New liner, new water, help!

Apr 26, 2017
Valley cottage, NY
I am just learning how to maintain my SWG pool. I have read the pool school articles. We just had a new liner installed and obviously have new water. They told me they would open the pool but all they really did was turn the equipment on. I had already added the salt. So it seems I need to add CYA. I just want to be sure I don't mess this up. I have ordered the recommended testing kit but wont get it until this Wednesday. I had some test strips laying around. I know they are not very useful but it does show I dont have any free chlorine. Should I add bleach before I get my testing kit?

I'm not 100% sure but I think you only want to shoot for a CYA level of 30 until you complete the SLAM procedure.
Add enough muriatic acid to get the PH around 7.4 & then start the SLAM. Be careful with the muriatic acid, read all the cautions on the bottle.
You may already be familiar with these but just in case here's two links to help with the SLAM. Use Pool Math to determine how much acid & chlorine to add. If you're not sure about anything just ask!
https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

I am not sure what to do next. I added CYA and level was 45 ppm. I also added bleach. I had to go away for a few days. I tested today and the FC was 21 and CC was 4.2. After leaving the auto cover off all day the FC went down to 15 and CC was .6. I'm confused. I also tested NaCl and it is 4400 ppm. That is high too right?

It's also a lot more economical to perform the FC test with a 10ml sample, add 1 heaped spoonful of powder and then divide the number of total drops by 2 to give you your final reading. (i.e. each drop is 0.5).
Then for CC add the 5 drops of R-0003 and then each drop is 0.5.

It will save your testing reagents big time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for mentioning smaller sample size. I have already had to reorder reagents.... I did an overnight test and FC went from 17.5 to 15.5. water is clear. I turned off swg last night but left pump on. Should I do a SLAM? I thought you only do this with low FC.

- - - Updated - - -

CC went from 2 ppm last night to .5 this morning.

As long as you did the last test after sunset and the first before sunrise - you lost more than 1ppm FC and failed the OCLT - and yes, we suggest you SLAM. This will sanitize whatever is consuming your FC - and should have you losing 0.3 - 1.0 FC per night. Whatever is taking up your chlorine (probably algae and bacteria) need to be stopped before it gets bad. You might have a very short SLAM though, but still, better to not let these things continue to waste your $ and risk your health. Here are the links for easy reference: SLAM ProcessPoolMath

Yes no worries there. You may find that the FC will drop off quite quickly so just monitor your FC levels closely and when it comes back at the high end of your target FC switch your SWG back on and then fine tune the SWG from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.