New Home Owner - Green Pool

It's really remarkable what "just bleach and stop pouring junk in" does to clear up the pool. I did my SLAM before I had a test kit, and by the time the test kit arrived I had a reasonable pool. Then a few more days and perfect...

Now keeping it there is the challenge. :)

In defense of the pool store, people show up Friday morning and have a BBQ on Saturday or Sunday and need the pool clear "right now." Usually there methods will work, just expensive. OTOH, the TFP SLAM method gives such nice water, but it takes time.

My rudimentary understanding is that the chlorine stops the algae from multiplying, and you have to wait for it to die it's natural death. The napalm approach speeds it along, but it's costly. If your spouse tells you Monday we're having people over it's a VERY different process than if you find out Friday morning. :)

In defense of the pool store, people show up Friday morning and have a BBQ on Saturday or Sunday and need the pool clear "right now." Usually there methods will work, just expensive. OTOH, the TFP SLAM method gives such nice water, but it takes time.

Alex I have to tell you that more times than not we have seen what the pool store can do to a pool and it is NOT pretty! Most of their "shock and awe" methods cost a LOT of money and do NOT work :(

Yeah TFP's methods do tend to take time but it pays off in the end----happy wallet and clear pool!

Kim

Alex I have to tell you that more times than not we have seen what the pool store can do to a pool and it is NOT pretty! Most of their "shock and awe" methods cost a LOT of money and do NOT work :(

Yeah TFP's methods do tend to take time but it pays off in the end----happy wallet and clear pool!

Kim

Oh no question TFP's methods are cheaper and more effective, but do require ongoing work. For my friends with pools that will barely change a lightbulb at home, TFP is way outside their commitment levels... Going to the pool store and pouring the stuff in is outside their commitment.

I just think that we often attribute a lot of malice to a person in an entry level job using a test kit in fluorescent lighting. I have never gotten the impression that the people at the pool store were out to get me, just that they wanted me to quickly clear up my pool and get in the water.

My "pool store test/chemical" pool was NEVER as clear my my TFP is, but if I just kept floating pucks and showed up on Wednesday before we had company that weekend, the pool was definitely swimmable by Saturday at lunchtime.

I'm a convert and haven't done a pool store test since I found TFP. I just think that given the homeowner is unlikely to spend more than 15 minutes on their pool, the pool store advice is "decent," as in you'll go swimming and not die.

I mean, if you have high blood pressure, the real solution is to figure out what you are eating or what in your lifestyle is causing it, and fix that.

The blood pressure "meds" work, at least for a while.

You can tell which approach TFP is in this analogy, and which one the pool store is... :)

With how good my pool is looking right now I see two scenarios for once my test kit arrives.

Scenario 1: I do not pass all 3 criteria to end SLAM.
Path forward: Proceed with SLAM.

Scenario 2: I pass all 3 criteria to end SLAM.
Path forward: Should I keep FC at SLAM level for another day or two and repeat the OCLT to ensure all the algae is really gone or would I be done at that point?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been a member of this site for a few years now and I think this is the first Green to Clean transformation i've seen without a test kit. Great Job.

Now just maintain your FC level according to your CYA level and you should be golden. Remember when you get your test kit, if your FC is still at SLAM levels, your pH will be off. Once you're done with the SLAM, let FC fall on its own down to whatever level you need, then retest pH.

The OCLT test really shouldn't be run until there are no signs of live or dead Algae, and the water is clear. There should be no reason to run TWO tests following a SLAM.

If you pass one night, and fail the test the next night, what result do you go with? If you aren't certain you passed the first time, then you failed. Once you pass, you pass.

Hijacking here a little but I think it's important to say again what Patrick said above....

If you (OP) should do another OCLT, then why not a third or a fourth?

The OCLT is wrapped around a principle that we teach......precision. If you (OP) pass the OCLT, your measurements should be precise and there should be little doubt in your mind that you pass and, subsequently, there is no reason to do it again.

If you are not really sure that you passed or feel you came pretty close, then you failed. The next step is to do the OCLT not because you are not sure, but because you failed.

Done correctly, there is no reason to repeat the OCLT

Hijacking here a little but I think it's important to say again what Patrick said above....

If you (OP) should do another OCLT, then why not a third or a fourth?

Done correctly, there is no reason to repeat the OCLT

Thank you for the clarification. I don't feel like you are hijacking at all since you are answering a question I asked in this thread.

The reason I was wondering about repeating the OCLT is because I have done this process to this point without a test kit. Technically one of the pre-requisites for the SLAM procedure is having a test kit, so that means that while I am doing my best to follow the procedure with brushing every day, keeping chlorine levels elevated etc. I am not actually SLAMing my pool right now.

Regardless, it sounds like when my kit arrives (should be today) I should
1. Test FC, CC, and CYA
2. If FC is below 10, also test pH
3. Ensure FC is at SLAM level based on my CYA
4. Retest after dark to begin OCLT

I will probably also test any other values available for the kit I ordered (Taylor k2006) like alkalinity, salt, etc. These other values are important for overall water chemistry balance, but from what I have read, do not seem to be critical to the SLAM process.

Does this seam like a solid plan for when my test kit arrives, which will hopefully be tonight?

Last edited:
Does this seam like a solid plan for when my test kit arrives,
virtually perfect. Good luck! I wouldn't add any more chlorine just to get to SLAM value.....a late addition of chlorine could skew the OCLT if it's not evenly distributed throughout the pool. I would simply do the OCLT at whatever FC value you currently have (Unless it is REALLY low like 3 ppm or less.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.