New owner of a very old concrete pool.

Thanks for the input pooldv. So if I round CYA to 50 and target FC is 6-8 then do I just start adding bleach a little bit at a time until I hit that target? Since there is no CL do I need to SLAM and get shock level FC to 20? Capn you let me know how much liquid CL I want to add at a time and how often to add It? I have 1 gallon of 12.5% and 1 at 6%.

your pool looks like it was built using cinderblocks and cement very common in that time period when it was built, most likely why original owner or developer never renovated it, could be wrong! only a local pool professional that looks at it in person can say, your pool and deck need some love save up and pimp it out! I always say what ever your driving you'll put in the same amount on your pool, example my truck is worth 25K if that was my pool I would put in 25K but on the cheap side look to spend 10k MINIMUM

Thanks for the input pooldv. So if I round CYA to 50 and target FC is 6-8 then do I just start adding bleach a little bit at a time until I hit that target? Since there is no CL do I need to SLAM and get shock level FC to 20? Capn you let me know how much liquid CL I want to add at a time and how often to add It? I have 1 gallon of 12.5% and 1 at 6%.

Use PoolMath, link at the top of each page, to calculate your dose. Normally, you would just add to get up to target can just add it all at once. It would be a good idea since FC is 0 to take it up to shock level. Test every few hours to see if you lose a lot of chlorine. When algae first gets started it will use up chlorine but you can't see the algae.

More here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Just butting in for a minute. The CYA test is the only one that is picky about where you do it. It should be done outside in bright daylight with the sun behind you, shaded by your body (not direct sun) and viewed at waist level. You mentioned you were doing your tests inside so I wanted to clarify that just in case.

My brain won't let me figure out right now if it would potentially read higher or lower if you do it indoors.

That test takes a while to get used to anyway so you might want to do another one during the day. (if in fact you did it inside the first time)

I'll go back to lurking now!

Just butting in for a minute. The CYA test is the only one that is picky about where you do it. It should be done outside in bright daylight with the sun behind you, shaded by your body (not direct sun) and viewed at waist level. You mentioned you were doing your tests inside so I wanted to clarify that just in case.

My brain won't let me figure out right now if it would potentially read higher or lower if you do it indoors.

That test takes a while to get used to anyway so you might want to do another one during the day. (if in fact you did it inside the first time)

I'll go back to lurking now!

Thanks for that clarification. I did the test again today outside. It looks more like 40 now. Possibly a smidge under 40. I pouring in the solution until that black dot is completely invisible, correct? I shouldn't be recording CYA if I can kind of make out the dot if I focus long enough, right?

So last night I added 128oz of 12.5%. Here are my test results from this morning....FC 3, TC 3.5 PH between 7.2 and 7.5. As I mentioned above I redid my cya test and it came out to be 40 maybe a little bit less. Pool math says to add 166 oz. Of 6% to get me to FC of 7. I have a 121oz jug so I'm going to add that and head out to the store.

It is best to do the test on a sunny day. Back to the sun. Hold the tube at the top between your thumb and finger. Let as much light flood in the side of the tube as you can without letting it into the top. Pour the sample back and forth and walk around in different light. Pour it to 40 and look, 50, etc until you feel confident in the number. Give or take 10 isn't a big deal because it is only 1 more PPM of FC for 10 more CYA.

Thanks for all the guidance fellas. I stock up on bleach. 4 gal of 6% and 4 of 12.5%. I also picked up some skimmer socks. While cleaning out my pump basket I realized the handle on the strainer is copper. I'm assuming that it isn't stock and probably is not good to have it in there. I'm replacing it with a piece of stainless steel rod that I had laying around. I'm going to check the one skimmer line for a clog because it just doesn't seem like it's pulling right. Once the pump is running I have to push the basket down to the bottom in order for it to not float around. The other skimmer just pulls the basket right down by pressure. I have one of those drain King balloons that you hook to a garden hose so I'm going to try that.

Do your skimmers share a line? If they do... the majority of the work will be done by the skimmer closest to the pump. (Shortest run) if you can turn THAT skimmers valve to closed... or just about... does the other skimmer take up the slack, and start pulling harder?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since both skimmers are on the same side and my pump is in between them I would say that the distance is equal. I put the hose down into the skimmer pipe and got water to come out of the pump basket but nothing came through that would cause a clog. I do have a seperate valve for each but I can't seem to get them balance by adjusting the valve partially closed for the other skimmer. As soon as I turn the valve about 1/4 from fully open the pressure at the filter drops. If I close it all the way my pressure goes from 10 to 5. Is there a chance I could have a partial clog that the water passes but at a reduced pressure? I don't think I have a suction leak because I don't see any air, even when I isolate that line.

On another note...My FC was 8.5 this morning. Mid day I added a gallon of 6% because it was pretty sunny and I figured that the chlorine was getting eaten up. I tested it again tonight after the sun went down. My PH was up to 7.8, CH dropped to 175 which I'm concerned about and FC was 4.5 so I added a half gallon of 12.5% waited an hour and added another half. I'm still confused how the CSI works. Do I have to add salt and borate for the csi numbers in pool math to be relavant? It says my CSi is0.03 and my target is -0.11

Today is day 3 of bleach. I've been keeping my FC above the minimum and adding some about twice a day. Tonight when I came home from work and tested my FC was 10.5. I added enough to bring FC up to slam level, waited about 2 hours until dark and tested again. I used the 25ml option for accuracy and FC was 16.8. I will test early tomorrow morning to see what OCLT shows. I don't expect a big loss because the water looks great. Hopefully, from here I will be able to maintain daily target without having to dump in so many gallons a day.

Not until OCLT is 1.0 or less. And I'd wait a bit after that for things to settle. How much stains are there? Can you spot treat them? It would be better to wait until fall and just swim now.

Definitely cannot spot treat em. Much of the bottom is stained and there are many large spots on the sides. It was much worse but right before I started using the TFPC method I crushed up 1000, 500mg vitamin C pills and broadcast it in the pool. Many spots disappeared but slowly came back because I didn't know about using a sequestering agent at that time. I will hold off though. So I came home today and FC is 8.5. I will bring it back up to 16 tonight and test again in the morning. A question i hapve for Once I get it OCLT Less than 1 is adding in evening if I'm already at my normal target. If I'm already at target then do I wait until following evening and hope that it doesn't drop below minimum?

So my OCLT is 0. FC was 18 last night and the same when I woke up this morning. Still playing around with the suction line ball valves trying to equalize both skimmers. I also adjusted the Jets last night because it seems like they were forcing things to float past the skimmers instead of going into the skimmer. I had them both pointed down and to the right. It seemed like things got better when I just pointed them straight down

The objective on the timing of adding FC is to be above minimum the next time you add more. I like to be at least 1 or 2 above minimum for some safety buffer in case a varmint stops by the pool to leave a surprise.

Generally a circular rotation is best for skimming efficiency. I originally thought that counterclockwise rotation would work best in my pool. But, there were a couple of dead spots so after a couple years I reversed the rotation and it worked much better. I also find that staring at leaves go past the skimmer and tinkering isn't all that helpful. :) I also observed that but then when I don't look all the leaves are in the skimmer and life is good.

Try Proteam Metal Magic or Metal Out. We've had several members recently find that they do a good job of lifting iron stains and sequestering the iron.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.