New owner build in North Texas

Pretty! I love the shape and flow! I would not worry about the color until you get water in and balanced. Or just have the kids play in the mud and roll around on it LOL

Kim:cat:

Thank you Kim! With all this rain we keep getting, we are not having any problems keeping it muddy!!

I like the color. It almost gives it a travertine look.
Thanks Marla! They did do a really good job and it's so nice and smooth.

I agree. It looks nice and clean and COOL!
Thanks Yippee, that has been a plus! It hasn't felt hot at all on my feet!

I love the color too and don't think it's too light! plus lighter is cooler on the feet, I have a friend that wishes they'd gone lighter on theirs.
Thanks Sham! I think I'm getting used to it. I am thankful that they did a really good job!

It all looks beautiful!!! Congratulations!!
Thanks Nini! I'm really hoping they are able to fix yours! You paid a lot of money and you should be happy with it!

We picked out one of our palm trees! They got a new shipment in and we found a nice one!
20160527_140232.jpg

This is the tropical look I'm going with...
20160527_134312.jpg

20160525_163733.jpg

20160525_164511.jpg

20160525_164330.jpg

Anybody have a tropical looking landscape you would like to share pics of?? Need some more ideas!

Hello! Just wanted to say congrats and the Pool looks like it will be an amazing build.

Ok...so I caught up on the thread and it is amazing!

Thanks so much!! We are so excited it's coming to an end soon!!

Cannas come in many varieties..... flower colors, leaf colors, and height. They are great! Tropical hibiscus are good too. They wont make it through winter here, so just put them in pots. Rose of sharon bad for dogs.....http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/rose-sharon

Elephant ears can add to your tropical look. The will multiply quickly.

Thanks for that info!! I bought 2 of the, i think she called this variety "hardy" hibiscus. The blooms are bigger than the tropical hibiscus and you can plant them in the ground. My mom has tons of Plumeria (she's going to bring me some), which i love! I killed the other ones she has given me...she has a very green thumb and I'm not sure what happen to me :( I think it's called having 3 kids, a husband who is kid-like, and a dog hehehe... I have more motivation now to keep up a nice landscape and vegetable garden!

Wish we could grow palms here in Ok. I'm hoping to get some of the good quality fake ones, but they are expensive! I'm not much on the green thumb either, so fake is probably best for me :)

Your landscape is going to be beautiful!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We really like our cannas. Yes they multiply, but if planted in a large enough space you should be fine. You can always sell, trade or give away some after dividing them up years down the road if they get to be too much for your space. I don't really see that as a downside. Musa Basjoo bananas will grow while its warm. When the first freeze hits, they will turn brown. I dug up and stored about 5 bare rooted(completely dry) in our garage this winter. They are doing great and hopefully will be as tall as our back fence by the end of the growing season. I also left a bunch in the ground. They have all grown back as well. Our elephant ears have grown like crazy. I have divided them 3 times in the last 2 years.

20160601_171953_zpsktpx8txr.jpg

20160601_171856_zpsdyfvk9gh.jpg

canna1_zpsosuqjtwv.jpg

20160601_171829_zpszttt80pn.jpg

20160601_172058_zpscoxev5ek.jpg

20160601_172138_zpswcqzpbgp.jpg

Our pindo palm

Just know once you have them you can't get rid of them.

Thanks for the warning!! I had to really think that through! I ended up taking the chance and we had them planted today...I hope I didnt make a mistake!!

I'll second that. I swore I'd never plant cannas again until we moved. I wised up and planted them in pots. That worked very well; in fact they seemed to like being in pots. They didn't try to take over my yard.

Your landscaping is going to be beautiful!
Suz
Thanks Suz! We just finished today and I'm loving it so far!

Wish we could grow palms here in Ok. I'm hoping to get some of the good quality fake ones, but they are expensive! I'm not much on the green thumb either, so fake is probably best for me :)

Your landscape is going to be beautiful!

Why can't you? I would think the climate is pretty similar to north texas, no? The windmill palms, which I have, apparently can withstand the cold we get here in the Dallas area without even needing to be covered. I LOVE them!!

We really like our cannas. Yes they multiply, but if planted in a large enough space you should be fine. You can always sell, trade or give away some after dividing them up years down the road if they get to be too much for your space. I don't really see that as a downside. Musa Basjoo bananas will grow while its warm. When the first freeze hits, they will turn brown. I dug up and stored about 5 bare rooted(completely dry) in our garage this winter. They are doing great and hopefully will be as tall as our back fence by the end of the growing season. I also left a bunch in the ground. They have all grown back as well. Our elephant ears have grown like crazy. I have divided them 3 times in the last 2 years.

20160601_171953_zpsktpx8txr.jpg

20160601_171856_zpsdyfvk9gh.jpg

canna1_zpsosuqjtwv.jpg

20160601_171829_zpszttt80pn.jpg

20160601_172058_zpscoxev5ek.jpg

20160601_172138_zpswcqzpbgp.jpg

Our pindo palm

We had ours planted along the fence line in one row. Good to know I can separate them and replant so now I can do one more staggered row at some point! Thanks! Your landscape looks great!

I'm a little behind on posting pics. Here is our plaster being done. Instead of mixing all of it in and getting a small ratio of glass on the top, they mix some in and throw a bunch on top so all the prettiness doesn't get lost underneath. Then they have another mixture of a small amount of the red glass and the abalone shells and throw that on there as well.
DSC_8909.jpg

Now the abalone
DSC_8933.jpg

DSC_8998.jpg

20160607_103110.jpg

20160607_095754_1.jpg

First time in...no time for bathing suits
DSC_9079.jpg

DSC_9190.jpg

DSC_9192.jpg

DSC_9195.jpg

DSC_9196.jpg

DSC_9198.jpg

DSC_9199.jpg

DSC_9202.jpg

DSC_9204.jpg

20160610_112448.jpg

WOW! That is all! Just WOW!

Love EVERYTHING about it! That waterfall.......I bet it sounds awesome! The plaster is unreal! Look at the shine! :sun:

Have you been able to get the kids out yet?? I bet when they do get out they eat and head straight to bed!

Looks amazing! Enjoy your new pool!
Thank you! We have definitely been enjoying it!!
Looks amazing!!! Great job on pool and landscaping!
Thanks Amanda! It was a lot of work, but very worth it!!
Very very nice! Really love the look of everything and it must be so nice (and maybe surreal) to be finished and swimming. Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much! Sooo nice to be finished!! This is our first pool and we are LOVING it!!
Killer pool, congrats! I love your pool tile in the waterline and the stacked stone just above it on the "wall". Very similar to what we have picked out which is reassuring (for us).
Thanks LVAC! I HAD to have the stacked stone. Ever since I saw something with it, there was no changing my mind :) My husband wasn't in such agreement with me, but he's glad that's what we did (he just needs to learn I'm always right haha!) I need to mosey on over to your pool build!
WOW! That is all! Just WOW!

Love EVERYTHING about it! That waterfall.......I bet it sounds awesome! The plaster is unreal! Look at the shine! :sun:

Have you been able to get the kids out yet?? I bet when they do get out they eat and head straight to bed!

Thanks Kim!! I guess I have been so busy ENJOYING our pool, it has taken forever for me to respond!! I really do LOVE the plaster!! We are just so thankful to have this forum! I can't imagine having done this pool build without y'all!!!! As skeptical as my husband was with all of this, he finally came around and trusted me and what I have learned! We had a big argument during our startup. His pool builder friend told him to put x amt of baking soda and x amt of acid. I told him I needed to put in x amt of baking soda, which was almost double. (I was getting help from here at the time) He had made a comment that I took offense to as I was the one doing ALL the research during this whole build. So as he was brushing the pool, I innocently locked him outside for a short period of time. I finally let him in and he went to bed. I put my double amt of baking soda in and the acid and voila, the next day everything was perfect. He hasn't questioned me from that day on :) Haha!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

275bce07318b0ac292cc5d128e467527.jpg

6c10f51e7a97f2a9b0200388de9bde2a.jpg

Our trial run on the outdoor movie projector. Its a rear projection screen. Hubby still need to build a frame for it.
1aa92766424ec1985b8f07b9b09e5f97.jpg

bfc3b85f3a0c4a7b3a00d72b94f7a18a.jpg

My 6 yr old son was excited to be named the first one to skinny dip!
dfa549db5bca92c0d8a11e7e26a63219.jpg

Crazy brother in law came to the rescue after tiki torch was completely on fire. Then proceeded to spill torch fuel all in the pool.
976b91226767d6acbb4e09c557ca5395.jpg

My project. Found this gem on Craigslist for cheap!
3b9fe26bf39d2fcc4b25d187ee7d47cd.jpg

0711665d4e32b8b5ca624805f86fc352.jpg

Found these on Craigslist too and I sewed some pillows
842dd1917afcb1b5a105169fe0dd4f5f.jpg

Loving this guy!
fd9b833ac3cb8f81241ac669c5cd2ae3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.