New FG pool estimate in Northeast

poolmaybe

Jul 1, 2023
North East
Hey all - first post, I heard about this place from another forum so thought I'd give it a go.

Anyways, we are currently evaluating pool bids and are experiencing a bit of sticker shock. Wanted to see if this is a "reasonable" cost. Looking at FG pool models from Latham ranging from 80k to 100k (~34ft length)for base only, would probably spend +30k on electric, patio, filtration system/salt and fence (required). This only includes rough grade and no landscaping estimate yet. This is in PA. Does this sound reasonable or should we be looking for other bids?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to TFP! You have found the right place to make sure you get the pool and equipment you want/need for your home!

Yes DO look at more bids. We suggest you get at least 3 bids if at all possible. Make sure you are looking at apples to apples. Make sure to get equipment model numbers to make sure we know just what it is and can guide you.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: proavia
Unfortunately, that's about the going rate for fiberglass anymore.

Hi - thanks for the replies so far. Here is some additional information on what is included in the estimate / equipment that would come with the install:

Latham Pools Feature Crystite G2 Gel-Coat Finishes
One Skimmer and Three Returns Standard on all Pools.
•2” Schedule 40 PVC Plumbing; All Joints, Unions, and Fittings are Pressure-Tested to Ensure 100% Seal.
•Color- Changing LED Lights with Control Dial, for Convenience, Safety, and Ambiance.
•Color-Coordinated Ladder, Handrail, Escutcheons.
•Pentair Self-Priming Superflo Variable Speed Pump.
•Pentair Clean-and-Clear-Plus Quad-Pack Cartridge Filter.
•Automatic Chlorinator (N.S.F. Approved).
•Clear Comfort Sanitation System using UV Light & Ozone to provide Simple Stress-free Water Maintenance & Care •All Water to Fill Pool.
•Starter Chemicals (Water Conditioner/Stabilizer, Chlorine Sanitizer)
•On-site Pool Orientation and Safety Lesson.
Bio Guard Smart- Shield Liquid “Solar Blanket” for Maximum Heat Retention and Minimum Water Loss through Evaporation.
•Manual Cleaning Kit (Clear Tri-Vac Head, Vac Pole, Vac Hose, Skim Vac Plate and Leaf Net).
•Up to 2 U.L. Listed Alarms for Doors/Windows Leading to Pool Area. Additional Alarms Available for Purchase.
•Complete Back-Fill and Rough Grade Away from Pool.
•Poured Concrete Cantilever Edge Rockface Detail Coping and 3’ Wide Reinforced Concrete Perimeter Deck with Sundek Classic Texture Overlay.
•Standard ASTM Rated Mesh Winter Safety Cover Installed in Choice of Colors, Incl. all Plugs & Gizzmos.
•Professional Pool Closing at the End of First Pool Season and Opening for Next Season.

•Automatic Chlorinator (N.S.F. Approved).
•Clear Comfort Sanitation System using UV Light & Ozone to provide Simple Stress-free Water Maintenance & Care
These 3 are unnecessary and cause problems that didn't need solving. A couple hundred bucks for the chlorinater and $1500 each (?) for the UV and Ozone will help reduce the bill by almost $4k.

Bio Guard Smart- Shield Liquid “Solar Blanket” for Maximum Heat Retention and Minimum Water Loss through Evaporation.
Its the fancy brand for a whopping $32 but this is laughable on a $100k estimate.

It's also more trouble than it's worth because as something that floats, even the slightest waft pushes it all to one corner. Or anytime the pump runs.

Oooooooo. Please forgive my terrible manners. Welcome to TFP !!!!

These 3 are unnecessary and cause problems that didn't need solving. A couple hundred bucks for the chlorinater and $1500 each (?) for the UV and Ozone will help reduce the bill by almost $4k.
Ok - they did mention they would credit us ~3,700 for the UV/ozone delete - which we are planning on doing with the salt system.

Its the fancy brand for a whopping $32 but this is laughable on a $100k estimate.
Haha - yeah I had the same thought.

I think overall after fence (6ft privacy) and extra concrete as well as potential storm water system we are getting closer to 150k which seems excessive but I guess that's the going rate these days.

One other thing I forgot to mention is this includes a built in spa in the fiberglass pool. Any recommendations/concerns on that route vs standalone? Any other equipment to be looking at?

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Attached my estimate based on figures from the quote and then a few other items we didn't get an estimate for yet / TBD.

The concrete includes a Sundek coating/treatment which is quite expensive (extra $10 s/qf) - which I might remove - don't think we need it.

Snip20230718_66.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think overall after fence (6ft privacy) and extra concrete as well as potential storm water system we are getting closer to 150k which seems excessive but I guess that's the going rate these days.
Are you anti vinyl ? (Totally fine if you are, it won't hurt my feelings :)) I think mine turned out OK. The pool was in the 40s and the 1800 sq ft patio in the 30s. 500 or 600 ft of PVC fence was $12.5 and putting the yard back together was probably $5k.
(Build thread in my signature)

20230710_144140.jpg

One other thing I forgot to mention is this includes a built in spa in the fiberglass pool. Any recommendations/concerns on that route vs standalone?
the way i see it is that built ins are for entertaining when you're all laughing so hard that nobody cares they only have a couple of jets, if that. They are absolutely stunning but mostly form with little function.

Stand alones are for the full body / relaxing experience, without much flair. I also have some issues looking at them like bathtubs and there's a SHORT list of people I'd share a bathtub with. Even with suits on. Don't judge me. :ROFLMAO:

In a perfect world, you'd get one of each.

The concrete includes a Sundek coating/treatment which is quite expensive (extra $10 s/qf) - which I might remove - don't think we need it.
Ooof. I got Cambridge pavers over a new concrete slab for $17 a foot. (Deets in build thread)
Any other equipment to be looking at?
You need model #s to know what you're getting. Spell that out beforehand and let us know.

Reactions: Lanzz and poolmaybe
Ok - they did mention they would credit us ~3,700 for the UV/ozone delete - which we are planning on doing with the salt system.

Haha - yeah I had the same thought.

One other thing I forgot to mention is this includes a built in spa in the fiberglass pool. Any recommendations/concerns on that route vs standalone? Any other equipment to be looking at?

Thanks for the feedback so far!
Re: built in spa. In your climate, winterizing is going to be a necessity, most likely including the spa. If you are a die hard spa fan that includes use during the winter, a built in spa makes little sense.

Re: built in spa. In your climate, winterizing is going to be a necessity, most likely including the spa. If you are a die hard spa fan that includes use during the winter, a built in spa makes little sense.
Alternate perspective: if you are NOT a die hard spa fan that includes use during the winter, it's an attractive feature and fun hang out spot. My kids (6 and 4) love playing in there even when it's not in spa mode. Not sure how costs break out for you, but for our gunite pool in 2020 it was something like 10-15% of the cost of the actual pool part (not including patio, etc.) and it gets at least 10-15% of the usage if not more. It helps justify a longer season (we're also in PA) as we will use it in the spring and fall before/after it makes sense to keep heating the pool. We end up opening mid-April and closing around Halloween.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you anti vinyl ? (Totally fine if you are, it won't hurt my feelings :)) I think mine turned out OK. The pool was in the 40s and the 1800 sq ft patio in the 30s. 500 or 600 ft of PVC fence was $12.5 and putting the yard back together was probably $5k.
Not necessarily, the builder does both and I asked them about Vinyl and they said the cost would be "comparable". If that's the case then of course I'd prefer figerglass. I don't know maybe I should ask them to do a full quote for it and compare myself.

Reactions: Newdude
maybe I should ask them to do a full quote for it and compare myself.
Always, and get multiple quotes once you have an idea of what you want. You need to compare apples to apples or it doesn't tell you anything if quote A is for ABC and quote B is for XYZ.

Alternate perspective: if you are NOT a die hard spa fan that includes use during the winter, it's an attractive feature and fun hang out spot. My kids (6 and 4) love playing in there even when it's not in spa mode. Not sure how costs break out for you, but for our gunite pool in 2020 it was something like 10-15% of the cost of the actual pool part (not including patio, etc.) and it gets at least 10-15% of the usage if not more. It helps justify a longer season (we're also in PA) as we will use it in the spring and fall before/after it makes sense to keep heating the pool. We end up opening mid-April and closing around Halloween.
Great point...at water temp of 60 degrees or lower algae growth is almost non existant. So you wait in the fall until your water reaches 60 degrees before closing and open in the spring at 60 degrees. Our spa gets the most use early spring and late fall

Not necessarily, the builder does both and I asked them about Vinyl and they said the cost would be "comparable". If that's the case then of course I'd prefer figerglass. I don't know maybe I should ask them to do a full quote for it and compare myself.
Six years ago we were going to build a pool. The quotes came in close for vinyl vs gunite and fiberglass. The prices were close to 100,000 and there was concern that we might need to enhance the retaining wall at considerable expense. We looked for a house with an existing pool and moved.

Reactions: poolmaybe
Any concerns with this payment schedule?
30% at contract signing
60% at start of construction
10% at completion.
The 10% at completion is good, but 90% upfront is too high. See if your PB will do payments on milestones. Ieally completion of those milestones, but some PBs need the cash to fund the work. Some example milestones are: contract signing, dig, equipment delivery, initial plumbing and electrical, steel, gunite, deck, stonework, plaster/liner, fill, all equipment tested, etc. I would try to get in the range of 3-5 milestones, depending on how far apart they are. You want the PB to have an incentive to do the work in a timely manner and finish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hootz
I paid 50%, 25%, 25%. I was scared paying half up front but I chose a great builder. He was in and out in 9 days and they did a great job. I'd let them build me another pool in a heartbeat.

I had a rare one I'd suspect but it was 20,10,70. I'd be a little suspect on having 90% paid just to have it started. Not much risk for them to bail or move very slowly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.