New home with pool, should I switch to SWG?

ik91

May 10, 2023
Cary, NC
Hello,

I recently moved into a home which came with a 32x16 plaster pool and if I calculated it correctly it has approximatelly 18240 gallons. It has been covered with a safety pool cover since it was closed last summer by previous owners. I did partially take cover off today and it is green but not dark green and can see to bottom of pool.

I wanted to know if I should convert to SWG as I have heard it it is easier to maintain and if I should convert should I wait to open the pool and get a SWG installed now or should I go ahead and open the pool now and SLAM it? I have attached images of the setup as well. I have ordered the pro kit from tftestkits and awaiting for it to arrive.

Stats:
Pool Filter: Titon II TR-100HD
Pump: Jandy Pro series Flopro 1.5 HP
Hayward CL220 chlorine feeder
Polaris PB4-60
Polaris pool robot

Unknown Intex timer in my garage but I don't know if that control the pool or not.

Attachments

• IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 20
I'd get started cleaning the pool and balancing the levels once your test kit arrives. Until then (if it's longer than a few days), you might consider adding 5ppm of liquid chlorine to prevent algae from getting worse.

Once kit arrives, I'd pull the cover, get pump running and water mixed well. Then take a sample, clear out any leaves or large debris, and commence SLAM.

I think a SWCG is a no-brainer, especially given the cost of chlorine today.

Reactions: ik91
You can start researching SWG options while your test kits are on their way. Doesn't look like you have automation, so you have plenty of options to choose from. If automation is in your future plans, then just make sure you consider that when you are choosing.

Here's a good resource to read up on and a comparison chart:

TFP recommends a SWG that is rated for at least 2x your pool size, so in your case you'd want something in the 40k range. There's certainly no harm in going bigger as that can help with lifespan of the cell as well.

Another thing to consider based on your photos is the SWG cell placement. It appears your returns are sitting directly on the ground, so want to elevate it for easier access (possibly with two 45 degree fittings or something).

Do you guys think that intex timer is for the pool even if it is located in the garage which would be far from pool equipment? Also, I saw some local pressure washing companies sell liquid sodium hypochlorite and wanted to know if that is safe for pool chlorination?

liquid sodium hypochlorite
That is the major ingredient in chlorine. If you look at any pool chlorine bottle or even regular laundry bleach, it's the same thing. The only difference might be the percentage strength.

As for the SWG timer, if I understand your question, I think it should be near the equipment pad. Typically that's where you need to see everything together in case there's an issue. But we can give others time to respond.

That is the major ingredient in chlorine. If you look at any pool chlorine bottle or even regular laundry bleach, it's the same thing. The only difference might be the percentage strength.

As for the SWG timer, if I understand your question, I think it should be near the equipment pad. Typically that's where you need to see everything together in case there's an issue. But we can give others time to respond.
I don’t currently have a SWG. I have a intex timer in my car garage which I don’t know what the purpose is for but I have seen people have similar timers for their pools. I was just wondering if that time me controls my pool filter at all but in my opinion that would be a odd location given my pool equipment is not close to the garage.

I don’t currently have a SWG. I have a intex timer in my car garage which I don’t know what the purpose is for but I have seen people have similar timers for their pools. I was just wondering if that time me controls my pool filter at all but in my opinion that would be an odd location given my pool equipment is not close to the garage.
Flip that switch to the left to turn on and see what it does maybe it’s outdoor lighting it turns on arround 8 and shuts off at 1am if timer set correctly

I have a intex timer in my car garage which I don’t know what the purpose is for but I have seen people have similar timers for their pools. I was just wondering if that time me controls my pool filter at all but in my opinion that would be a odd location given my pool equipment is not close to the garage.
Silly question, but just to make sure .......... are you positive that's an Intex timer and not an "Intermatic" timer?

Silly question, but just to make sure .......... are you positive that's an Intex timer and not an "Intermatic" timer?
Sorry you are correct and it is a Intermatic timer. I do have landscape lighting in the home but they are on their own timers outside so I am unsure what it could be for. Guess I have to wait to open pool which will be this or next weekend to tell if it is for the pool or for something else.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am opening my pool today and wanted to know if my valves are supposed to be this way for opening or should I turn them?

have taken out plugs in pool, gizmos, and installed drain plug in filters. When starting I was going to filter to waste first as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 8
How do you tell if the two are open or closed? This is how I found them and has been like this since pool was closed last year by old owners. Also, is single one by wall supposed to be closed normally if not filtering to waste?

How do you tell if the two are open or closed?
All three are now closed.
This is how I found them and has been like this since pool was closed last year by old owners. Also, is single one by wall supposed to be closed normally if not filtering to waste?
Yes.

I opened pool and have following results from my Taylor pro kit.

Ph: 7.8-8.2
CYA: <30
CH: 425
TA: 90

I want to SLAM the pool and have liquid pool chlorine ready. Should I lower Ph and raise CYA first?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.