New Gunite Build in SETX

Here's in the morning when they were starting. Then after they were done right after I came home from work.

Tomorrow they're coming to do the plumbing runs. Gunite Thursday morning. 😁

Attachments

• 20220628_191956.jpg
    20220628_191956.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220628_191929.jpg
    20220628_191929.jpg
    847.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220628_191858.jpg
    20220628_191858.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20220628_191757.jpg
    20220628_191757.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20220628_191836.jpg
    20220628_191836.jpg
    864.8 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: .ben and Mcow
Before you make a final decision on Liquid Chlorine vs SWG I'd do a half dozen dry runs spaced a week apart each just to see if Liquid Chlorine is available and at what price. Here in New Braunfels it's a rarity finding any Liquid Chlorine due to everybody and their brother has put in a pool since the Chinese lung flu got started.

Before you make a final decision on Liquid Chlorine vs SWG I'd do a half dozen dry runs spaced a week apart each just to see if Liquid Chlorine is available and at what price. Here in New Braunfels it's a rarity finding any Liquid Chlorine due to everybody and their brother has put in a pool since the Chinese lung flu got started.
Actually when I updated my info, I couldn't select a chlorine that wasn't liquid. We're getting an inline chlorinator for tabs.

It's crazy... Everyone on here and others I know personally that had pools said go SWG. But literally every pool builder we've talked to has said it's better to go chlorine. Our previous pool when we lived in Maryland was also chlorine, but I was looking to go to SWG. Pool stores and builders there also were pro SWG. I don't know why builders here have been anti SWG.

I’m about 45 minutes from you (in SWLA) and a bit further along in the gunite process.

We had our decking poured today and now I’m looking at umbrellas. Is there a way to mount the purple leafs in ground without the big box?

Reactions: YankeeTexan
It's crazy... Everyone on here and others I know personally that had pools said go SWG. But literally every pool builder we've talked to has said it's better to go chlorine. Our previous pool when we lived in Maryland was also chlorine, but I was looking to go to SWG. Pool stores and builders there also were pro SWG. I don't know why builders here have been anti SWG.

Man Deja vu, I just finished posting this in another thread. Pool builders in Texas consider SWCGs the bogeyman for whatever reason. My personal theory is that this is because many pool builders also offer weekly service, and a SWCG is not conducive to that business model. Salt water pools are chlorine pools and vice versa. Period.

Tabs are not recommended with the TFP method since they allow for uncontrolled CYA increase. This will eventually lead a point where your water chemistry will not be manageable and you will need to drain. SWCG is undoubtedly the way to go, especially here in TX where the constant sun is a killer. Trust me, I'm already sick of jug lugging and it's only June.

I’m about 45 minutes from you (in SWLA) and a bit further along in the gunite process.

We had our decking poured today and now I’m looking at umbrellas. Is there a way to mount the purple leafs in ground without the big box?
This is what we bought for the purple leaf umbrellas.
In Ground Base
They also have these for mounting directly to a deck.
Deck Base

Reactions: Staceyleah22
Man Deja vu, I just finished posting this in another thread. Pool builders in Texas consider SWCGs the bogeyman for whatever reason. My personal theory is that this is because many pool builders also offer weekly service, and a SWCG is not conducive to that business model. Salt water pools are chlorine pools and vice versa. Period.

Tabs are not recommended with the TFP method since they allow for uncontrolled CYA increase. This will eventually lead a point where your water chemistry will not be manageable and you will need to drain. SWCG is undoubtedly the way to go, especially here in TX where the constant sun is a killer. Trust me, I'm already sick of jug lugging and it's only June.
Unfortunately I'm not prepared to make a purchase of a SWG right now. I haven't done my research to find one that'll be robust enough for me.
I'll add it to the first upgrade list.

Trust me, I'm already sick of jug lugging and it's only June.
It took me 1.5 hours to find 6 jugs to hold me over until my salt was delivered and mixed. I shopped *once* and manually added for *2 days* and it was too much. It's also ridiculously more expensive to dose with LC right now.

@YankeeTexan, I understand the budget thing. I just built my own pool. Shave $1500 off anywhere else to make up the difference. Make the patio 1.75 inches smaller all around if you have to, you'll never even notice.

Here is your SWG/LC maths for your 19.5k gallon pool.

$6 gallon of LC : $1.16 per FC
$4 gallon of LC : $0.66 per FC

^^^^^ depending on sales you will land somewhere between these two.

(The expensive 2X rated SWG) IC40 : $ 0.42 per FC.
^^^ there are cheaper models for even more savings.

Over its lifespan the SWG will pay for, or mostly pay for the next SWG. The time and effort saved not having to locate/haul /add LC is simply unquantifiable.

Reactions: dfwnoob and .ben

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I understand and I thank everyone for their input! I really do appreciate it!

Unfortunately it is too late for changes as of right now. I'm not changing anything to the design to accommodate the SWG.

Look... I get it! I'm a chemical engineer by trade and water chemistry has been my arena for a while. I also understand running projects and doing all this work while under construction is only going to add to SOW confusion, frustration, and cost increases that I can't afford right now.

I also want to make sure I am getting the right SWG system for me. I evaluate equipment all the time. To a fault I do the same analysis with home purchases also. It drives my wife nuts but I want to ensure my money is well spent.

I just want to enjoy the the joy of the build process right now. It's been very exciting seeing all this come together in the past few weeks. 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Actually when I updated my info, I couldn't select a chlorine that wasn't liquid. We're getting an inline chlorinator for tabs.

We just finished our second pool. I got talked out of the SWG on our first pool by our PB and regretted it every time I dumped another gallon of chlorine in my pool while my next door neighbor that had a SWG laughed at me. It was mandatory on the new pool and I just told the PB do not bother even quoting it without one. I am also in Texas and have no idea why they are so against them here. During our summers it can easily take a gallon a day just fyi.

So they did the plumbing stubs and shot the gunite today due to pending weather through the weekend. Sadly when I got home and took these pictures, the rain started. It then picked up to a downpour. I took the dogs out just now (a few hours after they left) and I noticed one portion of the shell has crumbled. I'm worried about about it's integrity now.20220629_160929.jpg20220629_161032.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Newdude
Do you have pictures of the part that crumbled?

Don't forget to water your shell. You cannot water too often, especially in this Texas heat. I would water for at least 7 days, but the first 3-4 days are the most critical.

Do you have pictures of the part that crumbled?

Don't forget to water your shell. You cannot water too often, especially in this Texas heat. I would water for at least 7 days, but the first 3-4 days are the most critical.
No it was dark but that time but I could see it with flashlight.
Funny they didn't say that but I did see that while trying to see if the heavy rain messed it up.

I was a little skeptical of the purple leaf "anchor" and whether it would rust out. I just dug a 2' deep x 1' diameter hole, filled it a little over ground level, and put concrete anchors in. Mounted the umbrella stand directly into the concrete. You will need to rent / borrow / buy a hammer drill, otherwise you will need luck to drill the perfect holes for the anchors. Or you could opt for putting threaded posts in the concrete before it sets using a home-made template for the purple leaf mount.

Reactions: Staceyleah22
A bit close to the house, neh?
Left side of your pic or right side coming out of your patio. Is that 3 feet to the edge of the coping? Where the gutter is. If not, monitor it. If so, why so close given you have a big Rear yard. Forces foot traffic one way and/or doing the cautious walk to not fall in the pool.

Could just be the angle.

Reactions: YankeeTexan
A bit close to the house, neh?
Left side of your pic or right side coming out of your patio. Is that 3 feet to the edge of the coping? Where the gutter is. If not, monitor it. If so, why so close given you have a big Rear yard. Forces foot traffic one way and/or doing the cautious walk to not fall in the pool.

Could just be the angle.
We thought it would've been a little further out but it is what it is now. It's not too tight walking that way but it is closer than we expected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.