New heater for 15,000 gal pool

Sep 30, 2012
Cypress, TX
I need to replace my pool heater. I currently have a Pentair MasterTemp 400K btu. We seldom use the heater but would be nice to have one available when needed. What would be the most cost effective heater to replace my MasterTemp 400K? I don't think we really need a 400K. I assume we could replace with a smaller unit. Is this correct?
Frank Crumpler

I have the Mastertemp 250 for my 15K gallon pool and it works fine for my minimal usage needs. I use it to extend the season a bit and to get the water a little warmer when needed.

Reactions: jfcrump
Your 400K BTU unit would heat the pool 2degF per hour. If you drop down to a 250K BTU heater, that will drop roughly in half.

Depends on how quickly you like to heat the pool.

My pool is approx 15.000 gallons. As expensive as heaters are and the little amount of time we use a heated pool or spa, I'm trying to save a little $$ by maybe reducing the BTU output. Thanks for your help
It takes the same amount of gas to heat the water, regardless the size of the heater. The smaller unit uses less gas per hour but takes longer to get to temperature. Everyone that ever bought a smaller heater from me to do what you think you're going to do, save money in heating the water, was very disappointed. It was early in my career and I still thought "the customer is always right."
After 3 times, I refused to sell one like that, business decision. Happy customers are more profitable than upset ones. My business is really just to keep the customer happy and if I can't do that I don't want that customer.

Reactions: Newdude
Getting a smaller heater will certainly be a lower upfront cost but, as others have said, the performance in terms of the amount of time it takes to heat the water will be worse. That may or may not be important to you but it’s important to know that before making a decision. The thing to understand about heating water is that it takes a fixed amount of energy (volume of gas combusted) to heat a specific amount of water to any given temperature. The size of the heater only affects how long it takes to get there and does not change the amount of gas you will use.

Reactions: kul
Sounds like you might want to go with the bigger one! I went with the 250 because that’s what was previously installed and I’m good with how it heats up.