New Owner Chlorine Testing Question

azp00l

Apr 7, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
Hello all, brand new pool owner. I've read through a lot of the articles etc.... I have on hand now a TFS-Pro test kit which I am learning to use. My main newbie question is this: when I test for chlorine with the daily CL/PH comparator block test using the yellow and red reagents, what CL level am I testing? FC, CC, TC? I haven't done the extended chlorine drop test yet, because Chlorine is currently at zero.

My main problem right now is CYA was sky high when we moved in. Like off the charts 150+. After two partial drain and refills it is now around 80. I'm currently doing one more partial drain and refill to try and get it at the preferred 45ish level for a liquid chlorine pool. My plan is once I have CYA in range then I'll start working on the rest of the chemistry. Thanks!

The chlorine test on the comparator block can best be described as a go/no-go for chlorine. It doesn't provide the level of accuracy necessary to manage your pool on a daily basis. Use the FAS/DPD drop-based test for that.

Welcome to TFP!

Especially until I generally get a handle on things.
This. As a new user of the kit, test FC daily until you see how FC is holding. You should be able to estimate your pool's daily FC demand and adjust dosage accordingly. From there, you can reduce FC testing frequency as your comfort level increases. Test pH with the same frequency, TA once a week (or more as needed), CH and CYA monthly.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgtfp and Newdude
I usually test the pool every day once I first open, then spread it out some as things 'stabilize'. It only takes me about 5-10 minutes, so its not a big deal.

So for example, my daily Chlorine-Test-While-Drinking-My-Second-Coffee
1. Make some coffee
2. Test the coffee...yummy
3, Fill the syringes from the pool (I use a pipe-stick-thingy now), go back inside and sit on my Den couch...
4. Add 10ml to the 'Chlorine test' test vial (I keep one dedicated, as it does stain over time)
5. Throw the dedicated 'Chlorine Stirrer' into the vial
6. Put the vial on the SmartStir, hit the light/spin button...
7. Say 'No Balls'..and chuckle...because it reminds me of an old pre-meme meme
8. Add the FAS/DPD powder. Try to guess the FC level from how red it goes.
9. Start dripping in the R-0871 reagent - the first 5 or 6 drops fairly quickly because I know I should be around 6-7 FC which is 12-14 drops anyway
10. Get to 12-13, try to decide if it needs one more or not...usually end up rounding down to a whole number (so 13 drops = 12 = 6ppm FC
11. Drink some more coffee...still yummy, just not quite as hot now
12. Add 5 drops of R-0003...look to see if I can see any pink tinge...usually not, but if its just a hint, then I don't bother measuring CC...as it'd be under 1ppm anyway
13. Look at my 25ml syringe with 15ml left in it....consider shooting the wife with it
14. Decide 13 would be a bad idea, shoot the dog with it...who thinks it's hilarious...
Unfortunately the pipe-stick-thingy has removed this little piece of joy from my life
15. Rinse everything, put it all away.
16. Drink some more coffee...man that stuff is good.

Total (including the coffee making) maybe 5 minutes. Without the coffee...probably under a minute if I was pushed for time. Once you've done it a few times, it's easy.