New owner build in Central California

gto65racer

Jan 31, 2023
Atwater, CA
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and building/owning a pool. I have been browsing through the forum for the last few weeks looking for information on designing my pool. I live in Central California and have decided to build a pool at my house.

I have decided to build the pool myself and sub everything out. I have a background in construction and have worked in the civil engineering industry for 20 years.

I have many questions and really don't know where to start, so I guess I will start with the layout of the pool. We want a 38'x18' pool with a baja self. We want to go with 42" on the shallow end transitioning to 60" over 12'. The deep end is 96" flat over 12'.

I would appreciate your input on the design, doing an owner/build, and any sub-contractors to get bids from in Central California.

pool layout.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
If you provide a full picture of the plot plan with the pool drawing then info can be given so when submitting for the permit it will meet the basic requirements.
Your first contractor will be a steel engineering firm.
Pool Engineering Inc. (714)630-6100
For contractor reasons, What area of central California are you in?
In regards to the drawing, prevailing wind direction needs to be known for skimmer location, are you wanting a auto-fill, overflow, type of lighting.
Is that a step at the end of the Baja shelf?

HI and LOVE your design! That is going to be a FUN swimming pool with a diving end!!! OH YEAH!!! I see a EAT swim lane!!!

One thing I would think about is removing the planter on the long edge of the pool and put in a swim out there. That will be a great spot to sit in the pool as well as serve for an place for anyone to exit the pool.

Kim:kim:

If you provide a full picture of the plot plan with the pool drawing then info can be given so when submitting for the permit it will meet the basic requirements.
Your first contractor will be a steel engineering firm.
Pool Engineering Inc. (714)630-6100
For contractor reasons, What area of central California are you in?
In regards to the drawing, prevailing wind direction needs to be known for skimmer location, are you wanting a auto-fill, overflow, type of lighting.
Is that a step at the end of the Baja shelf?
Thank you for the reply. I am working on the plot plan right now an should have it done Monday. When I do I will post it.

I have contacted Pool Engineering and Im going to use them for the steel and concrete.

I am on Atwater California just north of Merced and about 30 minutes south of Modesto.

The orientation of the drawing is north to the top. The prevailing winds come from the southeast. Should I put two skimmers? Would I put both of them on the north side?

That is a step at the end of the baja shelf. I guess I probably dont need it because even with the step it is more than 2' of a drop. What do you think?

HI and LOVE your design! That is going to be a FUN swimming pool with a diving end!!! OH YEAH!!! I see a EAT swim lane!!!

One thing I would think about is removing the planter on the long edge of the pool and put in a swim out there. That will be a great spot to sit in the pool as well as serve for an place for anyone to exit the pool.

Kim:kim:
Thanks for the input. I am not totally familiar with all of the terminology yet. What do you mean by "put in a swim out"?

My son just started in waterpolo and swimming this year, so I finally caved to the pressure of my wife and son wanting a pool.

Take a look at the scribble I did. I added teh swim out. It will really just be a tiny shelf. It could be 12" or 9" deep. I will just be big enough for a person to sit on or push up on to get out of the pool at the deep end.
pool layout.PNG

I had DYI pools and spa design my pool. Click the link on my thread to check out my build. Also, I live in Central California If you need contacts for your build ill be more than happy to share them with you.

I am working on the plans for my pool to submit to the City for my permit. I have the engineering plans from my engineer but I need to prepare the plot plan for the City. After that I would like to put a full set of plans together to work off of with my subs.

Does anyone have a set of permit plans they used in California that they would share with me so I make sure I get all of the information the City wants on them? I asked the City for an example but they would not provide one. They keep pushing me to using a pool contractor.

I have been a civil engineering designer and project manager for 20 years so I know how to put a set of plans together for a roadway, residential development, or commercial development but I have never done a pool

Thanks in advance for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has been a while but we are finally getting started on my pool. I am still doing owner build and I found a good contractor to work with. I just bought all of my equipment and would like to know if there is anything else I should get for the equipment?

I am ordering my skimmer and pool drain today. For the skimmer I was going with 2 Paramount Paraskim's and for the drain a Paramount MDX-R3, SDX2, and DDC Canister. What are your thoughts on these?

Attachments

• pool equipment invoice.pdf
    239.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: kimkats
We are starting the plumbing and electrical tomorrow. I would like to get feed back from the group on placement of the lights and returns. I plan 5 returns and 2-3 lights. The contractor is suggesting up to 5 lights and I would like to see what everyone thins for the placement. I am using Pentair Microbrights.

Attachments

• 20230426_plot_plan.pdf
    206 KB · Views: 5
Here’s a picture of a 40’ long pool with 4 lights in the pool, I would think about adding 1 more to the 2 already on the 36’ wall.

The reef step needs a light or it will be shadowed when the pool light are, on like in the picture provided, (this particular pool has 7 lights on the reef step that are not on this picture)
The reef step also needs a return line to help with water movement.IMG_5290.png

Here’s a picture of a 40’ long pool with 4 lights in the pool, I would think about adding 1 more to the 2 already on the 36’ wall.

The reef step needs a light or it will be shadowed when the pool light are, on like in the picture provided, (this particular pool has 7 lights on the reef step that are not on this picture)
The reef step also needs a return line to help with water movement.View attachment 556032
Thanks for the picture and the info. It is very helpful.

Does anyone have any experience with NPT Polished Scapes? We are using that for the finish in the Skipping Rock color. I can not find any good pictures of a finished pool in that color and we are trying to decide on tile. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a link we put together to help show case different plasters and colors. I hope it helps