New Guy From Indianapolis

ncoliver1

Apr 29, 2023
Indianapolis
Hello everyone,

Just moved to Indianapolis area and first time pool owner. The pool was opened for the pool inspection about a month and a half ago. The pump and heater needed replacing, so the water sat stagnant with no chemicals for a month and a half while we closed on the house and got someone out to work on it. Installed the 3 hp black and decker pump and a new raypak heater. I tried the slam method using bleach from Sam's club and was making no progress and never got above .4 free chlorine. Today, all the numbers are finally looking where they should be. All I've used is bleach and baking soda. I'm estatic it's where it should be. My wife was about to make me give up and call a pool company to fix it. Read lots of the forum on here and used the pool math app, so thank you all for the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: MillerCourtResort
Hi and welcome! It sounds like you’re on the right track. For future reference, these days “liquid chlorine” tends to be a better value than household bleach. It comes in 10-12.5% concentration so a gallon goes further.

I believe you have Menards in Indy, that’s where I’ve seen the best prices. About $5 for a gallon of 12.5%, stored indoors, and usually pretty fresh. It’s in gallon jugs by the pool stuff and labeled “pool shock”.

Reactions: MillerCourtResort