New jet sizing?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I am replacing my pipes, which are glued into my jets. So I will need to buy a new set. I noticed many different sizes and types on Amazon and want to make sure I get the right ones. Is there a way to tell exactly what you need?

Thanks

I think you need to answer some questions. How many jets do you have? How are the valved, individually, in pairs, etc. In your current configuration, what is your clean filter pressure?

For example, in my pool I have 3 jets. Two are controlled by the same valve. The third, meant for a small water feature, is on its own valve. Doing anything with the valves, or jet sizes, changes my filter pressure and, of course, the flow through the other jets.

Thanks for responding!

I have 3 "single" jets on one valve. And one return on another (not a jet, and won't be replacing). Adjusting the valve doesn't seem to effect filter pressure, which hovers between 8-10psi. Of course if I put it 100% on jets they spray harder but again the filter doesn't change.

They hook into a PVC coupling (glued) behind the wall and there are no screws on the jets themselves. However the collar and nozzle screw onto a solid threaded plastic pipe that sits flush with the wall and doesn't move. I am guessing I have to cut the pipe off behind the wall and replace the entire assembly, but I am not sure how it attaches.

Thanks

The most common jet ball sizes are 3/4” and 1”. I would go with the size that is closest to the pipe size that is installed now. They are not expensive at all so you may want to get a set of both sizes then “play” with the to see what works out for you. You may find out that some combination of the to sizes works best for surface flow to the skimmers. BTW, you can test your surface circulation by using some packing peanuts. Just toss a couple handfuls in the pool and see how they move towards the skimmers. The nice thing about peanuts is they are easy to capture in a net and they are not dirty like leaves.

Thanks for the help!

How do the new jet assemblies seal against the wall? My pipes are 1 1/2 inches, if I go with a 1" pipe, do you need a connector that reduces so it can hook up?

OK I found this one, says it's the same size as my pipes. Is the rubber gasket the common way they hook up? Something about that seems sketchy when the are installed under concrete. Especially with the lock nut. I also notice it has a very little lip on it to glue a pipe into?

The locknut style are normally meant for above ground pools. The inground pool return fittings I have are held in place with 4 screws that compress a rubber gasket between the pool wall and the fitting flange on the “people side” of the pool. To change them, you will have to drain the pool below the jets, then expose the side of your pool at the area of each jet. Google “in-ground fiberglass pool return fittings”. There are a range of price points. You will have to choose which is best for your situation. Please be aware that most fittings are for 1 1/2” pipe. Unless you have a specific reason for wanting to go with 1” pipe, I would stay with the 1 1/2” pipe. If you have something other than that, you will have to use pipe size adaptors to increase or decrease the pipe size.

I want to use 1 1/2" pipe, I was talking about the "T" only having 1 1/2" sized holes on 2 ends, and a 1" on the bottom (if you want to call it that). Having trouble finding a T connector with 1 1/2" on all sides.

Here is the best photo I have of my return jet. I am not sure if it gets glued prior to the nut being screwed down or what.
https://i.imgur.com/ccSM4Nu.jpg

It's frustrating, it's the last thing I am not sure about.

OH... do you think there will be enough still sticking out if I cut it at the T and glue on a new one?

Home Depot sells them https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlotte-Pipe-1-1-2-in-PVC-Sch-40-S-x-S-x-S-Tee-PVC024001400HD/203812203 . Lowe’s has Shop Charlotte Pipe 1-1/2-in dia PVC Schedule 40 Vent Tee Fitting at Lowes.com . With the low pressures involved, you can use the Lowe’s “vent” tee. Any good hardware store should also have them.

I would attach the fitting to the pool first. Then make what ever measurements are needed.

How much of the existing pipe is showing between the existing tee and the fitting in the picture? You may be able to cut the pipe flush with the back of the fitting, remove the fitting, smooth off the pipe to remove any bits of pvc stuck to it ( a razor knife works well for that). Then clean the pipe with water to knock off the dirt. Install the new fitting, then prime and glue them together. You only need about 1” of the pipe for penetration for this to work.

Home Depot sells them https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlotte-Pipe-1-1-2-in-PVC-Sch-40-S-x-S-x-S-Tee-PVC024001400HD/203812203 . Lowe’s has Shop Charlotte Pipe 1-1/2-in dia PVC Schedule 40 Vent Tee Fitting at Lowes.com . With the low pressures involved, you can use the Lowe’s “vent” tee. Any good hardware store should also have them.

I would attach the fitting to the pool first. Then make what ever measurements are needed.

How much of the existing pipe is showing between the existing tee and the fitting in the picture? You may be able to cut the pipe flush with the back of the fitting, remove the fitting, smooth off the pipe to remove any bits of pvc stuck to it ( a razor knife works well for that). Then clean the pipe with water to knock off the dirt. Install the new fitting, then prime and glue them together. You only need about 1” of the pipe for penetration for this to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.