New Motor - Funny Sounds

Mar 20, 2012
My motor died on my pool. It made a humming noise. The run capacitor went bad. I replaced it and the new one went up in smoke. I think the shaft also failed because the bottom half of the motor was falling to pieces due to rust so I decided to replace the entire motor, shaft, O-rings, and impellor (went from 2.5HP up rated to 2HP full rated based on recommendations from InyoPools.com and Hayward recommended a different impeller). Got it installed today and it's working well except there is a faint revving sound almost like it's trying to prime itself. I replaced my motor with a Century B294. The motor primed itself OK and I think there is still some air in the lines because when I turn it off I can hear gurgling.

Is a revving sound normal? I had my last motor for 6 years and I don't remember a revving sound but maybe I just didn't pay attention. Is it safe to run? Could it just be air that will eventually purge?

Do you mean Century B2984?

Do you have a video?

Is the issue at both high and low speed?

Yes, sorry, B2984.

Here is a video:

IMG 6225 - YouTube

In the video the pump starts at high with the booster pump running. I switch the pump to low, then realize the booster is running and turn it off. I then switch the pool pump off and then turn it back on so you can hear transition noises. I know the sound when switching from high to low never sounded like this before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.