New Member / New Pool Owner / Many Questions

Yep, the Poolmath calculator confirms close to 1.5 gallons to raise your FC from zero to 10-11, so stick with it. You have some serious organics and/or ammonia tearing-up that chlorine. At some point, your FC will begin to hold and start to hoover around 10 longer. Keep with the 10-min drill. Good luck.

Well, I suppose it's good the CC dropped some. I sure would like to see that FC holding better though after 10 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, just to confirm for FC testing ... you are doing the following right?

Example: 10 ml sample with one heaping scoop of powder. Count drops until clear and divide by 2. I.e. 14 drops = FC of 7.

Doing this every 10 minutes - excluding store runs. :)

Correct! Wooooo! :goodjob: You had me worried there for a bit. That's much better. Yes, increase FC every 10 min back to FC of 10.

Now once you are able to hold an FC of 10 for at least 10 minutes, you'll be past the worst of it and ready to start a "SLAM". So then you'll adjust a couple things as follows:
- Make sure pH is between 7.2 - 7.4 (Actually you can do that now); don't pour bleach and acid at the exact same time though. :)
- Adjust CYA to "30". Add stabilizer as required, but try not to exceed 30 by too much of possible. Re-check CYA Weds to confirm level
- Adjust FC to "12". Now you are in official SLAM mode (link below). Have patience, and stick with everything on that page. Testing FC (12) should slow down and spread-out better once it starts holding, but you'll still need to test it 2-3 times per day. You'll find a good pattern of how often to check as you get going.

Good luck!

So i need to slam now? I don't think I have the bleach for that right now.

Is there no chance that I can just hold this 10 until bed tonight then see what it's like tomorrow?

What exactly do you think is going on here? Water looks great, clear and blue.

You won't officially SLAM yet. You're' not ready for that until you can hold FC at 10 for at least 10 minutes. But you can check and adjust the pH if needed.

If you need to break later, then just pick-up where you left off and refer back to these last couple posts for instructions. Based on the tremendous amount of chlorine your pool was eating, I suspect you had an ammonia issue. Ammonia can happen after winter or when opening a pool late in the year and conditions make it perfect for CYA to convert to ammonia. That's another reason why for now, all of your focus is on FC and not CYA or anything else. For now, it's more important to neutralize the ammonia completely. Only then, once you make it past the 10-min drills, can you begin a normal SLAM.

The SLAM instructions say that I need to keep that SLAM level of FC, but how does one do this if they're at work for 8 hour days? is it still doable if I get it to the SLAM level just before I'm off to work, then let it sit all day, and continue the monitoring after work?

I'd love to have this done before the weekend so we can swim.

- - - Updated - - -

Another test

FC 11
CC 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stay with it as best as you can while you're at home. We understand that when you have to leave, there's not much you can do. But for this evening, breaking that cycle of FC dropping to the floor is most important. As soon as you can get FC to hoover at/above 10, you'll be in a much better position.

I would leave the pump running if possible. Even when the 10-min drill is complete and we move-on to the regular "SLAM", it requires the pump to be on 24/7 for good chlorine dispersal and catching dead algae. But once you're exhausted for the evening, give that pool one last dose of bleach and then pick-up where you left off in the morning. Make sure to not add anything else to the water other than just the bleach for now. Once we know you've beaten this ammonia bug, then you can pick-up with the instructions I noted above in post #25.

Okay, if your next FC test comes-back at 8 or above, I think you've got that bug kicked and you're ready to transition to the next phase - "SLAM". So thinking back to post #25, here's what I want you to do either tonight or as soon as you are able tomorrow:
- Make sure pH is between 7.2 - 7.4. If you must lower pH, don't pour muriatic acid and bleach at the exact same time; give them about 15 min apart with good mixing.
- Adjust CYA to "30" (see below). Add stabilizer as required, but try not to exceed 30 by too much of possible. Re-check CYA Weds to confirm level
- Adjust FC to "12" from here-on until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria. Now you are in official SLAM mode (link below). Have patience, and stick with everything on that SLAM page. Testing FC (12) should slow down and spread-out better once it starts holding better. You'll still need to test it somewhat often, but then eventually it will slow-down to 2-3 times per day. You'll find a good pattern of how often to check as you get going.

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

- - - Updated - - -

A SLAM doesn't mean you can't swim. In fact it's a good thing to get in the water to scrub the pool and move water around. Just make sure your FC is not over 12 when you decide to hop in. :splash:

bah it was not what I hoped

FC - 5

rebleached, checking again in 5 min.

All the store had left was the splashless bleach. Hoping that's not an issue. Clearly a bit heavier. I have no Muriatic Acid, so that'll be what I do tomorrow. I'll also add stabilizer to the skimmer via a sock. I'll stock up on bleach wednesday and plan on SLAMing Wed if the levels are right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.