New owner , Cleaning and Circulation 100% Chemistry I need help

John Huge

Mar 19, 2023
I have a 16k in ground we just took off the copper ionizer and trying to get my chlorine up . I double shocked with Hy Cal and have been adding liquid chlorine, last night I added 4 bags of shock Hy Cal and this morning this is my reading.Emptying the pool isn’t a great option the city just imposed water restrictions and we are penalized heavily, and likely entering the next phase , it’s super dry here . I checked to see if there was anyone who filters water for the CYA but didn’t find anyone . Any suggestions on improving my Chlorine numbers?4F935E4D-9A2A-42F9-A72F-129B36C4B6F7.jpeg

Attachments

• 51007169-5AB2-4309-B15B-6919D0217163.jpeg
    51007169-5AB2-4309-B15B-6919D0217163.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 12
I have a 16k in ground we just took off the copper ionizer and trying to get my chlorine up . I double shocked with Hy Cal and have been adding liquid chlorine, last night I added 4 bags of shock Hy Cal and this morning this is my reading.Emptying the pool isn’t a great option the city just imposed water restrictions and we are penalized heavily, and likely entering the next phase , it’s super dry here . I checked to see if there was anyone who filters water for the CYA but didn’t find anyone . Any suggestions on improving my Chlorine numbers?View attachment 483624
Hey Welcome! The first step to realize is that TFP is dedicated to helping pool owners test their own water and make informed decisions about what to add and how to correct problems. The first thing everyone here has learned is that pool store testing is so unreliable that it causes lots of pool owners to add unnecessary stuff to their pool which makes things worse or wastes money. Pool store testing is THAT bad.

We only give advice based on a couple test kit results that have proven reliable. Either the Taylor K2006C from Amazon or the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. Once you get one of those we can provide more specific advice but the test results you did provide would indicate you have almost no chlorine.
I’d recommend only adding liquid chlorine until you get some better test results. The calhypo you have been adding leaves calcium behind which will build up over time and cause scaling. The only way to get rid of calcium or CYA is to drain the water and replace it with fresh stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.