New home owner with pool with issues

philokyon

May 28, 2023
Grand Rapids Michigan
Bought a home last year with an inground pool. Its rectanguler, internal dimensions of 18' by 36'. Problem is, the previous owner did very little in the way of physical maintenance. He kept the chemicals balanced, but thats about it.

Looks like tiles would fall off and he would just paint over the mortar or thinset. I'm trying to retile the coping and waterline now because i could pull the tile off with my fingers. The tile was so loose it was like the previous owner was dey testing them to fit and just left then there.

One of the things I'm trying to figure out is that behind the tile was almost a 5in tall, 1 in thick piece of concrete that would stretch all around the pool. In areas this too had fallen off and he just painted over it. I'm not sure what it is and how I can repair/replace it. Any thoughts? Trying to attach some photos. The photos show the general disrepair but a couple show how that concrete bar (for lack of a better term) just ends where it broke off. One is from a top down to show the clear separation of that concrete bar from the rest of it.

20230527_180325.jpgIMG_20230528_162331_01.jpg20230421_125633.jpg20230421_125255.jpg20230421_125244.jpgIMG_20230528_162331_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like tiles would fall off and he would just paint over the mortar or thinset
Or added some thinset / mortar / concrete to make up for the missing tile thickness and then painted that.

There's no telling what's behind the rest of it. He probably tried a couple methods along the way.

Does your hole in the ground hold water?

What is your objective with your pool?

If you want to rehab it and get it looking like a modern pool then demo it and build a new pool in the hole.

If it holds water and you want a place to swim then go swimming in what you have.

I don’t think there is anything in between.

Thank you guys for the replies.

Yeah he was a definite DIYer. The rest of the house shows those signs. But not like, a DIYer who did a lot of research and gathered the right tools before hand. More of a "this sounds right" approach.

We won't be remodeling that pool any time soon. The main shell of the pool is in good condition. No cracks I can find. Just the waterline and cooing area. I'm grinding down the old mortar and then the paint he put over the waterline and going to put some new tiles on top. I will probably do what he did and apply mortar to even it out so I can retile the waterline. Any suggestions on mortar for that? Going to use laticrete for thinset.

I think this pool is from the 70's. Attaching some photos of the paperwork provided to the previous home owner from the home owner before him. Looks old and blackened edges.

Attachments

• 20230529_103416.jpg
    20230529_103416.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230529_103419.jpg
    20230529_103419.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230529_103413.jpg
    20230529_103413.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 30
Type S mortar is typically used on pools.

Those are classic pool documents from the days when pools did not cost six figures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I've been working away. Once it's done I'll post some pictures. Not the prettiest and the pool waterline tiles aren't perfectly straight because of what I am working with, but looking considerably better.

Any suggestions on chlorinated rubberized pool paint? Thats what they used. Trying for a darker blue to blend with the tile and hide some bumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.