New forum member and new to pool

I don't feel as concerned about the filtration. Not only did your posts reassure me that it is ok, the pool looks much clearer! I would imagine that the slight tint that remains will be gone rather quickly. The improvement in the last day is quite impressive. I can use my new kit tomorrow to determine where I am at and do the OCLT.

I did update my signature to reflect confirmation of my filtration system. I guessed way off on the filter size initially lol, darned newbs!

I can't thank you all enough and once my checking account rebounds from all the costs of opening the pool, I will definitely become a contributor.

You are well on your way to "getting it". It is hugely rewarding to those of us that prowl these pages daily to watch someone come onboard and figure out that this stuff really does work and only takes a little thinking to get used to it and then execute it. Nice work on your pool!!

duraleigh said:
You are well on your way to "getting it". It is hugely rewarding to those of us that prowl these pages daily to watch someone come onboard and figure out that this stuff really does work and only takes a little thinking to get used to it and then execute it. Nice work on your pool!!

Thank you sir. My fiance was pretty apprehensive in my approach. I told her there is intelligent information from those who post on this forum. Having studied Chemistry both in high school and college, the information made complete sense. Quite honestly its a KISS method to pool maintenance.

Great test kit to know exactly where you are, calculator to tell you how to get from "now" to "goal", some pretty fundamental concepts and then learn as you go for the more advanced principles.

The main thing is to be open minded and want to "understand" instead of listen to someone tell you, add this and this and then you are done... which is what pool companies thrive on because they can tell you all sorts of expensive additions that then need to be counteracted at some later point.

From thermodynamics, its quite well known that each variation of chemicals can significantly affect reactions and outcomes.

I also hope to contribute someday as I learn and develop more of an understanding of my large chemistry experiment in the backyard. I hope opening next year will be easier and I am sure I will learn how to close properly to help with the process.

Thanks again and tomorrow I can post a photo and real numbers!

Steve

Ok so I got my TF-100 test kit. Wow, what a reminder of chem lab!
Speed stirrer should *not* be considered optional *LOL* I will buy one very soon!

So the good news, the pool *looks* fairly clear as of this morning, still some very slight discoloration

CYA is a tad under 50, I would say 48.
TA is 80

I didn't do any other tests than FC because I am still very high, in fact I am at 40ppm :(
I hope I haven't done damage, stupid test strips!

Once FC has dropped to typical shock levels I will run a complete test.

I will edit tonight from home where I can access photobucket and provide pics.

Finally chlorine has dropped enough to do an entire test:

67 deg.
FC 7.0
CC 3.5
TC 10.5
CYA 48
TA 80
pH 7.2
CH 0

The pool looks great, although I am wondering if I have a smallish leak. I seem to loose water, but not alot. It isn't very warm to truly be having evaporation. Also is the CC something to be concerned? I haven't been running my pump during the day so that might be a contributor? lastly, should CH be a concern in my AGP with vinyl wall?

I was thinking about bumping my TA up to 100 and letting that adjust my pH a tad higher.

Thanks for any feedback!

Steve

You've still got a ways to go according to your test numbers. The result of 3.5 on your CC test show's us that there are still a TON of yuckies living in your pool. You need to boost your Free Chlorine (FC) levels up from 7 to 15. Keep your levels up above 15 at all times or you're giving the algae a chance to re-group and start again. It may take a week or so of shocking, but after that all will be a snap to maintain. I would also run the pump and filter 24/7 until this is finished.

As for the CH.....can you please describe how you've been doing this test?? A zero result is odd from what I've read. The remainder of the test results are just fine. You can bump the TA up a few after shocking, but it's not something I'd worry about now.

Thank you for the feedback! My pool has been crystal clear for almost a week yet I still have organic growth consuming chlorine? Is there more information (looked at pool school, etc) for CCs? I like to understand :)

Steve

Steve, have you thoroughly checked/scrubbed/cleaned ladders, skimmers, etc?

Also, if you have a cover on the pool, it needs to be off during the day so that the sunlight can help destroy CC's.

Got a pic for us?

I will have to post picture tonight, as my work doesn't allow me to access sites like photobucket.
I have no cover on the pool yet, and I will need to scrub the ladder I presume, as that has not been done yet.
Water temp is a bit cool but this was on purpose so I could learn/open the pool before it was time to use it :)
The water itself is so clear that it almost acts like a magnifying glass on the remaining dirt on the floor that needs vacuumed (and there isn't much)
My chlorine level has been very slow at dropping, I had passed the OCLT last Thursday, and had no CC. I was quite surprised I had CC last night.
I must add, the trees have been dropping "stuff" into the pool and it has been skimmed out so this perhaps has created the situation?

Thanks again!

Edit: I added my pool to my avatar, it is small but that was last Tuesday. it cleared up to crystal by Thursday.

Well, that does seem like a big jump, so maybe there was a testing error?

If you test again tonight and still have CC, you should do another OCLT.

Tree 'stuff' falling in the pool that gets removed within a reasonable time usually just eats a little of the FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.