New Hot Tub Owner. Lot to Learn

I thought you were using the Aqua Clarity product in your hot tub. If you are, just elevate the sanitizer level to around 6-10 ppm chlorine 4 hours after you add the required Aqua Clarity. Thats all you will need. When you return, please post what you find. I leave my 720 gallon tub for a week at a time on many occasions. I just dose it up with bleach after adding the Aqua Clarity. Always perfect when I return. Of course the hot tub is covered.
I am. Today was the weekly addition for maintenance. I was simply trying out the frog @ ease system again, because it’s a constant addition of chlorine with no cya , and something like that would put my mind at ease on a long trip. But one day and I was itching like crazy last night. Won’t be using it again.

one other tip to help extend the fc you add while away is to turn the temp down. Saves a little $$ too.
My last vacation I raised to slam level just before departure & turned the tub down - it was hot out so the temp never fell real far. When I checked it upon returning 6 days later fc was still above minimum. I also use the aqua clarity.

CYA is dropping. I have thought about draining and refilling again, just to get CYA exactly where it needs to be. It’s back down to right at 50 as of now. Should be back down to 30 within another three or four weeks, as it’s dropping by around 10 every 10-12 days or so.
There aren't a lot of ways to lower cya. Splash out, partial water change, degradation from sunlight over EXTENDED periods of time, or algae will consume it...

If it's deliberate, a cya level of 50 is acceptable. IMO lower is even better. I think lots of folks here target around 30 ppm cya.

There aren't a lot of ways to lower cya. Splash out, partial water change, degradation from sunlight over EXTENDED periods of time, or algae will consume it...

If it's deliberate, a cya level of 50 is acceptable. IMO lower is even better. I think lots of folks here target around 30 ppm cya.
I will stop adding dichlor at 30ppm when I refill. Still learning, as the hot tub is only a few months old. I have a lot of splash out and fresh water refill because I have 3 kids in it most nights of the week. It's coming down...just slowly.

I will stop adding dichlor at 30ppm when I refill. Still learning, as the hot tub is only a few months old. I have a lot of splash out and fresh water refill because I have 3 kids in it most nights of the week. It's coming down...just slowly.
The heat seems to degrade my cya enough that I need to use a little dichlor every week or so. I keep my tub at 104.

I know it varies, but preparing for my trip, on average, with no usage and the cover on, with water temp set to 100°, hours much come drop can I expect over a week? If I bump it up to 12 before I leave, will that be enough to hold it at decent levels until I get home? Or higher? Or do I need to find a neighborhood friend to come by, drop in some bleach and run it for 5 minutes while I’m gone?

Leaving at nearly 20 ppm with the cover closed, won’t cause any problems with bleaching out the shell, or messing up the headrests?
Not if your cya is 50 or above.FC/CYA Levels
It won’t stay that high for long anyway. Obviously you shouldn’t keep it at slam level on a continuous basis but for vacation it should be fine. Up to Slam level for your cya is safe for swimmers & equipment.

The thing is, a hot tub is a relatively closed environment, at least compared to a pool.

If you are using Aqua Clarity then your pipes are clean
If you run your FC up to SLAM levels, you have killed anything that is float around.
Once you closed and latch your cover, there is no sunlight in your tub and there is nothing being added to your tub (such as leaves, bird poop, debris, pollen, etc)
Now of course it is not a perfect seal, and even with Aqua Clarity there may be a bit of biofilm somewhere, so you are going to want that chlorine in there, but the likelihood of coming back home to a green swamp is pretty low. You should just be able to dose with AC again, and then 30 minutes later SLAM it and be good to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine's been recently purged, I think I lose 2 ppm to my filer needing to be cleaned again and ozone generator, probably 1 ppm to each per day on 4-hour filtering total. If you have a UV system it might consume some FC too.

Having someone stop in is never a bad idea, but even better if they test first. Otherwise I think @phonedave has provided sound advice.

Reactions: phonedave
Hi Mayberry32: You don't need 20 ppm free chlorine levels but this is fine since it is at that point. Add the AquanClarity and put the cover down. Your water will be fine when you return. Just leave the hot tub as is.
You will have great water upon your return. Enjoy your time away and don't worry about the water.

So, a little feedback after my trip. Ran chlorine up to 16 right before I left a week ago last Friday. Had my neighbor check 5 days later and chlorine was down to 1.5. She added bleach to run it back up to 14-16 and I got home Sunday night. It was back down to 2 when I got home. So, no way I can leave it on its own for 10-12 day trips, which we commonly do with the boat.

If I upgrade to the integrated salt system, will that hold the chlorine stable all while we are gone, and prevent me from having to add bleach every time I use the tub?

It’s not overly difficult while we are here, but I would much prefer something that doesn’t require daily dosing.

Last edited:
So, a little feedback after my trip. Ran chlorine up to 16 right before I left a week ago last Friday. Had my neighbor check 5 days later and chlorine was down to 1.5. She added bleach to run it back up to 14-16 and I got home Sunday night. It was back down to 2 when I got home. So, no way I can leave it on its own for 10-12 day trips, which we commonly do with the boat.

If I upgrade to the integrated salt system, will that hold the chlorine stable all while we are gone, and prevent me from having to add bleach every time I use the tub?

It’s not overly difficult while we are here, but I would much prefer something that doesn’t require daily dosing.
That is precisely the reason to get a swg- integrated or otherwise. It will do the standby fc dosing for you (if set correctly) & then you will just be on the hook for the bather load usage portion of fc.

With sanitizer decay rates that high having no activity, covered, and water temperature turned down, you need to thoroughly purge the hot tub.
Water temp was not turned down. I left it at 99 the entire week. I ran chlorine back up to 10 when I got home to make sure there was nothing growing in there. Water was, and is, perfectly clear. I just purged maybe 4 weeks ago.

It's possible another purge is in order, remember you must keep fc above the minimum level associated with how much CYA is present. I think you said 50 ppm, and upon purge you were going to target 30? At those levels minimum FC required is definitely more than 1.5. That is one possible explanation why it would chew through another 14-16. The other is time/ozone. I'd suggest checking CC and re-evaluating CHL demand again before declaring it safe.

I agree with you that the SWG idea is a reasonable solution when you are unable to daily dose. A few folks here Frankensteined dosing pumps for the same purpose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.