New Gunite pool in Westchester, NY

Things I see.

The Jandy check valve on the blower is going to rob you of air pressure. There are checks with lower spring tensions meant for this application. The lower spring tension means the blower won't use as much of it's available pressure to open the spring loaded flap.

The salt cell should have been lower to the ground.

A JVA actuated bypass for the heat pump, to prevent pushing too much water, should be installed for when higher pump speeds are used, such as in spa mode. A 2 HP E-Pump can push a lot of water.

Don't leave the pad area unsupported. You can see the base is already washing away.

Nice pool.

Scott

Emerging from hibernation here and need to make some quick coping decisions. I don't like the look of narrow coping, particularly how it is typically fanned out around bends so that the inner corners touch, the outer corners are wider and the caulk seam is like a "V".
No such preference of mine is specified in the PB contract of course.
How much "bigger" of a job is it to use larger 2 foot pieces of travertine and template around the pool so I have a nice looking job with relatively even sizes of coping and parallel caulk joints?

Well, I can answer my own question. Evidently templated limestone is roughly seven times bigger of a job than technobloc strips. Gulp.
Some progress from this week:
web.jpg

web.jpg

1500 sq feet of travertine shows up tomorrow. Coping/pool tiling early next week if weather cooperates.

Man it's good to see the French pattern stone decking going down. I have 10 pallets sitting in my driveway of the same thing. Looking great.

What kind of spa jets are you using and did you or the pb buybthem? From where if you bought them?

Thanks.
Lershac, I have no idea on the spa jets manufacturer but your question has me interested now... are jets different enough that one brand is better than the next?
Right now the spa is just roughed out with 1-1/2" PVC stubbed out through the spa walls. Now's the time I could ask the PB for a particular brand. Plastering in 2 weeks.

Some huge progress today, too. The Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz went on and the water went in. It was interesting watching the application of it; I was impressed with how much scraping and muriatic acid prep went on, then hosing off and cleaning the shell before the plaster. After the plaster setup somewhat, they switched footwear from spikes to flat boards wrapped in cloth, and began to wash the cream off of the Diamondbrite. Crew of 5 guys for this part, always moving, always hosing, and pumping out from the deep end. When they were done, it did look flawless. It appears lighter than we hoped for, but is still very very nice looking. We purposefully stayed away from some of the darker colors that look so good... until they start to mottle, streak, and show every flaw. Tough call but I think we made the right one for us b/c we're both fussy about details.

We added three truck loads of water and then topped off with the hose for the spa.
IMG_0580.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. We certainly do like it too. Here's an evening shot of our firepit in the rain. It looks even better to me when it's wet, but I'm not going to seal it over concerns that it would get slippery.
The stone supply simply called it almond travertine, made out of 5 different sized stones laid in a French pattern.
web.jpg

Nightmare said:
Is the fire pit setup for wood only? I still need to finish up my 4' pit. I'd really like to find a way to burn wood and gas in the same pit without making a huge mess out of the gas burner.

Get one that's removable? Problem then is you really have to clean out the mess from the wood fire to switch back to gas.

Great video! Did you heat the pool too? Mine was at about 85 yesterday and today.

Food bills in the summer are almost as harsh as the gas bill but worth it.

Scott

PS- When you decide on a cover, make sure that if you choose a safety cover, they use anchor in pipe, masonry collars (aka beauty rings), and a core drill. I also would insert 2' long #5 rebar for a deeper bite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.