New liner costs

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Hey guys.....after 16 years I am going to get a new liner for my pool. The old one doesn't have any leaks but the bead where it attaches to my steel steps has ripped away and I'm afraid another winter will end up tearing the liner. So this is a pre-emptive move to avoid a mid-season disaster and long lead times for liner installs in my area.

Anyways, I have a lagoon style pool with steel (vinyl covered) step and a vinyl covered bench in the deep end. about 38' long and the widest point in the shallow end is about 25" across. 24K gallons. I got a quote of $11K to install a new 27mil liner. This quote was from the folks who built my pool 16 years back and I know I can trust them as they have always been there to support me and I really haven't had any major issues. However, this seems pretty high to me. I understand it's not a basic rectangle and it's likely more expensive as a result. Does this seem out of whack for a liner replacement in the northeast?

Anyone out there have a similar experience in the New England area?

My liner is 16 years old and needs to be replaced. No leaks but it is pulling away from stairs and there are many wrinkles on the stairs. Also faded. I posted in another thread that I got an estimate of $10,500 to replace it. It's a free form Lagoon style about 40 feet long and the deep end is 18' wide with a lagoon shallow end that is 25' wide. Vinyl cover steel wedding stairs and vinyl covered bench in the deep end. 24k Gallons. I think that price is high but that's another discussion.

Now for my question......I was thinking of doing it next spring (2024) as there are no leaks and will hold water over the winter. The pool builder wanted to do it this fall as they have an opening in the schedule. Is there any advantage to doing it in the fall versus waiting till the spring? Never replaced a liner before so not sure what it entails. Appreciate any comments.

Last edited:
I would prefer the fall.
Liner will be pliable, since the weather is warm. Chemicals are dialed in for closing.

Spring:
Need to wait for warm weather, liner needs to be pliable for installation. Hard to get an appointment, since whole new pool builds are more financially beneficial to the builder.

Hey guys.....after 16 years I am going to get a new liner for my pool. The old one doesn't have any leaks but the bead where it attaches to my steel steps has ripped away and I'm afraid another winter will end up tearing the liner. So this is a pre-emptive move to avoid a mid-season disaster and long lead times for liner installs in my area.

Anyways, I have a lagoon style pool with steel (vinyl covered) step and a vinyl covered bench in the deep end. about 38' long and the widest point in the shallow end is about 25" across. 24K gallons. I got a quote of $11K to install a new 27mil liner. This quote was from the folks who built my pool 16 years back and I know I can trust them as they have always been there to support me and I really haven't had any major issues. However, this seems pretty high to me. I understand it's not a basic rectangle and it's likely more expensive as a result. Does this seem out of whack for a liner replacement in the northeast?

In NJ, 3 years ago I received quotes from 10,000$ to 3,400$ .. basic 16x32, 27 mil vinyl. paid $3400 happy with results.

Is there any advantage to doing it in the fall versus waiting till the spring?
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush ?

I wouldn't worry about the temps as you can't control that. It's more likely to be warm in July/Aug, but not always up here. Both my pools were filled on mid 60s days, the first mid-August and the second the last week of June. Other years it was 90+ at those times. :ROFLMAO: The builder will likely be swamped next year during a month that should be warmer and may or may not get around to you.

Plus, you'll likely be filling with 50 or 60 degree water so the bottom corners that are so important to be pliable, won't be as pliable the second the water hits them.

So, yes. It's best practice to schedule it for warmer weather, but you can do that and still get skunked.

Prices are ugly. I have a roughly 25x45 freeform pool with steps that are covered by liner, and had it done for around $11k this summer. 27/27 liner for what it's worth, but was about a $500-700 difference if I wanted the 20/27 instead. Availability is better than last year, but prices keep rising...

Yes ugly indeed. I guess we picked a bad time to replace a liner. Just got second and third estimates and they were all in the $10K-$11K range for what seems to be a similar pool as yours. I've decided on the estimate from my original pool builder. $10,700 for 27/27 and they can do it before closing this year. $400 less for 20/27 but the liner I picked only comes in 27/27.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The thickness is worth every penny IMO. It'll give you better odds against rips and punctures. It'll still rip and puncture, but it will take more to do so.

*especially* if it's going to cost this much to replace.

We just did a new liner for a 17x35' pool with no steps or bench and it was about $5500 plus the water. The liner is 27 mil.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.