especially for pools and discretionary spending. Count on your pool going up a good amount if you delay that construction by 1-2 years.

The project is reachable but here are a few things to consider,
most trades will have minimum charges for the size of the job. These minimums actually raise the price of the overall cost of the project.
Not having the same crews build the pool after the spa is constructed may run into problems with continuing some one else’s work.
Plaster colors may not be as close in matching as if they were applied at the same time.
Infinity pools are challenging for builders who do them on a regular basis and without the proper knowledge the outcome can be problematic.
If you raise the spa to +12” you will lose partial view of the pool from inside the house. For seating around the outside of the spa a +18” may be a more comfortable height.

Have you sat in a concrete spa? It is nothing like sitting in a "real" spa/hot tub. The comfort is not there in the concrete spa. You can't really lounge in them or lean back too much. The jet placement will not be as good or effective as well. I would REALLY think about building the pool with a "real" spa/hot tub by it so you can hop from the spa to the pool as wanted.

JJ_Tex, I understand the issues with building a pool after a spa was built but I believe I can still control the cost and not eat the savings.

Aqua-holics, you raised some fair points that I need to consider. Why do you consider infinity pools challenging for builders? Is it possible to build a pool where the water line is flushed with the coping and still have a regular skimmer?

Kimkats, I understand the big differences between the regular hot tub and a concrete spa, with the comfort being the biggest issue. I was looking into the traditional hot tubs (I used to own one when we lived in GA), however, the HOA does not allow traditional hot tubs (how crazy right?!), so that idea was shut down fast.

Will it make sense to build something like a smaller plunge pool with quite a few therapy jets and plenty of sitting? I considered this idea, but I am afraid it will look silly in the large yard.

Hi neighbor!

I would 100% rather get in a heater pool during the non-summer months, than a spa. Are you sure you actually will use a spa enough to justify building it?

Hi neighbor!

I would 100% rather get in a heater pool during the non-summer months, than a spa. Are you sure you actually will use a spa enough to justify building it?
Hello!
Most of the times when we go visit friends that have Pool/Spa combos, we use the Spa over the Pool. Even my daughter prefers the Spa, however, I can see where the Pool will be used more than a Spa.

Today I had a call with the engineer and he mentioned I should consider building everything at once and see the most savings. So now I will rethink the whole thing.

Lots of thoughts…

I’m not a hydro engineer but the math seems a bit short on the plumbing size for the spa. Without running it through my spreadsheet, I’d expect you would need at least 3” suction and 2.5” return to satisfy the spa therapies.

Filter size seems a bit small as well. Now, I’m in a different part of the country so it may be a little different with the garbage that ends up in the pool and ultimately back at the filter but, two questions.

1) Will the 320 filter move enough water for the demand of the amount of spa therapies?
2) How often do you want to be taking that filter apart to clean the filters? Spend a few extra dollars to enjoy your pool and spend less time enduring it.

Great job on Pentair pumps. Stick with Pentair, but consider looking at their premium brand Sta-Rite for filters.

Skip the Intelicenter and consider Poolside.Tech “the attendant” for your pool automation. One great thing about these guys is they designed their system to talk to any and all equipment developed in the last decade or two. Get the best of everything! Pump, filter, lights, actuator valves… regardless of brand.

Same for the pool light. Pentair pool lights are archaic technology. Look at PAL lighting.

I would also encourage you to look into A&A skimmers and drains even if you’re not looking to do an in-floor cleaning system. A Venturi skimmer is the only type that will still effectively skim when the pump is running at its slower speed(s). And, in my case, allow the skimmer to skim while the vacuum is roving. I often have to sacrifice one for the other.

If you have any trouble sourcing the equipment talk to tspoolsupply.com

I would recommend looking into a Master Pool Guild member in your area, but it seems your confidently down a path. If it helps at all, $90K for a pool/spa seems about right.

I truly wish you the best luck on your project. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to DM me. I’ll do the best I can to help.

Reactions: StuartBound
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.