New Motor Leak

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
We just replaced our motor the other day. Unfortunately it's leaking water. My husband took the motor apart and checked everything to find the new seal assembly he had just installed to be cracked. We went and purchased a new seal assembly. He put that in to find we still have a leak. I've attached a photo, though you can't really see the water very well. But the water is coming out just beyond the mounting plate on the motor side, and it's coming out at the top part (that we can see). It just rained, so we dried the motor off and ran it for a brief moment to get this photo, so please disregard any other water you're seeing.

After doing some searching in the forum, I'm wondering if you might agree that it could be the seal plate - maybe it's got a crack or a hairline crack. How likely could it be that it is instead the diffuser? We haven't replaced either of these items since owning the pool, so we don't know how old they might be.

Lastly, is it safe at all to run the motor while it's got this leak happening? My first thought would be it could damage the motor, but I want to be totally sure, because I'm really hoping we can avoid a green pool while we're figuring all this out. I did put extra bleach in two days again and gave it a good brushing.

motor.jpg

UPDATE! Leak fixed! So we took the entire motor off (again) and double checked the seal assembly and checked for cracks of any sort in the seal plate and mounting plate. We attempted to press the seal assembly in harder thinking it looked like maybe we didn't have it all the way in, and realizing that any lack of that would cause water to get behind it and in behind the mounting plate where the water was coming out. Then when screwing the entire thing back onto the pump housing, we made sure the screws were as tight as possible to account for any pressure the motor puts on everything when it's in motion. All looks good now. Hoping crisis averted. I know no one responded, but wanted to give an update of what we did just in case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.