New Hayward Sand Filter

Chat

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 3, 2013
So I'm looking for a new sand filter for my AG pool after the last one cracked. My local pool store quoted me $700+ for a S180TPAKS. I noticed on Amazon there's a S180T for $380. In the model comparison on Amazon it lists a S180T and a S180TPAKS but the specs are identical. I went to the Hayward site and compared the two models and the specs are also the same except the PAKS version includes the words "w/top Mt Vlv (Expert Line)" in the title. The link is below so you can see for yourselves.

Hayward Site - Comparing models

Anyone know what that means? Aside from that in the title, all the other specs shown other than the UPC are the same.

Follow up question, this would be fairly easy to install myself, correct? I've owned our AG for 8+ years, have installed a new pump and open and close it every year. I've also deep cleaned our old filter a few times. Filter and 150 pounds of sand and I should be set, correct? Pool store is charging $1100 for filter, sand and install. I almost stroked out. :mad:

I see no difference in the parts listed in the manual. It may be that one is E-commerce and one is dealer sold. Difference in the warranty. I can't tell.

You can tell by my "name" that I feel the same way you do. I was "taken" for at least $1500 by the pool store, including a "UV Sanitation system." If you are reasonable handy, get the filter, fit it up, get the right sand, good to go. We can help.

I had this same question a couple of years ago. They are the same. I called Hayward to find out the difference. They told me is was the same product and different model numbers so they could track which units are sold through installers and ones sold to end customers.

I had this same question a couple of years ago. They are the same. I called Hayward to find out the difference. They told me is was the same product and different model numbers so they could track which units are sold through installers and ones sold to end customers.
Great, thank you both for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.