New install trouble.

LT80Racerdad

Jun 5, 2020
Minnesota
Setting up an 18x33 oval pool. Having a few issues with it. The wall is popping out of the bottom rail in a few spots and the to cap on the straight side uprights do not seem to sit flush on top.

Attachments

• 15920986461814808576049883393630.jpg
    15920986461814808576049883393630.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 44
Indeed, our straight side uprights and the curved end blocks were not all at the same level. We took the liner out, took the wall down and releveled all the straight side uprights as well as all of the curved end bottom plate blocks. Using a water level, we leveled them all to within 1/16-1/8 of an inch. The issue we have now is that the bottom rail is not on firm ground as we needed to raise most of the blocks to get them all at the same height. What is the best material to use to fill in the area between the bottom plates under the bottom rails? Anything that will form up and hold better? Our natural soil is mostly sandy. So it does not form up well. Would some thing like paver base work better for this? Thanks!

The issue we have now is that the bottom rail is not on firm ground as we needed to raise most of the blocks to get them all at the same height.
The high ground/areas must be dug out, unless you are building up a retaining area, the pool walls/legs must set in solid contact with the ground.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
When we did original dig, all of the blocks, legs, etc were dug down some. When we needed to re-level, we did not need to raise any one of the legs or blocks a large amount. The largest was maybe 1", the rest were less than 1". This meant that the amount we needed to build back up was "contained" within the original dig area of the blocks, with good solid ground under and around the filled dirt. We compacted the filled dirt before place the block back down. My concern was the area between each of the blocks and legs where the bottom rail runs. The ground under the rails right now varies from touching the rails to about 3/4 inch max gap. We attempted to build this up with some sand and soil, but, since this area is not "contained" it is difficult to get the filled area to stay in place. I was wondering if there was a better base material that could be used under the rail that would form a better base. In the end, Most of the bottom of the pool will get back filled. Thoughts?

You can't just shovel something under and expect it to provide support.

Pea Gravel (also called "Fines" in North Carolina) compacts perfectly and has enough dust in it to set up almost like cement when tamped and watered. It drains but does not erode. It needs to be compacted with a hand tamper or a vibratory plate compactor.

Reactions: Casey
Thanks so much for the replies. I do understand that we can't just shovel something under it. I was hoping to find a suitable material that I could create a slight mound with, at most 1 inch high, but I could feather it out 6 inches or so on each side down to nothing and compact it with a hand tamper. Something like the pea rock you mentioned or paver base or other?

A hand tamper does not have the weight of a full pool of water.

You are looking for shortcuts around building the proper base to hold 132,000 pounds of water. Over 5 tons. I can't tell you anything other then a solid base will support that load.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You really want to follow the advice about leveling. You’ll be glad you did. And yep, we’ve had people experience the issues with wind while installing their wall!

You really want to follow the advice about leveling. You’ll be glad you did. And yep, we’ve had people experience the issues with wind while installing their wall!
I’m not sure I am understanding what is the advice that I should be following? Is the consensus that we should re dig all of the blocks down further so that the rails are sitting on solid ground?

I did read in a similar post where member Casey stated they had slid pavers under the bottom rail to support the bottom rail. Is that acceptable?

I did do that and never experienced any I'll effects in doing so. You have to understand though that any paver you try to build up will sink once you start adding water to the pool. Road base, crusher, or fines can be used but with a plate compactor. To do this correctly, you'll need to remove the pool and go in 3" lifts until you're level. Its the only thing that will give you the stability you're looking for and need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.