new house, green pool, too cold to swim

May 11, 2016
Troy IL
Hey all. A friend of mine bought a house with an above ground pool that has been sitting unmaintained for a while now. The pool is green and I don't really know any more, but I volunteered to come look at it, since he trusts me having kept my pool clear with TFP.

So assuming everything works with the pump and plumbing, am I right in thinking he's better off trying to get the water blue now rather than wait until later? I was thinking we'd try to get out as much gunk as possible and then test CYA, then start slamming it until it was clear again. The water is probably in the 50's. I'm hoping that'll help the cause, since I won't be losing much FC to heat or sunlight.

Sound like I'm on the right track?

Was the pool winterized? As in covered? filter put away or drained? The window for such things is closing fast. If still working and filtering it might be possible, but the fact the water is so cold algea isn’t producing so won’t get much worse till spring. I don’t think I would mess with it much with such cold water, maybe he can clean solids out,leaves,twigs. I think I would cover before the real cold and snow. Then open early in spring before water gets near 60 degrees and slam then. That’s my opinion, maybe someone has a better idea. Good luck.

Even if the pump and filter are shut down and winterized, if there is no cover, I would clean out the debris and dump CL in to SLAM Process levels and manually stir the water. It should make a spring start easier if you want to put the effort in now. Weather permitting.

I don't think the pool is winterized, and yeah we just got down into the 20's last night. So honestly fixing plumbing or anything else may be first priority...but if we've escaped any damage, in my mind, attacking the algae while it is cold and having a harder time reproducing on its own would be wiser than waiting until it is warm and fighting it on two fronts.

Anyway, thanks all. I'll report back when I get some more info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.