New indoor/outdoor pool going in - questions about equipment

Here is a link for you BUT know what our PB says goes! Share this with him and see what he says as HE is the one holding the warranty card!

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Oh and with your pool being inside will change some of your levels. Make sure to note that when using Pool Math.

Kim

Many thanks Kim, that is exactly what I needed to know.

So no swimming for 3 weeks...the women will not like that very much.

Georgia
No water softener.

Ok, just go easy on raising your TA. Always raise it a little at a time, 10-20ish, and wait a few days, or more, to see how the TA and PH react. Most likely your PH will stabilize with TA somewhere between 60 and 80.

Have you seen this? It seems like you have already but just in case, it is handy.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

oh, and I might be inclined to sneak into the pool a little sooner than that. Just to keep the women happy!

Oh wait! We keep meaning to take that part out............if they do an acid wash before the water is added you can start swimming right away. We even had one PB write it into the directions "As soon as the water reaches the middle of the skimmer JUMP IN!" LOL

BUT it you are doing a different start to the plaster you will need to wait.

Did I make you smile???

Kim

Oh wait! We keep meaning to take that part out............if they do an acid wash before the water is added you can start swimming right away. We even had one PB write it into the directions "As soon as the water reaches the middle of the skimmer JUMP IN!" LOL

BUT it you are doing a different start to the plaster you will need to wait.

Did I make you smile???

Kim

Got it...we want an acid wash.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, just go easy on raising your TA. Always raise it a little at a time, 10-20ish, and wait a few days, or more, to see how the TA and PH react. Most likely your PH will stabilize with TA somewhere between 60 and 80.

Have you seen this? It seems like you have already but just in case, it is handy.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

oh, and I might be inclined to sneak into the pool a little sooner than that. Just to keep the women happy!

Yep, found it. This place rocks.

Update...and not a good one.

We went to fill the pool, there is a minor leak at the heater pipe...no problem.

But when I went to isolate the spa and fill it, I ran into several problems.

-first, the conduit that is for the LED light in the spa started spewing water, so that leaks BAD. I elevated the other end and was able to continue filling...but then...
-there are three leaks on the outside wall of the spa, one is very active, the others less so. It is obvious it has to do with the blower piping as that is the level it drained back down to.

How common is this? If at all. I am meeting the installer at lunch to discuss what is left to do on the job, and obviously the leaks. How ticked off should I be? I am surprised that 12" thick concrete walls can leak at all.

Just to make sure I am understanding. Is there any kind of pool plaster installed inside the shell yet? The way you mention 12" concrete walls not being able to leak makes it sound like this might only be the concrete shell right now. That most definitely will leak and especially at the penetrations. I found this out personally the hard way when I built my koi pond....

plat.

Just to make sure I am understanding. Is there any kind of pool plaster installed inside the shell yet? The way you mention 12" concrete walls not being able to leak makes it sound like this might only be the concrete shell right now. That most definitely will leak and especially at the penetrations. I found this out personally the hard way when I built my koi pond....

plat.

Yes, they added the pebble coat and then wanted to fill the pool and spa to their tile levels.

Penetrations in a concrete shell will always leak until they are sealed, usually with hydraulic cement and before plastering. Trouble is some builders rely on the plaster to accomplish this seal. Doesn't always work out well that way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, this is my suspicion. The pool is gunite, and the PVC was there when they shot the gunite. I didn't think a leak would be likely.

In other news the water seems to have some chlorine (FC is 10) and is running about 8.5ph. Should I do anything to the water for now? I am only worried about possible mosquito larvae and allowing any mold/algae to begin.

Last Friday they redid the pebble coat in the spa.

Saturday they did the acid wash and then I filled the spa up to the level of the spillway to the main pool.

Over 24 hours it has dropped back to the level of the jet entrances again.

After they had done the hydraulic cement and before re-doing the pebble/plaster, we filled the spa with plugs in all the hardware connections and it did not leak.

So this means there is a leak in the plumbing, right?

How impossible are these to fix?

It sounds like a leak. [emoji51] I'll let someone more experienced answer you but wanted to comment to bump your post and give it more visibility since the last one you'd posted didn't get answered. Someone always answers if they see it so don't be afraid to bump your own post after a day or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An update on condensation.

Last night I heated the pool up from 61 degrees to 85 because we are starting to install the fast-lane equipment. We instantly had condensation on the glass walls. It was in the 40's outside I think. This was expected. I rolled the cover over the pool and opened up the door to the house from the pool room and we went to the movies. When we got back the condensation had cleared up. So I think the pool cover is going to work pretty good at limiting evaporation. We actually want some evaporation as the house is normally very dry in the winter and I am hoping the pool can be my humidifier from now on. So it will be fun to find a happy median of coverage vs temp.

I am definitely going to try to add an auto cover at some point though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.