RyanandAngie

Jun 21, 2023
Tripoli Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there! My name is Angie and I live in Iowa. This is my second year with a soft sided pool. We have a summer waves 20x48 with cartridge filter. We took it down end of swim season last year and put it up about a week and a half ago when we got back from vacation. We struggle with our alkalinity here and have to use a ton of muriatic acid to get it where it’s even manageable. Of course then our Ph drops and we aerate to raise that back up. It’s a hot mess. I had been using pool doctor app to put in all my test numbers to see what I need to add to pool (I use Taylor test kit) but after yesterday I will no longer be using that app. I have been noticing over the last few days that I can not keep my chlorine levels up. I even added another puck to my floater to see if I could get them up. Nope! So I checked my CYA levels and man they were high!!! I had just filled my pool not even two weeks ago and did as the app told me to as far as how much stabilizer to add to get started since I started with 0. I took water sample into pool store to get it tested to be sure. Yep my cya was at 74!! I had only used not even one full puck yet in my floater! Never again will I listen to that app. I had to drain 12 inches of water out last night. I am on a mission to refill it today and hopefully my cya levels will be more manageable. I believe we will be using sodium hypochlorite the rest of this swim season!!!!

Use
PoolMath 😁
Is your water clear? Visible algae?
No algae that I am aware of. I will super chlorinate it. But I think I am gonna struggle getting my alkalinity back in check now that I am adding a bunch more water. Our alkalinity is outrageous! It was well over 300 when I opened pool. I got it down to 120 but that is still so high. I needed to bring it back down alittle more so I have muriatic acid here ready to go when I got pool refilled. We took12 inches out.

No algae that I am aware of. I will super chlorinate it. But I think I am gonna struggle getting my alkalinity back in check now that I am adding a bunch more water. Our alkalinity is outrageous! It was well over 300 when I opened pool. I got it down to 120 but that is still so high. I needed to bring it back down alittle more so I have muriatic acid here ready to go when I got pool refilled. We took12 inches out.
Just keep ph in the 7’s (the 7’s is safe) - the ta will lower each time you this.
Raise fc asap to target range for your cya
FC/CYA Levels with liquid chlorine
& then do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to help confirm or deny algae consuming your fc.
It may be too late for the oclt this evening but you can do it tomorrow night.

Just keep ph in the 7’s (the 7’s is safe) - the ta will lower each time you this.
Raise fc asap to target range for your cya
FC/CYA Levels with liquid chlorine
& then do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to help confirm or deny algae consuming your fc.
It may be too late for the oclt this evening but you can do it tomorrow night.
We put chlorine last night. We put enough in to raise it to level needed for our CYA. I think 6 is what we needed it at. This morning it was at 5 when I checked it. What does this mean? Do I have algae growing? My pool looks and feels good. Should I shock it? I am so confused as to how to use the liquid chlorine. Do I need to keep it at 6 at all times? And does this mean I need to add chlorine every day? My pool is in full sun most of the day. Thanks for any advice you can give. I always just threw a puck in the floater and called it good. Now I am so lost.

We put chlorine last night. We put enough in to raise it to level needed for our CYA. I think 6 is what we needed it at. This morning it was at 5 when I checked it. What does this mean? Do I have algae growing? My pool looks and feels good. Should I shock it? I am so confused as to how to use the liquid chlorine. Do I need to keep it at 6 at all times? And does this mean I need to add chlorine every day? My pool is in full sun most of the day. Thanks for any advice you can give. I always just threw a puck in the floater and called it good. Now I am so lost.
Was it dark when you performed both of your tests? Did you confirm your last addition of the night by testing at least 30 minutes after?
If not do that tonight/in the am to confirm you’re algae free or if you need to do the
SLAM Process.
Be sure to follow the instructions exactly Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

To answer your other question,
Your pool needs to eat every day, it is like a pet, you have to feed it everyday whether you play with it or not. The pucks were previously feeding it slowly as they dissolved (although obviously not quickly enough to maintain adequate fc levels).
If you won’t be able to feed it tomorrow you must give it enough liquid chlorine today to make it through until the next time you do to prevent ever falling below minimum for your cya lest algae will grow & things won’t be sanitary.
FC/CYA Levels
You didn’t list your current cya level. Remember to round up if between two lines on the cya test as you cannot extrapolate between the lines.
Example: if the dot dissapears between 50 & 60 you call it 60 & chlorinate accordingly.
To give you a better understanding,
The average algae free pool uses anywhere between 2-5 ppm worth of fc each day give or take depending upon the season, uv, bather loads, & environmental conditions.
Most prefer to dose to high target 🎯 to ensure they never play kissy face 😘 with minimum.
It safe for people, surfaces, & equipment with fc anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya.

As for the LC how to:
pour liquid chlorine in slowly (pencil sized stream) infront of a running return away from the pool wall. Brush the area well to ensure none pools on the floor etc. as it is heavier than water.

Pucks aren’t evil but their blind use can cause issues so they aren’t recommended for daily chlorination. Save them for vacation or when you need a little bump in cya.
It is important to know how each thing you put in the pool will affect all parameters.
PoolMath effects of adding is fantastic for this.
Here’s what each dissolved 3” puck does to your pool 👇
IMG_6599.png
If daily/ every other day dosing becomes tiresome you should consider a salt water chlorine generator to feed your pool for you whether you’re there or not.
I hope this helps 😊