Nov 29, 2022
TX
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
So I am thinking when I install my new filter booster pump I will need to rework the current suction piping to get a little more height and it is in bad shape. I was going to cut the three existing risers at or slightly below grade and then install a new 2-inch coupling on the risers. The only part that is making me a little nervous is getting all three new riser sections to the extract same height and then cutting the small spools of pipe between fittings so the dimensions are correct left to right on the risers. Just wondering if there were any tips or tricks on something like this and if this can be construed without putting stress on the existing underground pipes since I cannot move their locations. Think this is doable?

Attachments

• 1276A0CD-34E9-4DAD-A9A5-FDFDA11279F2.jpeg
    1276A0CD-34E9-4DAD-A9A5-FDFDA11279F2.jpeg
    707.8 KB · Views: 11
Prefit the pipe using soapy water to get full penetration. It's still hard to get it to fit up but you have to do this to get a trued up and square installation with good penetration at each fitting. Then when everything is square mark the edges of each fitting with a pencil. Also mark a perpendicular line from the pipe to the fitting. Use a pencil not a magic marker since the glue will dissolve anything other than a pencil. When you glue the fittings line them up with the marks

Reactions: TX Pool
Prefit the pipe using soapy water to get full penetration. It's still hard to get it to fit up but you have to do this to get a trued up and square installation with good penetration at each fitting. Then when everything is square mark the edges of each fitting with a pencil. Also mark a perpendicular line from the pipe to the fitting. Use a pencil not a magic marker since the glue will dissolve anything other than a pencil. When you glue the fittings line them up with the marks

Thanks for the info! I am so glad I have found this site! At this point I am all in and pretty much all of the surface equipment will be rebuilt by the time I am done ;-). It needed a little TLC I am just a little nervous when I start cutting into the lines that go below grade. I do not know if I have room to add it but would you add a diverter valve downstream of my cartridge filter? The old setup did not have a way to pump to waste as that was removed when they changed out the sand filter to the CF. I was just going to use my water bug pump and drop it in the pool if I needed to pump it down for any reason but with a total rework of the piping I was not sure if I made sense to add the diverter valve.

would you add a diverter valve downstream of my cartridge filter? The old setup did not have a way to pump to waste as that was removed when they changed out the sand filter to the CF. I was just going to use my water bug pump and drop it in the pool if I needed to pump it down for any reason but with a total rework of the piping I was not sure if I made sense to add the diverter valve.

The DRAIN TO WASTE valve needs to be applied between the pump and filter so that you can drain water before it goes through the filter.

The main use of that drain valve would be if a big storm was causing the water level to get high and you wanted to drain the pool down so it does not overflow.

Otherwise the valve is of limited use since it can only drain the pool down to the skimmer level unless you have a main drain that you can pull water from.

Ok so I got all of the parts dry fitted and marked up. Would you try to put the header part (valves and fittings) all together and then install onto the three suction pipes in one piece or is it better to just go one piece at a time with the glue in case something gets off?

Attachments

• 9953460B-D315-4839-B476-4D30B4855E5E.jpeg
    9953460B-D315-4839-B476-4D30B4855E5E.jpeg
    622.3 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.