New Guy Needing Help. Fresh Filled Pool looks like a Lagoon

Welcome to TFP!

Nope, once all your levels are in the right range, you'll have beautiful clean water! Don't get me wrong, it will take a little bit of time to get that cleared up because there's no such thing as a magic potion that you add once and be done.

Hard water will not be an issue, there are easy ways to manage that.

Read up on the SLAM article. It will be your best friend until your water is clear.

Since this is a used pool, there may have been some "stuff" left on the pool or in the filters when it was put away and that's come out now to cloud your water.

And no more "blue" products, only bleach. The items with "blue" in the name have copper in them.

ok guys, I'm starting over. Probably not necessary, but I've got some people coming over this weekend and I'd like to have the pool open. I think a big mistake I made was not cleaning the pool properly before filling it. It had some black stuff on the liner I sprayed some simple green on, but that clearly was not enough. I have access to a pump that will get all the water out in about 3 hours. I'm then going to scrub the liner with a diluted bleach solution. My recommendations on how much to dilute it? Once clean, I'll start refilling. My main question is this....should I proactively add some bleach to the water as it's filling? I have ordered a tf100 test kit but do not have it on hand yet. I do have an aqua hen kit from Walmart but I've been told it's worthless. The pool holds 6700 gallons...is there a formula that will get me close enough to start with?
thanks

How does your pool look right now compared to the picture in post #15?

Part of the issue is that we have no idea what your CYA is right now. You don't know the SLAM level unless you know the CYA level. How much of the Clorox Xtra Blue shock did you put in so far (for CYA and copper)?

By my quick math you have, 3 hours to drain, then 12-16 hours of refill time. Wasting 7000 gallons of water in the process. Plus any time you take cleaning. If you don't mind the water loss & expense, that may not be a bad idea. Especially since you have a fairly simple filter. It is going to take a while for that filter to get the stuff out if you don't drain.
So if you started right now, you would have it filled tomorrow (Friday) noon, minimum.

You could get in there as you're draining and scrub it then as the drain pump is working. No need to wait until the pool is empty.

As you are refilling the pool, you can add some CYA in a sock as the water is coming out of the hose. You can manually add bleach as the water fills also.

PoolMath can tell you how much bleach and CYA to add based on your pool volume. You will want to add enough bleach to reach SLAM levels to prevent this from starting again.

But once you start adding bleach, you will be flying blind without a test kit.

It's certainly not the recommended way of doing this, but if it were me, I'd try it.

By the way, I think the BIGGEST mistake was not enough chlorine in the water and then using solid forms of chlorine.

I have added in total 1 lb of Clorox xtra blue. I don't mind the loss of water. It will cost me about $50. If I pick up some cya and add the approximate appropriate amount for the full pool, I can add bleach too using the pool math calc. I do have a water test kit that should get me in the ballpark even though it's not a "good" kit. The pool looks exactly the same right now as in the picture above

I have added in total 1 lb of Clorox xtra blue. I don't mind the loss of water. It will cost me about $50. If I pick up some cya and add the approximate appropriate amount for the full pool, I can add bleach too using the pool math calc. I do have a water test kit that should get me in the ballpark even though it's not a "good" kit. The pool looks exactly the same right now as in the picture above
I've seen this movie before. You want to know how it ends?

Hi!

I feel like a stranger. I haven't posted in forever here! I had to slow down, It was too addictive. :p

I just wanted to chime in with some encouragement. I have essentially the same pool. Mine is the very old intex version. As a matter of fact, I may be able to win some kind of contest for how long my pool has been up. It has to be close to 10+ years at this point.

Just from a maintenance point of view, (once you get everything cleared up you will probably be looking at similar numbers) My maintenance involves about 20 oz of bleach a day (usually walmart's great value brand 8.25% regular old bleach). (That adds 2 FC for our 6700gal pool. I usually dose for 6 FC. - This means when I test it and it's at 4, I add enough to bring it back up to 6 FC )

It's cheap. I'm lucky and happy to say that my pool has found some sort of happy spot with pH, I literally never have to do anything with it. (Besides test it) It just stays the same and is happy.

This year I added some CYA to bring my pool back up to 30 and that's literally been it.

My kit lasts easily 2 years. I just order refills for the chlorine testing (R-0870 & R-0871) in between but that's because I just keep it open and running all year so I test and add chlorine year round cause I'm too lazy to learn to close it. :p Plus, it's pretty in the winter when it's gloomy outside.

Anyway, don't give up! Get those test results in as soon as you get the kit and you'll be fixed up pretty quickly.

BTW, one of the best things I did was to buy a sand filter + pump combo. That was years ago. I've lost track. But those paper filters that come with the pool are just a pain. For a while, we used the better quality filters (instead of intex brand we found the same size filter cartridge at the pool store but made from better material with many more pleats)

The filter will work, it's just slower so it will take longer to see results. **But** once you have your kit and can test and add what you need, you'll know by your test results that you're on the right track and you're doing your part and you'll be able to have some peace of mind while you wait for the filter to do it's job.

Once you get over the initial "OMG This is insane and impossible and not worth it!" feeling that we all started with.... the day to day maintenance is so easy...you'll find yourself hanging out here looking for someone else to help because you have nothing to do. lol

Picture this:
My husband, in the dark green swamp pool, in the freezing early spring, wearing a wetsuit, scooping muck and random many-legged unidentified creatures out of the pool.

I understand where you're coming from!

We've almost all been there at some point. That's why we're here! :)

Hi!

I feel like a stranger. I haven't posted in forever here! I had to slow down, It was too addictive. :p

I just wanted to chime in with some encouragement. I have essentially the same pool. Mine is the very old intex version. As a matter of fact, I may be able to win some kind of contest for how long my pool has been up. It has to be close to 10+ years at this point.

Just from a maintenance point of view, (once you get everything cleared up you will probably be looking at similar numbers) My maintenance involves about 20 oz of bleach a day (usually walmart's great value brand 8.25% regular old bleach). (That adds 2 FC for our 6700gal pool. I usually dose for 6 FC. - This means when I test it and it's at 4, I add enough to bring it back up to 6 FC )

It's cheap. I'm lucky and happy to say that my pool has found some sort of happy spot with pH, I literally never have to do anything with it. (Besides test it) It just stays the same and is happy.

This year I added some CYA to bring my pool back up to 30 and that's literally been it.

My kit lasts easily 2 years. I just order refills for the chlorine testing (R-0870 & R-0871) in between but that's because I just keep it open and running all year so I test and add chlorine year round cause I'm too lazy to learn to close it. :p Plus, it's pretty in the winter when it's gloomy outside.

Anyway, don't give up! Get those test results in as soon as you get the kit and you'll be fixed up pretty quickly.

BTW, one of the best things I did was to buy a sand filter + pump combo. That was years ago. I've lost track. But those paper filters that come with the pool are just a pain. For a while, we used the better quality filters (instead of intex brand we found the same size filter cartridge at the pool store but made from better material with many more pleats)

The filter will work, it's just slower so it will take longer to see results. **But** once you have your kit and can test and add what you need, you'll know by your test results that you're on the right track and you're doing your part and you'll be able to have some peace of mind while you wait for the filter to do it's job.

Once you get over the initial "OMG This is insane and impossible and not worth it!" feeling that we all started with.... the day to day maintenance is so easy...you'll find yourself hanging out here looking for someone else to help because you have nothing to do. lol

Picture this:
My husband, in the dark green swamp pool, in the freezing early spring, wearing a wetsuit, scooping muck and random many-legged unidentified creatures out of the pool.

I understand where you're coming from!

We've almost all been there at some point. That's why we're here! :)

Great post! Reading it was a huge pick-me-up this morning and I'm not even the one having pool troubles! :)

Great post! Reading it was a huge pick-me-up this morning and I'm not even the one having pool troubles! :)

I ended up pumping the pool dry. I was amazed how much funk had settled to the bottom after the filter/pump was turned off for a few hours. This pool was used and I just don't think I cleaned it well enough initially. I spent several hours scrubbing it down with diluted bleach and got it surgically clean. I started refilling at about 7am and I probably only have bout 2 hours to go before it's full again. It's looking crystal clear right now. Something I never saw the first time. My cheap water test kit shows the tap water here at bout 1.5 ppm FC. Once the pool had several inches of water in it, I added 12oz of bleach. This brought FC up to around 5. A few hours later I added another 12oz as the FC had obviously dropped after a few thousand more gallons were added. I just now added an additional 12oz as the FC tested low (1-2)again. I expected this as the pool continues to fill and it is in the sun. My question is this....should I just be extra vigilant about monitoring/adding bleach for the next 2-3 days until my test kit comes, or should I go pick up some cya and guesstimate how much to put in? This test kit I have had got to be better than nothing and I have a rough idea what my FC is but without any cya I anticipate the chlorine will deplete rapidly and I'll need to add bleach several times a day. Is this advised over picking up some cya?

definitely get the cya into the water...otherwise the sun will eat your chlorine faster than you can pour it in...once you get your kit, you can start dialing in the numbers for real and find out that you are in panic mode for nothing :) you got this and your last few days can be considered a relatively cheap and easy experience compared to how some others get to TFP... just trust the method, it works...but you have to follow it to the letter! no short cuts, no pool store tests, no strip tests, just take control and you will find this is super easy once you have your AHA moment and see the full picture :)

good luck!

Best thing about 6700 gallons and 8.25% bleach? It's really easy to calculate. 10 oz = 1FC

Just a random tip from someone with the same size pool! :) I have a measuring cup that I marked with a sharpie at 10 oz, and 20 oz. I am usually going from 4 to 6 every day. Just did it as a matter of fact. Tested at 4FC, added 20 oz and I should be right back to 6FC.

Now if I could only find my mystery leak...ooollddd pool.. maybe my whole floor is just...holy. lol :)

Glad to see you're back on track. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey, stay far away from that Clorox XtraBlue product line. It contains copper which can not only turn hair and nails green, but cause stains to set in to your pool.

Stick with plain old bleach from the laundry aisle. 8.25% is the norm, no splashless or scented stuff, just plain household bleach.

Maddie :flower:

How do things look today?

the pool looks great today. I'm going to pick up some CYA when I head into town this evening. I have just been adding lots of bleach so far, maintaining FC around 3-4ppm. Several questions:

the pool math math calculator says to add 27oz by weight or 28oz by volume to obtain a 30ppm CYA level. Does this stuff come in powder form so I can easily scoop it out and measure by volume, or is it going to be in tablets? Not sure how I'll measure the right amount if it comes in tablet form. Also...my test kit has not arrived yet. I think it's safe to assume my tap water had 0 ppm cya so I should need the full 28oz to reach desired levels. Is cya something I'll have to maintain daily like FC? How quickly does cy get depleted and need replenishing?

I found a link on here somewhere yesterday and seem to recall reading that 30-50ppm cya and 4-5ppm FC is a good target. I can't find this link now. Can someone confirm these numbers are what I should be shooting for?
Thanks!

the pool looks great today. I'm going to pick up some CYA when I head into town this evening. I have just been adding lots of bleach so far, maintaining FC around 3-4ppm. Several questions:

the pool math math calculator says to add 27oz by weight or 28oz by volume to obtain a 30ppm CYA level. Does this stuff come in powder form so I can easily scoop it out and measure by volume, or is it going to be in tablets? Not sure how I'll measure the right amount if it comes in tablet form. Also...my test kit has not arrived yet. I think it's safe to assume my tap water had 0 ppm cya so I should need the full 28oz to reach desired levels. Is cya something I'll have to maintain daily like FC? How quickly does cy get depleted and need replenishing?

I found a link on here somewhere yesterday and seem to recall reading that 30-50ppm cya and 4-5ppm FC is a good target. I can't find this link now. Can someone confirm these numbers are what I should be shooting for?
Thanks!

Yes, 30-50ppm CYA is a good range to target; calculate for 30 since it's easier to add more later than to overshoot. Your fill water is almost certainly 0ppm CYA. You won't have to maintan CYA daily; it only is lowered when water is splashed or drained out and refilled; it is not generally lowered when water evaporates or from time. Planning to test it to confirm every couple of weeks is sufficient.

Yes, 30-50ppm CYA is a good range to target; calculate for 30 since it's easier to add more later than to overshoot. Your fill water is almost certainly 0ppm CYA. You won't have to maintan CYA daily; it only is lowered when water is splashed or drained out and refilled; it is not generally lowered when water evaporates or from time. Planning to test it to confirm every couple of weeks is sufficient.

great, thanks so much!

the pool math math calculator says to add 27oz by weight or 28oz by volume to obtain a 30ppm CYA level. Does this stuff come in powder form so I can easily scoop it out and measure by volume, or is it going to be in tablets? Not sure how I'll measure the right amount if it comes in tablet form. Also...my test kit has not arrived yet.
It comes in granular form and in liquid form. The granular is probably the best option. 27 oz by wt is about 1.5 lbs.

I think it's safe to assume my tap water had 0 ppm cya so I should need the full 28oz to reach desired levels.
Yes, your tap water had no CYA in it so assume it's zero.

Is cya something I'll have to maintain daily like FC? How quickly does cy get depleted and need replenishing?
CYA stays in your pool water forever**. The only way to reduce is to drain water or during splash out. It is not a regular added item and you will not maintain it daily, it will just be there. The only time you have to replenish is after a large water replacement. But at that point you would always check it first before you add it.
** CYA does drop a couple of ppm per month on its own. It is so minimal that it isn't worth considering.

Thanks!

Try these two links
FC / CYAChart

Recommended Levels

It comes in granular form and in liquid form. The granular is probably the best option. 27 oz by wt is about 1.5 lbs.

Yes, your tap water had no CYA in it so assume it's zero.

CYA stays in your pool water forever**. The only way to reduce is to drain water or during splash out. It is not a regular added item and you will not maintain it daily, it will just be there. The only time you have to replenish is after a large water replacement. But at that point you would always check it first before you add it.
** CYA does drop a couple of ppm per month on its own. It is so minimal that it isn't worth considering.

Try these two links
FC / CYAChart

Fecommended Levels

i picked up some Clorox brand "saltwater stabilizer" at Walmart as that's all they had. The bottle says 100% cyanuric acid. Am I ok to use this, or is this for SWG pools only?

I have the same stuff. Last time I bought it was just labeled stabilizer this year they added "salt water". Makes no sense. It's like they're deliberately trying to confuse people. It's working!

Thankful for TFP where we can all learn to look past the crazy advertising and see the products for what they actually are.

Totally unrelated side note: Good news, I think I fixed my leak!

ManBear, glad you're sticking with it. You're definitely coming along. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.