Apr 30, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I have a pool and spa that was built in 1990. It’s 22,000 gallons and was resurfaced with Pebbletec about 15 years ago by the previous owner of my house. I am looking at upgrading the electrical panel with a IntelliCenter to automate a few items. I am looking to hook up the following items:

1. Intelliflo pump
  2. Pool & spa lights
  3. Gas heater
  4. Spa Air blower
  5. SCG
  6. Low voltage landscape lights
  • How many relays do I need for the setup above? I believe 5, but please confirm. See attached diagram and let me know what mistakes I’ve made or how I can improve it. I omitted the ground wires to not complicate things.
  • Do you recommend the 5 relay or 8 relay kit?
  • Where’s the best place to buy a Intellicenter (8 relay, 2 actuators, and SCG) #521903- my cost is $3,550. Is this a good price or should I look elsewhere? Do these ever go on sale or are there rebates ever?
  • Let me know if you have any other recommendations/ideas.
Thanks for your help!

1.png

Attachments

• Intellicenter Pool Power Diagram.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
M,

Your layout works for me... There is no requirement for the heater to have the main AC power controlled by the automation, but you can if you want.

I'd go with 8 relays as you never know what you might want to do later..

Here is my go to equipment supplier..

You want a IntelliCenter that come with an internal Power Center and an IC40 or IC60.

Keep in mind that if you only use one relay for your lights, both the pool and spa lights will come on at the same time and will always be the same color.

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe, thanks for the response. If I understand you correctly I can hookup up the gas heater to the load side of relay #1 (filter pump, swc) and then free up one relay. Is that right? Any pros or cons to this? What would you suggest?

Thanks for the tip regarding the pool light. I didn't think about that.

M,

I see no reason to have a relay control the AC power to the heater at all.

Just like your VS pump gets constant AC power, your heater can also get constant AC power and just let the automation turn it on and off..

As far as lights go... you will need a relay for each light, or group of lights, you want to individually control. If you are getting 12 volt low voltage lights, you will also need an individual transformer for each light, or group of lights.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.