TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
New 23' fiberglass build in the works. 7200 gallons
Builder is a Hayward installer

I've spent a good amount of reading time in the forums but wanted to get specific for my build, thanks in advance.

Looking at specific part numbers and suggestions to give Builder
Pump: MaxFlo VS 500 230/115V
Filter: C100S
SWG: Any Hayward model that is preferred. Looking at AQR15 for 15K pools
Automation: Is automation needed for a SWG system? Is there an advantage to getting an automation system vs not having one?
Lights: Hayward Colorlogic
Deck Jets: Hayward

Last edited:
My fiberglass pool has a single speed pump, a lovely little salt cell system, and sand filter. The pump and SWG is tied into an Intermatic Timer. The pool light switch sits on my deck for ease of "flipping". There is no reason I can see that I need automation.... it would just be a expensive fun toy that won't do a lot, for me.

I can't imagine why you would need it?

Reactions: jifffy
A few comments on your equipment.
A low hp VS pump is not always the best for electrical savings and noise. The bigger hp VS pump, the less it costs to operate at the low rpms you will need to operate the SWCG and it will be quieter.
That filter is tiny. I suggest a minimum of 240 SF for your area.
The AQR 15 is rated for a 40 K pool volume. You need a SWCG rated for a minimum of 20K pool volume. So a T9 would work.
You do not NEED automation. Will it bother you to go out to the pad to turn on or adjust the lights? Adjust valves and pump speeds to run the jets? Those are the kind of things that many people prefer to use an app on their phone to manage. Also, you must be sure the power is off to the SWCG when the pump is not running. An automation system can manage that. Or you will need a timer of some kind to run the SWCG so that you can have the power removed when the pump is scheduled to be off.

Take care.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

New Parts based on feedback

Pump: Hayward VS700 Omni
Filter: Hayward C230
SWG: W3T-CELL-3 15K salt generator

It looks like Hayward has some variation in pumps available. The omni seems to have some automation built into it from the brochures. Any feedback on the differences in Hayward pumps?

As long as the automation does what you want, it will work. I suggest getting a full rated VS (2.7 hp or higher).
That filter is better.
That SWCG is small unless you live in the far north of the US. You say TX, so I would go for a SWCG that is rated for 20K minimum.

Had the PB upgrade to a Hayward vs 950 2.7 Tristar and a Hayward c4040 quad filter. The PB said I can add in my own SWG and I don't have to use theirs. I was looking at the Circupool Edge and RJ models. Can't decide which model is "better". I'm thinking the Edge 40 or RJ30+. I've read quite a few posts but there doesn't seem to be a one is better than the other. Any thoughts on SWG choices?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.