New home owner with pool

Here's what it looks like at the end of day one:
[attachment=0:4mmqw1x7]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365469323.994721.jpg[/attachment:4mmqw1x7]
I've gone through a little over 4 jugs of the 8.25% bleach so far. I'm starting to see that there is a LOT of stuff still on the bottom. I'll start on that tomorrow.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365469323.994721.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365469323.994721.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 89
This morning the FC was down to 6 (from 12). Dosed it and ran to the store. Came back a couple hours later and it was still at 12. I can now see my leaf net all the way to the bottom. Hauled another wheel barrow load of leaves and junk out, so now its murky again.

It's been a couple since I updated...I've been at work and haven't much free time. FC has been fluctuating, usually by only 4 or 5 points. I was only able to check it twice a day the last two days because of work. It has been clearing up just enough that I can see piles of leaves on the bottom. So I scoop until I can't see anymore and do it again the next day. Filter has been needing to be back washed once a day.
This was the pool this afternoon before I started cleaning:
[attachment=0:v9jybw3p]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365793104.717867.jpg[/attachment:v9jybw3p]
I've got a couple main areas that still need major cleaning but I'm definitely making progress. Started brushing the sides too. Is there a specific brush that's better at getting the stuff off the walls, or will the chlorine loosen it up as it goes?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365793104.717867.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365793104.717867.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 65
Oh also, the skimmer was missing the weir. Based on recommendations I had read on here, I tracked down the part number and ordered a replacement. The recommendations were correct, there is a noticeable difference in the surface skimming with the weir installed.

It amuses me to think there are little Weir Trolls that run around stealing them ... I mean I have never seen one break, so where do the original ones go?

They do make a huge difference :goodjob:

Its been awhile since my last update, but its really just been more of the same every day. Test the water, add bleach, scoop, brush, backwash, etc. After I guess a solid month, I think I'm almost finished. Pool is pretty clear today after having been undisturbed for 3 days. I have a lot of dirt to finish vacuuming out, but otherwise it looks really good. I plan to do my vacuuming in the morning, and then the OCLT tomorrow night. Just for a refresher...if/when I pass the OCLT, do I just let the FC drop down to what it would normally be and adjust other levels as needed? CYA was 30 when I started shocking, recommended levels are 30-50...would it be wise to increase it just a bit higher? Where in the 3-7 FC range should I aim for?

Thanks everyone for all the help, I would have been lost or completely broke without the help of this site. Also, I will get a current pic tomorrow.

If you pass the 3 criteria, you can let the FC start to come down. IF you have a lot of sun then raising the CYA some could help.

You just never want to let the FC drop below the minimum by the next time you test and add more bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for no update this weekend, I ended up spending Mother's Day in bed sick. Took these pics yesterday evening.
erepypav.jpg

jusyru6e.jpg

Tested FC last night and this morning, lost .5 overnight. Didn't check anything else as I was rushed for work, but ill do it again tonight. You can probably see I still have some vacuuming to do, but my backwash hose has a hole in it. I need to repair it so I can finish the vacuuming. I think we're almost there...BIG difference since I started. Only took about 40 jugs of bleach.

This may sound silly, but is there a method to figuring out where to put the steps in a pool? Other than what's convenient? We have the wedding cake steps, and I where I would like to put them is directly across from the skimmer and return...is that going to create a water flow problem?

So I let the FC come down to 3.5 yesterday and checked CYA. I didn't get a reading. I added a partial dose of liquid CYA last night and just tested again this afternoon, and now it's shows about 20. I was getting a CYA reading of 30 before I started shocking a month ago. Is this possible, or what could be happening? I don't want to add anything else at this point until I know more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.