New member from Kentucky. Tks for letting me join your awesome group.

Thank you kim. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to add all that into my post, or not especially with me being New here. Will searches on using panty hose in pool baskets link it back here?

I hated to post the pic of the dirty skimmer basket with the knee high panty hose on it, and then not tell them how to Safely/Correctly use them. I didn't know whether to do it in that post, or if I should move the teaching part, and the pic to a new post in another part of the forum? I thought if I did a new post I would title it: "Panty hose, not just for a night on the town, or a Winter hunting trip anymore." LOL, Catchy huh? LOL Have a wonderful night.

Thanks Lisa and Kim. LOL yeah, I thought the title was kind of catchy myself.

The reason I'd asked about putting it into this thread is because I wasn't sure if the actual word Pantyhose or Whatever the teaching or questions (that may generate extended answers) needed to be in the Title of the Thread, so it would develop appropriate tags for them to be directed back to it during their search?

That's why I was wondering if I should actually put that info, or any other teaching type things in their Own Separate Thread, with an appropriate title of the subject, in the proper forum section; instead of just including it inside of my Introduce Yourself Thread, so they don't have to filter through the rest of my confusion junk to find the answer they are searching for? LOL I know I worded that weird, but am I making any sense at all? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Also I have a few questions that I asked a while back, that I'm still curious about the answers. These things might be something that makes no big difference one way or another, but I'm trying to keep my pool at the most accurate levels possible so they don't appear to yo- yo up, and down as bad. It's more like a Friday Morning Pop Quiz lol. Ok everyone pick your pencils up, and you may begin lol.

I know everything that gets done has an effect (regardless of how large or small of an effect) on something else. So understanding which way is the best to make this process as accurate, and easy as possible is always a plus.

1)When exactly should your Chlorine levels during a SLAM be checked? In other words, does it make a difference on how accurate the levels will be depending on the time they are being checked? (I'm not referring to the time of day). See example questions below:

a)Will the levels be as accurate before a brushing, as they are after a brushing? Is it better to brush first then check your levels, or check your levels then brush? (Here's my thoughts on this: If brushing 1st (which is probably the best way), but then once you add Liquid Bleach after your check, you have to brush that area again to help mix it up so isn't that extra work? is that correct?)

b)Will the levels be as accurate before vacuuming as after? Is it better to vacuum 1st then check, or check the levels then vacuum?

c) Are the levels even close to accurate if checked in a pool where the pump has Not been running for at least 30 mins-1hour before they are checked?
For example if someone was in the middle of a SLAM, and their pump broke, yet they couldn't get it repaired until late afternoon; should they check the level in the AM anyway, and try to adjust the chlorine levels accordingly so they don't fall below SLAM, (although they can't circulate it, they can mix it a little with the brush), or do they just not worry about dropping below SLAM until after their pump is repaired, then start their Slam again if the levels have fallen to low?

2)When needing to add water to you pool, is it best to check the levels before the water is put in, go ahead, and adjust up to SLAM if low?
or
a)Is it best to wait until the new water is all in then check the level?
or
b) Would the most accurate way be to actually check the levels both before, and after adding water (which will of course use more chemicals, but at least the pools that are close to SLAM, won't drop below SLAM level during the water adding),adjusting SLAM level both times accordingly?

Ok that's all the questions I can think of right now, lol I'm sure there will be more to come soon.

My 7 AM FC-16 Adjust up to my SLAM level of 17, CC-.5. I'm again having to add water uggg, so I'll see (out of curiosity) how much it changes the levels after all the water is in.
Have a Wonderful Day!!! and Thank you all for everything.

oops I'm sorry I put in the wrong number above. I actually adjusted my SLAM level from 16 back up to 22, not 17. I went with the higher number so I could check it less, and to try to help compensate for all the water that is being added again. The pool water remains cloudy, ( but I put several bad things in the pool before this began so I'm sure some of them is still adding to the cloudiness too. I'm hoping the increase SLAM # will also the Chlorine find whatever is still lurking in there causing the water to be cloudy, and get it cleared up. Hopefully one day soon I will be able to see the bottom of my pool, that I've not seen in over 3 years.

Have a wonderful day.

1)When exactly should your Chlorine levels during a SLAM be checked? In other words, does it make a difference on how accurate the levels will be depending on the time they are being checked? (I'm not referring to the time of day). See example questions below:

a)Will the levels be as accurate before a brushing, as they are after a brushing? Is it better to brush first then check your levels, or check your levels then brush? (Here's my thoughts on this: If brushing 1st (which is probably the best way), but then once you add Liquid Bleach after your check, you have to brush that area again to help mix it up so isn't that extra work? is that correct?) I would check my levels after brushing as that will show you if there is any extra stuff in there. Yes it would be extra work but it would be worth it.

b)Will the levels be as accurate before vacuuming as after? Is it better to vacuum 1st then check, or check the levels then vacuum? All levels will be accurate at the time of testing. They might be lower after you vacuum but that goes along with the above with the brushing.

c) Are the levels even close to accurate if checked in a pool where the pump has Not been running for at least 30 mins-1hour before they are checked? The water HAS to have a chance to mix up. Some of the stuff might settle when the pump is not running. You can stir it up with a straw broom to help mix it so you do not lose too much time/effort.

2)When needing to add water to you pool, is it best to check the levels before the water is put in, go ahead, and adjust up to SLAM if low? Check the levels after adding the water AND running the pump for about 30 mins. That will get everything mixed up good.

Your helpful post about the knee high/panty hose/stocking could be put in the "everything else" area as a stand alone. That might help it be searched better. Good idea.

Kim

Thank you for answering all my curiosity questions kim. You are always so helpful. I will do a copy and paste on that later in the other forum, and include the picture there too. I just wasn't sure how the forum tags worked in search. If the had to have the word in the Title or would it show up just blended into the post itself. Thanks for all the info. Have A Wonderful Day :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ty Lisa.
Kim yeah, I did post it on the site you suggested, and it is showing up in search now that the word pantyhose is in the title, so maybe it will help someone out.

Also can anyone tell me how to make my pictures smaller on here, so I'm not using up so much of my allotted space on just 3 pictures? In the other post on how to post pictures to your post the site he used gave him an option for picture size, and made it smaller for him, but using the manage attachments they come through at whatever size they are on my computer, unless I missed somewhere I can resize them at. So, I don't know how to make them smaller either on here, or on my computer before I upload them.

Also my last check at dark was FC-16, and CC-1. I upped to SLAM of 22. The pool was brushedx2, and vacuumed once today.

As far as vacuuming got very little solids from the bottom, and no algae at all, but did manage to vacuum out about a dozen pebbles of pea gravel off the bottom. LOL I'm sure I have my grandson to thank for them being in the pool to start with. I'm not sure if there are more in there or not, but would those being in there cause usage of the Chlorine to be reflected in the FC or CC levels? I'm sure they were probably covered in algae, especially as long as they've been down there, and I'm wondering if the chlorine was in there trying to battle the pea gravel? LOL If so, I think the score is Pea gravel-1, Chlorine-Zip.

Hopefully my levels will hold overnight, and the pool will be clearer in the morning. I would just like to see the bottom of the pool because I know it's down there, somewhere lol. Have A Nice Night, and thank you all for everything.

8 am today FC-17 down from 22, CC-1. Water level DOWN about 4-6 " overnight, plus it rained again too, so yeah, I'm thinking there is a leak somewhere, and it's gotten worse. Perhaps the dozen or more pebbles vacuumed out yesterday were partially blocking the hole? LOL maybe I need to throw them back in the pool, and hope they settle back into the hole again to slow down the water loss.

There is NO visible water standing anywhere to indicate where the leak may be, all the hoses have been checked, and they are all fine too. So I suspect that it is possibly out there in the center of the pool somewhere, and is slowly leaking into the ground.

OR

Here is something else I'm curious that might be an issue.

Is it possible for the return jet to be positioned down too far where the bottom back portion if it is located between the pool liner and the pool causing return water to actually spray between the liner, and the frame instead of all of it returning to the pool itself? The reason I ask that is because the other day when it was repositioned from the aeration, then aimed back down, and to the right to circulate better, I noticed that if aimed all the way down a small portion of the jet is hidden between the pool and the liner, and I thought that day, I wonder if that is down too far and will be spraying water between the liner and the frame because of it? LOL I have no clue if this is even possible but I thought I'd at least ask the question.

The main thing is, I am wasting a lot of water d/t whatever it is causing the levels to go down so much, and if it's refilled in the PM by morning it's down to where it needs to be refilled again. If I fill it in the morning by afternoon more water is needed, so I'm suspecting I'm fighting a losing battle here, and am contemplating throwing in the towel, getting a new liner next Spring, and starting a new. Your thoughts on this? Thanks for your help and have a wonderful day!!

I would have to wonder about the liner having a leak. The water going between the wall and liner-------I would think you would see water on the ground outside the pool or you would feel it walking on the bottom of the pool.

When we had a pin hole leak we had water I could see coming out from under the pool over here. When we found the hole it was WAY over there so.............it made it a lot harder to find!

Kim

Whoo hoo I have found the leak or at least One big leak, but don't know what I need to do to stop it. I checked this just a couple days ago and it appeared fine but I read a post about if the pump is off and the pool is at rest to watch the water in the sight glass for any movement because if it is moving you are leaking through the waste line.

Sure enough I was able to see a slight water movement in the sight glass, went, and checked and the water was running out of the waste line at a fairly rapid rate. I turned the handle on the pump to backwash, and then back to filter again to try to get it to lock in place and stop the leak, but that didn't stop it. I turned the handle to waste and back to filter but still no luck. So until I figure out how to repair the problem, right now I've got the waste hose propped up on a high back chair keeping it higher than the pump level so it won't leak out anymore.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this problem, the high back chair for the moment is doing the trick. Thank you all, and have a wonderful day!!!

You need to replace the valve. I am guessing you have the ones like I have-white with a black or red handle to turn it open or close. It will need to be removed and a new one put on. It is an easy job if you have the tools. Do you have any saws?

Kim

LOL yes Kim, there are tons of saws here: jigsaws, circular saws, chain saws, reciprocating saws, bandsaws, and hacksaws, why, do you need to borrow one because I don't think I'll be needing one for this. I took the part in to see what it needed because the handle looked fine, the gasket looked fine, but the spring was really rusty.

They had told me prior to removing it that if it was put in the Closed position the water wouldn't come out when the top was removed, LOL WRONG, I had water going everywhere. I grabbed one of the dog's tennis balls, and put it in the skimmer hole until the hoses could be unhooked, and put inside the pool to stop the water. The dogs were looking at me like what the heck, you have our tennis ball, throw it already lol.

When the PS looked at it they said it was old and it was shot and nothing was opening or closely properly on it, so they suggested I just replace the entire part and use what might be good on it for spare parts in the future which is what I'm going to do, BUT LOL of course with the top off, the water out, etc. I also want and desperately need the sand replaced too, so it's time to kill 2 birds with one stone. That sand in there is totally gross, and I think it's going to take a hammer, and chisel lol, but not a Saw to get it all out of there, but I'm thinking the pool will clean up a lot easier once the pump is filtering properly, the sand isn't concreted in the pump, and hopefully I won't be losing water at the rate of 4-6" per day.

Well I holler back later when I get a reading, but I know the pool is going to have to have a lot more water put in it once the pump is put back together, but hopefully that will be last time that much has to be added at once. Have a nice day!

Shop AMERICAN VALVE 1-1/2-in PVC Sch 40 Socket In-Line Ball Valve at Lowes.com

These were the valves I was thinking about. I have one on each line that comes out of my pool. and one for my overflow and one for my backwash pipe.

What it sounds like you are talking about is the thing on top of filter that changes what your filter is doing.

Do you always turn your pump off before you move the lever?

Do you always turn the lever in the same direction?

Kim

Yes Kim those would be perfect. Mine has hoses from pool to pump, pump to pool, and from pump to waste, not PVC, but I need to eventually go PVC anyway cause hoses have a tendency to split and cause you to lose your water when they do. But for now that can be rigged up to where the hoses will still hook up. Plus I love those shut offs. I think I'll go to Lowe's before any of the lines are hooked back up, and get me 3 of those, and lol who knows, I might end up coming back with PVC pipe too, and a SAW will be needed after all. Thanks for the info. Currently sand removal with the shop vac, is down to cleaning under and around the laterals. The sand was so bad, and so hard that it keeps stopping the shop vac hose up, and before the shop vacuuming even started , the pump was full of water, so I opened the drain valve on the bottom to drain it, and not 1 drop of water came out. LOL so yeah, I think it was due for a sand change. Thanks again Kim. Have A Nice Day.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and to answer your questions. Yes, I always turn it off before moving the lever, but NO I didn't know the direction the lever was being turned made any difference, but if it does then I was doing that part wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

LOOK I GOT AN UPDATE!!!!! whooo hooo. LOL I'm styling and profiling on TFP now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support