New Frustrated, Inexperienced Owner Learning on the Fly

rm455

May 7, 2024
Cleveland
Just learned about this site today. I found the responses to be thoughtful and informed, so I thought I would ask for help. Opened pool over weekend. Above-ground, 28 foot round pool. Sta-Rite motor, Raypack heater, and Pentair filter. (I put specs at bottom).Thought everything was a go for last week’s after-school visit with 2 of my 10-year-old daughter’s friends. She was so excited. Telling me how to arrange deck furniture; reminded me to start heating the pool early, so it was not freezing; helped me clean deck.

It did not go well.As you can guess, the pool was freezing. Motor keeps going on and off and heater seems to be working but water not getting hot. My other 2 kids want to have friends over. We moved here to have a pool. It’s been frustrating. Appreciate any advice and apologies for long post.

Background: Moved into house 3 years ago. Experience with pool companies opening and closing have been terrible. HEATER: First year, company broke heater…on and on. So, I’m learning on the fly. Spent all day last week thoroughly cleaning 3 year-old heater; disassembled it including cleaning heat exchanger. It’s rusting — don’t know if normal. Last year, had to have part replaced(I can’t recall) on heater; but I remember the technician saying it’s not a great heater. Pool company paid for some of it since they broke it. MOTOR: Inherited motor. Last year, motor started cycling on and off but eventually seemed to work at end of summer. Tech looked at it and did something with reset mechanism inside. It gets really hot. My electric bill tripled in the summer. FILTER: Got a new filter cartridge 2 years ago. Pool company said that filter system is old but I can’t trust what they say given the experience I have had with them.

ELECTRICAL: I am wondering if electrical is good. I tested GCFI receptacle, where heater is plugged into, and it’s good. I have a 3-prong outlet for motor. I have a dedicated double 20amp GCFI circuit breaker. Motor bonded via wire going into the soil that’s presumably connected to grounding rod or running underground to house’s ground. Heater not bonded nor any parts of pool; handrails of steps are metal (aluminum.) I had an electrician upgrade house electrical main and sub panel when we moved in but I am questioning competency as I learn more about electrical. The GFCI breaker for pool seems loose in panel. And it tripped last week when I was cleaning heater. Has not tripped in last several days but motor goes on and off randomly. It gets really hot. Maybe motor is somehow connected to timer for lights in front of house (I don’t think so but don’t want to leave any detail out). Previous owners did not mention any safety problems.

Where to start? Is the pool safe? I was told to make sure GFCI works? Yes, it does. It concerns me that metal around pool not bonded. No overhead power lines, lights - nothing. To my knowledge, no underground wiring under pool nor close to pool other motor ask spun With new motor, maybe heater will work? Filter is old but seems to work, and therefore last priority? Of course, calling a professional is warranted but I have not had good experiences and have spent thousands so far with limited results. So, I am trying to educate myself before calling anyone. Thanks for your patience and any advice.

SOLAR COVER: And the solar cover we inherited ripped apart 2 days ago. I am looking at this one but do not know anything about covers. https://www.amazon.com/Dohenys-Micr...6b9-83b7-70d75d3c468c&pd_rd_i=B086679GCW&th=1

Raypak®

POOL HEATER
Model P-R156A-EN-C
A Rheem Company
Serial 200125739
Model P-R156A-EN-C
BTU/HR. INPUT/0-1999
MIN: THERMAL EFFICIENCY
ANS: 221.56*CSA 4.7-2014
82 PERCENT
BTU/HR. OUTPUT/150,000
-OFIFICE DIMS/123,000

Sta-Rite Motor # CA8M2A24BY
Pump Model MoJWPS5YG7L-A®
HP 2
SPL - .16
5450/1725RPM 8.F.1:0

MaxAmps 16.0/3.8

115V

8042 1PH 1.51.12kN

Filter

Pentair

Pool

S5YG7L - A1

JR 3PL2SP HD

4016109070070M

Serial 02211007805RK

1715780521789.jpeg

Welcome to TFP.

Let's deal with one problem at a time and begin with your pump.

Show us pics of your pump plug and outlet.

It sounds like you are running a 16A pump with a 15A plug and outlet. We are having that discussion in...

If your plug does not look like this then it is not a 20A plug...

img_4547-jpeg.573114

That may not be your entire pump problem. Pump motors have thermal protection and if the motor gets too hot it will shutdown until it cools.

Post pics of your pump and the motor data plate.

Also show us pics of your equipment setup.

Welcome to TFP.

It sounds like you are running a 16A pump with a 15A plug and outlet. We are having that discussion in...

img_4547-jpeg.573114

That may not be your entire pump problem. Pump motors have thermal protection and if the motor gets too hot it will shutdown until it cools.

thank you for your response. Here are pics of equipment setup, including motor plug, receptacle, and motor tag. House built in 92 and not sure the age of the pool.

Attachments

• tempImageaGmVDB.png
    tempImageaGmVDB.png
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImage0nmTo9.png
    tempImage0nmTo9.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • tempImage3Sj9Pz.png
    tempImage3Sj9Pz.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImagelIcBxw.png
    tempImagelIcBxw.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImages7j6Q3.png
    tempImages7j6Q3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImagedbvtoY.png
    tempImagedbvtoY.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImagePVeJBX.png
    tempImagePVeJBX.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
thank you for your response. Here are pics of equipment setup, including motor plug, receptacle, and motor tag. House built in 92 and not sure the age of the pool.
I attached another tag on motor and 2 tags on filter and 1 tag on heater. I intended include these pics in original post but didn't realize the size was not compatible. It appears motor has 20amp plug and receptacle is 20amp. Thanks again for any advice. Very much appreciate it.

Attachments

• heater tG.jpg
    heater tG.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 5
  • tempImageBRblx0.png
    tempImageBRblx0.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • tempImageUMIpM7.png
    tempImageUMIpM7.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • FILTERTAGB.jpeg
    FILTERTAGB.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 4
Another not so good weekend with pool. Motor continues to cycle on and off and heater not heating pool. I've attached the Motor tag in previous message. How do I tell how old it is? I am assuming it's old. Any recommendations for new motor? TFP has been incredibly informative and I am realizing how much I don't know as a first time pool owner. The pool material is important. The water chemistry is relevant to heater longevity. The method of testing is very important. I attached pic of pool. I believe it's fiberglass? I attached pic of testing strips. I believe they are not accurate? I will search TFP for a testing kit. And I attached part of heater manual that explains levels of chemicals necessary. Going back to motor. I presume it needs replaced. And I presume the motor is cause for utility bill tripling last summer. Recommendations? Thanks

Attachments

• tempImageEE4ObJ.png
    tempImageEE4ObJ.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • tempImage53qLAV.png
    tempImage53qLAV.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • tempImageJ3fZCi.png
    tempImageJ3fZCi.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • tempImageusBfX5.png
    tempImageusBfX5.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
I can't pinpoint your exact motor replacement. The data plate says it is a 2HP motor and Inyopools does not show it on this page...

I suggest you contact them and see if a replacement motor is available or discuss a replacement pump.

For a test kit get the Taylor-K-2006C or TFT Test Kits

For chemical levels...

I can't pinpoint your exact motor replacement. The data plate says it is a 2HP motor and Inyopools does not show it on this page...

I suggest you contact them and see if a replacement motor is available or discuss a replacement pump.

For a test kit get the Taylor-K-2006C or TFT Test Kits

For chemical levels...

Thank you. Calling them now

What is important is the "Frame" nomenclature of the pump. Probably an easy crossover if that can be determined.
I contacted INYO Pools, whom had high praise for TFP, and then found a company called Doheny’s. Neither could determine age but INYO Pools, which was very helpful, said it’s been 10 years since co made products in USA. My utility bills tripled so I inquired about high efficiency. I read variable speed is key. The Doheny priced at $169 does not appear to be variable speed. The INYO Pool model priced at $299 is variable but does not come with a high /lo switch, and I believe that’s the variable speed mechanism? It’s a $75 extra part and I wonder if a tech is needed to put that on. Am I locked into this replacement or can I get a different motor?

INYO Pool
Century 1.5 HP Thru-Bolt 48Y Dual Speed Motor - BN50V1
PART # BN50V1
WARRANTY 1 YEAR
DIMENSIONS 12" L X 8.5" W X 5.5" D
Application: Above Ground Pools & Spas Replaces: Sta-Rite, Hayward, American Products, Hydra Bath, Pac Fab, Jacuzzi, Doughboy, Etc... Features: All copper windins, Auto protector, Open drip proof, Stainless steel threaded shaft, Thrubolt pump mount, "1081" design, 60 HZ , 115V, H.P = 1.5 High Speed / .188 Low Speed, Full load Amps = 13.5 High speed / 4.7 Low Speed, Frame 48Y, Threaded Shaft

**NOTE THIS MOTOR IS SHIPPED LESS HI-LO SWITCH. YOU MAY PURCHASE THE HI-LO SWITCH SEPARATELY BY ORDERING PART # 18313301.**

Doheny's Above Ground Pool Pump, 115V, 1.5 HP (1.2 THP)
Brand Doheny's MPN 72730 SKU 6579
  • Max Flow Rate:
    1.5 hp (1.2 THP): 83 gpm
    Note: Flow rates are approximate.
  • Max Total Resistance to Flow (Feet of Head):
    1.5 hp (1.2 THP): 40 ft
    Note: Max Head (ft) is approximate.
  • Strainer includes large, easy-to-clean filter basket.
  • See-through cover allows quick inspection of strainer.
  • Comes with a twist and lock lid.
  • Internal threading is 1.5 inch and External threading is 2.5 inch.
  • Convenient drain plug makes winter maintenance easy.
  • The corrosion-proof, Stainless Steel motor shaft is constructed with a reinforced thermoplastic body for extra durability and long life.
  • 115 Volt.
  • Standard three-prong plug grounded connection on a 6 ft. cord.
  • Meets All CSA & ETL Requirements

My Pool & Equipment
27’ round above ground, 5’ depth, 1 skimmer, 1 return. Cleveland area. Use only in summer. I think fiberglass. Motor cycles on and off. Pool heats poorly. Experience w Pool companies poor. Solar cover ripped. Testing strips no good. And pool unbalanced terribly. Motor grounded. Heater not bonded and pool not grounded. Buying testing kit, new solar cover. Next:Trying to replace motor.

Sta-Rite Motor # C48M2A24BT (I cannot locate frame)
Pump Model JWPS5YG7L-A
HP 2 SPL - .16
?450/1725 RPM S.F. 1.0
MaxAmps 16.0/ 3.6
115V 60HZ 1PH 1.5/.12kW

CSA ENCL: 3
I?aul Class B Am? Temp 5or60 Time Rating SPL
Thermally Protected PROT CH Code J
Insulated wet end pump;
Serial: 035D07P 0070

2nd Tag on Motor
Pump Model JWPS5YG7L-A
Serial 4016109070070M
??????? 2HP SPL 2SP HD
Container ID SITE E

Filter
Pentair P/N 178555 REV E. Model 200. Eff Filt Area (sqft) 200; Design Flow Rate (gpm) 150; Max Working Pressure (psi) 50; Pressure Drop at Design Flow Rate (psi) 8; Clear to Remove Top (in.) 68; Replacement Elem Part R173217

Raypack 156a Heater (3 years old) Does not work well.

Welcome to TFP.

img_4547-jpeg.573114

Thank you again for helping me. Per your request, I contacted INYO Pools, whom had high praise for TFP. They could not determine age but said it’s been 10 years since co. made products in USA. They gave me a recommended replacement below. The model is priced at $299 and is variable but does not come with a high /lo switch( I believe that’s the variable speed mechanism.) It’s a $75 extra part and I wonder if a tech is needed to put that on or can I do it. Am I locked into this replacement or can I get a different motor? I need a high efficiency motor and asked if this was high efficiency but didn’t hear back. My utility bill tripled. I then found a company called Doheny’s.The Doheny priced at $169 does not appear to be variable speed.

INYO Pool
Century 1.5 HP Thru-Bolt 48Y Dual Speed Motor - BN50V1
PART # BN50V1
WARRANTY 1 YEAR
DIMENSIONS 12" L X 8.5" W X 5.5" D
Application: Above Ground Pools & Spas Replaces: Sta-Rite, Hayward, American Products, Hydra Bath, Pac Fab, Jacuzzi, Doughboy, Etc... Features: All copper windins, Auto protector, Open drip proof, Stainless steel threaded shaft, Thrubolt pump mount, "1081" design, 60 HZ , 115V, H.P = 1.5 High Speed / .188 Low Speed, Full load Amps = 13.5 High speed / 4.7 Low Speed, Frame 48Y, Threaded Shaft
**NOTE THIS MOTOR IS SHIPPED LESS HI-LO SWITCH. YOU MAY PURCHASE THE HI-LO SWITCH SEPARATELY BY ORDERING PART # 18313301.**

Doheny's Above Ground Pool Pump, 115V, 1.5 HP (1.2 THP)
Brand Doheny's MPN 72730 SKU 6579
  • Max Flow Rate:
    1.5 hp (1.2 THP): 83 gpm
    Note: Flow rates are approximate.
  • Max Total Resistance to Flow (Feet of Head):
    1.5 hp (1.2 THP): 40 ft
    Note: Max Head (ft) is approximate.
  • Strainer includes large, easy-to-clean filter basket.
  • See-through cover allows quick inspection of strainer.
  • Comes with a twist and lock lid.
  • Internal threading is 1.5 inch and External threading is 2.5 inch.
  • Convenient drain plug makes winter maintenance easy.
  • The corrosion-proof, Stainless Steel motor shaft is constructed with a reinforced thermoplastic body for extra durability and long life.
  • 115 Volt.
  • Standard three-prong plug grounded connection on a 6 ft. cord.
  • Meets All CSA & ETL Requirements

My Pool & Equipment (? denote unreadable part of tag)
27’ round above ground, 5’ depth, 1 skimmer, 1 return. Cleveland area. Use only in summer. I think fiberglass. Motor cycles on and off. Pool heats poorly. Experience w Pool companies poor. Solar cover ripped. Testing strips no good. And pool unbalanced terribly. Motor grounded. Heater not bonded and pool not grounded. Bought TFP testing kit and sampler yesterday.

Sta-Rite Motor # C48M2A24BT (I cannot locate frame)
Pump Model JWPS5YG7L-A
HP 2 SPL - .16
?450/1725 RPM S.F. 1.0
MaxAmps 16.0/ 3.6
115V 60HZ 1PH 1.5/.12kW
CSA ENCL: 3
I?aul Class B Am? Temp 5or60 Time Rating SPL
Thermally Protected PROT CH Code J
Insulated wet end pump;
Serial: 035D07P 0070

2nd Tag on Motor
Pump Model JWPS5YG7L-A
Serial 4016109070070M
??????? 2HP SPL 2SP HD
Container ID SITE E

Raypack 156a Heater (3 years old) Does not work well.
Model P-R156A-EN-C, 82 PERCENT, BTU/HR. OUTPUT/150,000

Filter Pentair, S5YG7L - A1, JR 3PL2SP HD, Serial 02211007805RK
Pentair P/N 178555 REV E. Model 200. Eff Filt Area (sqft) 200; Design Flow Rate (gpm) 150; Max Working Pressure (psi) 50; Pressure Drop at Design Flow Rate (psi) 8; Clear to Remove Top (in.) 68; Replacement Elem Part R173217

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pump is mounted with a side outlet directly into your filter. I don't know if the Dohenys pump can do that.

If you just change the motor to the Century 1.5 HP Thru-Bolt 48Y Dual Speed Motor - BN50V1 nothing else in your setup would need to change.

Given your equipment I don't think you will run your pump at low speed. Skip the switch and wire the motor up to run at high speed. You can always get the swicth later and rewire the motor if you want to try low speed.

Last edited: