New Motor and Impeller - now won't stay primed

May 21, 2009
Hi All,

I replaced my pump motor with the exact same 1Hp model:

A.O. Smith 1 HP, 56Y Frame, Up-Rate Motor (B2853)

I noticed that the impeller that was on the old pump was a rated for 1/2 hp - 3/34 hp (Impeller, C105-92ps Sta-rite (c105-92ps)) so I bought an impeller and diffuser that was rated for 1 HP (same as my motor) : DIFFUSERDURA-GLAS 3/4HP-1.5HP FULL RATED, 1-2HP URATED/ MAX-E-GLAS 3/4HP-2HP FULL RATED, 1-2.5HP UP.

Replaced the seals inside too and then when I power on it will take a while to prime and then when it does prime, it completely loses it in about 3 seconds , the it repeats this cycle of slowly building up to prime , priming briefly, and then losing it all the way.

Does this have something to do with the replacement parts that I upgraded with ?

thanks

What is happening in the skimmer while trying to prime?

Also, your new impeller is probably too big. A full rated pump usually had a service factor in the 1.65 range. So a 1 hp pump really takes a 1.65 hp total motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.