New Fiberglass Pool for a friend

JarCar

Mar 23, 2017
Katy, TX
A friend of mine just got a new pool built at this house. its a 12,000 gal fiberglass pool. He has a Hayward Swimclear C200S with a 1.5HP Tristar pump (Single Speed). I made him buy the Taylor K-2006c to start testing his water.

He just did his first water test, and yikes....

FC - 10
CC - 1
pH - Below 7
TA - 30
CH - 100
CYA - 35

I was going to tackle his ph / TA issue first so I told him to get some Soda ash to help bring those two up. Then I was going to address the CC issue. Or should that be tackled first? Based on his CYA he's not too far off of SLAM level FC.

Regarding his FC, he said his builder hasn't added any shock or anything to the pool. Only 3" pucks in his chlorinator set on 5. I thought it was weird for him to have such a high FC, with a low CYA and a 1.0 CC.

Thoughts?

I would address the pH. Do not go overboard. Start with assuming it is 6.8 and use enough soda ash to raise to 7.2. This will raise the TA too.

Then SLAM.

This time of year there is not as much FC burnoff due to UV from the sun as the sun angle lowers. So having high FC, low pH, and reasonable CYA due to pucks in fresh water is not out of the question.

Hopefully you can convince him to go to liquid chlorine. A SWCG would be even better.

Take care.

I would address the pH. Do not go overboard. Start with assuming it is 6.8 and use enough soda ash to raise to 7.2. This will raise the TA too.

Then SLAM.

This time of year there is not as much FC burnoff due to UV from the sun as the sun angle lowers. So having high FC, low pH, and reasonable CYA due to pucks in fresh water is not out of the question.

Hopefully you can convince him to go to liquid chlorine. A SWCG would be even better.

Take care.

So we got the pH up to 7.6 and the TA is slowly rising as well. I think it was at 60 yesterday when he checked. He's coming out of his SLAM and I've gotten him convinced that liquid chlorine is the way to go (and not just try to only use the pucks).

I previously tried to convince him about the VSP when he was complaining about his electric bill :) He said he will wait for that one to burn up, then replace it.

The pH test is not valid if the FC is over 10. So do not make any adjustments based on any pH reading when FC is over 10.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.