New load center for filter pump replacement

lexeverything

Jan 6, 2023
SoCal
Hi all! I am replacing a now dead Pentair WFE-28 with a variable speed intelliFlo VSF. I will no longer need the timer which operated the filter pump, so I figured it would be best to upgrade electrical at equipment side using a load center that can mount on exterior wall of house. I have to incorporate the PA 220GF upstream of the new filter pump, and a new load center will give me a spot to house this GFCI breaker.
The pool is very basic. Installed in 1998. No automation or newer fancy features. One light in pool, and one in spa. Both on their own light switch. 120V halogen, as I see no transformers anywhere to indicate lower voltage lights. The new pump (and newer - to current code electrical work performed) will be the coolest up-to-date thing about this pool. Will be nice to have everything organized and labeled in the box.

I am looking at a few of the Intermatic pool/spa load centers. Something that can house most of the equipment side electrical, receptacles/light switches, disconnect switch, etc. There are load boxes that come with or without extra spaces for timers. I figured that there is no longer a use that I can think of for a timer in my situation with this pool setup (given the new intelliFlo VSF)... but, maybe I am missing something? Maybe I have not thought of some future need for a timer, where it might be useful for the load center to have the option to add a timer or two. Also, is it code compliant to have the disconnect switch (shutoff power to filter pump) in a switch spot in the load center box? Or must it be located outside of load center in its own junction box? Right now it is in a junction box that shares the two switches for pool lights and the blower switch.

Here are two pics of the box types I am considering... on with timer spaces, and a box with no timers. Just space for breakers and receptacles.
Any thoughts on whether or not a box with timers may be useful now, or down the road. Just looking to keep it somewhat simple and get the pool filter pump back on line. Appreciate any thoughts!
box1.jpgbox2.jpg
eqip.jpg

Great that you are upgrading to a VS Pump. The Pentair VSF is a solid pump. The pump has its own timer so the existing timer you have could be used to control your lights - if that is desired.
You mention that an automation system is not planned, but an automation does more than just turn lights on and off, or control the pump. The automation system could remotely control your suction and return valves to change from Spa Mode to Pool Mode. You do that manually now so that may or may not be beneficial. You would need to purchase a Valve Actuator for each of the valves. Those can be part of the automation system if you elect to go that way.
You can purchase an automation system that also provides a power center so everything is compact into one box - similar to that which is shown.

Reactions: lexeverything
Thanks, Herman. Yes, Pentair VSF will be a welcome addition after many years on the old single speed pump. This is for the pool at my Mother's house. She is not interested in any further automation. I am just trying to help get the pool filter pump replaced, while providing a simple and clearly labeled load center that will conform to current code and will also be easy for someone to navigate. I figured a simple load center without timers (if not needed) would streamline the replacement, save a little money, and I love that there are 8 breaker spaces so I can house the Pentair PA 220GF and other breakers. Also like the knockouts for single gang switches, etc. Can also install GFCI outlet in knockout off side of the the box. Seems like a good solution for a simple pool needing a little bit of electrical upgrade/cleanup.

Anyone know about if the required filter pump shot off switch can be moved into the load center in one of the switch knockouts?

Anyone know about if the required filter pump shot off switch can be moved into the load center in one of the switch knockouts?
The breaker is a switch.

SWD stands for Switching Duty.

1673564596227.png

Thank you, James. I have been looking through article 680 on mike holt com. I never considered that the breaker itself is a switch. Okay, so the pump shutoff switch I have now in a junction box at the equipment is no longer necessary with the addition of required 2-pole GFCI for filter pump in the load center box.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
This is some follow up considerations and summary
The circuit breaker box will include CB’s for the pump, the lights and the spa blower
The VS pump does not need a separate timer as you can set the schedule on the pump itself. It does not need a separate on/off switch external to the CB. Just remember anytime you clean the pump basket, you should manually turn off the pump on the display or at the CB.
A switch can be set up outside of the CB box for the light and the blower. It will make it more convenient to operate those when needed. It avoids opening the CB box everytime you wish to operate those items. It is posssible to connect the lights to a timer if that is desired. Some people like the lights on every night in the pool so that would help if that is necessary.
Ensure your electrician follows code and tests everything after the job.

Reactions: lexeverything
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.