New Hot Tub Owner. Lot to Learn

Thanks. Again....much more difficult than the pool chemistry maintenance. This morning, I added some alkalinity Up and some pH Down. As the pH came back up, I added a few oz's of hydrogen peroxide tonight, as I read it will lower chlorine and also lower pH. So, I used half the amount "suggested" to see what happens in the morning. Trying to figure this out. I'll get there, and it may be liquid chlorine, or it may be a saltwater system. I love the simplicity of saltwater, but I've read horror stories in hot tubs and the salt cell replacement costs are ridiculous. But, I can't keep on with 6-7 chlorine levels, either. The Frog system has to go, I think. I also cut it OFF this morning and we'll see where chlorine is tomorrow after 2 30 minute soaks tonight.

It is really not more difficult. It is more "touchy" however.

What I mean by that is the concepts and chemistry are exactly the same, however things move a lot more quickly in a hot tub because it is a much smaller body of water.

This is my process for my hot tub, starting just before a water change.

Purge with Ahh Some
Drain the tub and clean everything.
Refill
Start out using DiChlor (Chlorine granules) as needed until my CYA gets to 30-40 ppm then switch to bleach
Run my CH up to about 300 using Calcium Hardness Increaser - I do this to prevent foaming
For a week or two I test pH and TA and play around using acid and baking soda until they are where they need to be and stabilize
I then move to the following schedule
I add measure FC/CC and pH and add bleach and acid every 2 or 3 days and bring the tub up to the upper FC levels for the CYA and to correct pH if necessary
If I am going in the tub, and have not measured FC that day, I measure and add bleach if necessary
After using the tub I add 2oz of bleach
Once a week I add a scant oz of Aqua Clarity

So I use bleach and acid on a regular basis
Baking soda for a week or so after start up
CH increaser once after start up
Aqua Clarity once a week

I would love to add a SWCG to my tub. I just have to work out how to get power to it (safely and in code)

So, I think I’m starting to agree with you. The Frog @ease system seemed like a great idea. In reality, it’s a turd. I took it out last night. I’m trying to balance the water manually now. Chlorine is at a 6 right now. Alkalinity at 120. Calcium hardness at 100. pH is 7.2 after I lowered it tonight.

Hi all, I’m going to jump in on this thread as a I have an Artesian South Sea Spa. Yesterday I drained all the water. Some still remains on the bottom but I’ll vacuum that at a later time.
I have some water level ring spots around the entire spa and the cover and filter needs some care.

I use the frog system Serene(Bromine and Minerial Cartridges). I got them for a really good price to last me over 2 years and it seems to work perfectly fine for us. I do add some HTH Spa Chlorinating sanitizer after every use to help clean off anything else.

Yesterday I ordered these two products for the spa.
HTH Spa Care Filter Cleaner for Spas & Hot Tubs, 16oz (Pool Chemicals)
Robot or human?
And
Quick N Brite Heavy-Duty Hot Tub Cleaner with Sponge and Cloth, 16 Ounces https://a.co/d/1MwqA72

I am planning on using the hot tub cleaner to wipe the acrylic surface and do a deep surface cleaning while rinsing the filter in the HTH solution.

Are those okay products? We barely use the spa at all, perhaps 2 people soaking once a month if that.

Hello Whiter0se: It would also be beneficial to run a plumbing cleaning purge product that will assist in removing any slime-forming microorganisms that are surely clinging inside the hot tub plumbing. What is inside of the pipes that you cannot see is as or more important than what you can see on the shell. Give your hot tub a chemical colonoscopy. An effective purge product will eliminate biofilms, fungus and other assorted gunk.

Hello Whiter0se: It would also be beneficial to run a plumbing cleaning purge product that will assist in removing any slime-forming microorganisms that are surely clinging inside the hot tub plumbing. What is inside of the pipes that you cannot see is as or more important than what you can see on the shell. Give your hot tub a chemical colonoscopy. An effective purge product will eliminate biofilms, fungus and other assorted gunk.
Forgive me for asking am already answered question, but wouldn’t I have to do this before I drained? I may purchase and do the purge the next time I drain (within 4 months).

So, today, I jumped the gun and decided to just purge and start over. S soon asI got home from church, I ran a 30 minute cycle of Ahhsome. Tons of brown sludge all around the water line. I cut it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then ran another 10-15 minute cycle before draining. Got a little more with the 2nd cycle, but not much at all. After draining, I refilled and started adding chemicals (as soon as water temp was over 90°). I waited 20 minutes or so between each adjustment and then moved on : alkalinity, then pH, then calcium and then chlorine. I have beautiful, clear water now. My pH Kris running high, but I’ve added flight the pH down recommended, so I think I just need to let it settle in and adjust tomorrow, if necessary. Maybe the jets running have spiked the pH temporarily. I’ll check that again tomorrow. Reading right at 8.0 in my TFT test kit right now. Everything else is perfect.

How long after adding chemicals should we wait before going in? Most things I’ve searched online say 30 minutes to an hour. Is that okay? We really want to get in tonight, now that the water is so perfectly clear.

So, today, I jumped the gun and decided to just purge and start over. S soon asI got home from church, I ran a 30 minute cycle of Ahhsome. Tons of brown sludge all around the water line. I cut it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then ran another 10-15 minute cycle before draining. Got a little more with the 2nd cycle, but not much at all. After draining, I refilled and started adding chemicals (as soon as water temp was over 90°). I waited 20 minutes or so between each adjustment and then moved on : alkalinity, then pH, then calcium and then chlorine. I have beautiful, clear water now. My pH Kris running high, but I’ve added flight the pH down recommended, so I think I just need to let it settle in and adjust tomorrow, if necessary. Maybe the jets running have spiked the pH temporarily. I’ll check that again tomorrow. Reading right at 8.0 in my TFT test kit right now. Everything else is perfect.

How long after adding chemicals should we wait before going in? Most things I’ve searched online say 30 minutes to an hour. Is that okay? We really want to get in tonight, now that the water is so perfectly clear.
I wait about 5-10 minutes- in a hot tub with the jet’s going things are mixed pretty quickly.
Get the ph in the 7’s , fc above minimum for your cya FC/CYA Levels & go for it.
Did you use dichlor or the frog still? Even with no cya you don’t want fc falling below 2ppm lest nasties will grow .

I wait about 5-10 minutes- in a hot tub with the jet’s going things are mixed pretty quickly.
Get the ph in the 7’s , fc above minimum for your cya FC/CYA Levels & go for it.
Did you use dichlor or the frog still? Even with no cya you don’t want fc falling below 2ppm lest nasties will grow .
I did not use the Frog system. Chlorine granules to raise chlorine. pH Down to lower pH. Alkalinity Up to raise Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness Booster to raise Calcium.

Right now, chlorine is sitting at 5.5, Alkalinity is 120, Calcium is 200 and pH is still reading right at 8.0 on my dropper test. But I don’t trust that because I’ve added a lot of pH Down. I would be surprised if I don’t need to raise the pH in the morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also have no CYA in my water. I thought that the chlorinating granules added a little bit of CYA, but it is still reading zero. My test tube goes up to 20 and, above that, where it is filled to the top, the black dot at the bottom is still as clear as can be. I guess I need to add a little bit of stabilizer tomorrow, but I’m afraid of overshooting the CYA in the hot tub. Still trying to figure out exactly how to do that.

Trust poolmath- be sure to account for the acidity of the dichlor as well with each dose. I bet adding a little dichlor after your inaugural soak will be enough to get the ph back in range.
Remember, now you won’t have anything adding extra stuff to your water, much simpler.

Use Poolmath effects Of adding to determine how much cya each dose adds & keep track of it. You can’t measure with the cya test yet so don’t waste your reagent.

Do you mind sending me a link to the product you’re referring to? I did a quick search on Amazon and returned a bunch. I can buy from Amazon or Walmart or directly from you (the retailer) if possible.
Buy some Ahhsome, and use it as soon as you get it. I flushed so much biofilm and gunk out of my brand new 1 week old hot tub today, I'd never get in a tub again unless it had been purged with a product like this. So much stuff came out of the jets and stuck to the walls. Tonight, water was crystal clear and perfect. I'm ordering more Ahhsome and some of the Aqua Clarity for regular use after today. Great product.

Buy some Ahhsome, and use it as soon as you get it. I flushed so much biofilm and gunk out of my brand new 1 week old hot tub today, I'd never get in a tub again unless it had been purged with a product like this. So much stuff came out of the jets and stuck to the walls. Tonight, water was crystal clear and perfect. I'm ordering more Ahhsome and some of the Aqua Clarity for regular use after today. Great product.
Thanks for this. I wish I would’ve read this before I drained the water but I’m buying one for the next drain.

I have a TuffSpa TT250 - we've had it for 5 years. I switched from bromine to chlorine about 2 years ago, and then added a salt system last year (Saltron Mini). Since adding the salt system, it has been extremely easy to maintain. It has an ozonator, and in conjunction with the salt system, I only have to add minor amounts of chemicals every couple of weeks. It's been extremely stable!

When I was using bromine and chlorine tablets, I had to empty the hot tub about once every 3 months and refill. It seemed like the water just got tired, would get cloudy and get a funky smell. Since switching to the Saltron Mini, I haven't emptied and refilled in nearly a year, and the water is still crystal clear, and easy to maintain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.