New liner sanitizer concerns

May 23, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Hi all, soon after buying our home 8yrs ago I converted the pool to salt and could not be happier, much lower regular maintenance than the 2 months that I ran it on chlorine.
Earlier this week I had a pool installer come over to consult as per replacing the aging liner and was asked why I was still using salt, saying many clients were converting back to chlorine. Premature aging, liner fading and equipment damage were main reasons given, also shorter warranty on liner. To be honest, when I converted TO salt, I did have a few pipe joints let go and had to replace sections of pipe that I did attribute to the salt.
My searches have brought up the usual all being fine if the water kept balanced et al. but nothing as damning as what I've been told.

I wouldn't have given it a second thought since in my 8 years I haven't seen any spotting on the equipment and the fading that is there would seem justified after 16-17 yr old liner but I am due for a new salt cell so figured before investing, I'd get it straight from the pros.
To be honest, when I converted TO salt, I did have a few pipe joints let go and had to replace sections of pipe that I did attribute to the salt.

Is there a trend away from salt, and if so, justified?

From what I've seen on the forum, the main reason people move away from salt is that pool installers have a tendency to blame every problem in a salt pool on the salt. Every problem in a regular pool is probably also blamed on salt, but referred to as "TDS" to not confuse people :sneaky:

Whether ignorance or malice, the chemistry advice that comes out of a pool installer's mouth is rarely accurate. You made the right decision to question it.

Thank you for your swift replies. At first when he mentioned it I was like, yep, you're the pro, lets do it. But later that night and a few days later it hadn't left my mind and I guess I couldn't convince myself that it logically made sense. I mean, I open my pool with JAVEL.

FLYING TIVO : YES, just making extra $$.

WIREFORM: You're probably right, AS a family with young children moves in, we may have used the pool way more than the elderly people before us.

DONALDSON: Yes, confusing for sure, although he seems extremely knowledgeable this just didn't sit right.

Thanks all.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.