New EVO 614i Robot Pool Cleaner Review

Sam,

Here is what I said in my initial review...

"The Power Cord. The cord on the EVO is much larger in diameter and stiffer than the Dolphin’s cord. I had great hopes this would mean that the cord would not tangle. I was wrong. I have not had it long enough to know what will happen as it gets broken in, but running the EVO several times in a row, without removing it from the pool, induced the same basic tangle that I have seen in all my Dolphin robots. Edit. If I run the robot, like I normally do, and clean it after every run, the cable does not tangle."

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
You are still happy with the EVO? Any idea why I can't find many reviews online? I am a review type of person and that is what's throwing me off! I am also reading about the technical support almost nonexistent.
Thanks,
Alisa

Last edited:
Sam,

Here is what I said in my initial review...

"The Power Cord. The cord on the EVO is much larger in diameter and stiffer than the Dolphin’s cord. I had great hopes this would mean that the cord would not tangle. I was wrong. I have not had it long enough to know what will happen as it gets broken in, but running the EVO several times in a row, without removing it from the pool, induced the same basic tangle that I have seen in all my Dolphin robots. Edit. If I run the robot, like I normally do, and clean it after every run, the cable does not tangle."

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim I did read that but it had been so long I forgot. Mine really never had that issue early on and even with a normal run and clean, leaving the cable on the deck a bit really does not help much. It feels like this swivel needs some reengineering.

Jim,
You are still happy with the EVO? Any idea why I can't find many reviews online? I am a review type of person and that is what's throwing me off!
Thanks,
Alisa
Alisa,

I still love it... I like it much better than my Dolphin S200 'style' robots..

What has yet to be determine is whether it will last longer than a Dolphin or not.. :scratch:

I find most reviews, like you see on amazon, worthless.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude and SamsIam
Well, two cycles of Wally with the new 'fine' filter, pool is cyrstal clear. Lifted Wally out of the water and normally it drains in a second or two. Couldn't figure out why it was trickling water out for 30 seconds before I just set it down and opened the top. Filter had a solid 3 inches of fine dust in it :) Finer filter is a must have in the southwest.
I just ordered the fine filter from Marina Pool and Spa, $60 including shipping. I traded messages asking if there are three available filters and they confirmed there is only the regular and the fine (although first email response they called it “ultra-fine”).

The regular filter never seemed to pick what looked like dust/dirt/mud. Even after very windy days. I’m very interested to see what the fine filter picks up.

I purchased the 614iq and fine filter yesterday from Marina. Great experience working with Margaret! This is to replace my troublesome and aged Kreepy Krauly Legend vacuum which I'll still keep around as backup.
I gave my 614iq its first run yesterday and I'm mostly happy with it. I ran it on floor & walls mode and it cleaned the floor very well. Even with the standard filter it picked up some fine pollen but probably not all of it. I'm waiting to receive the fine filter. It never got stuck or even hesitated on my 6 drains and the robot's path wasn't altered. It climbs up and on the tanning ledge but immediately shuts down as the water must be too shallow to operate. Fortunately after several seconds it backs up and falls off the ledge and returns to cleaning the floor. The independent brushes are great and it turns on a dime.

My concern is the robot's wall climbing and waterline scrubbing. At first the robot climbed a wall nearly every time. Later in the cleaning cycle it would only randomly climb a wall to the waterline. I think the robot has to hit the wall dead on in order for it to fully climb it. Once waterline scrubbing begins the robot only moves sideways for about 1-2 inches before it drops down. When cleaning finished the filter was dirty but far from blocked. I was hoping that wall climbing was being affected by an overly dirty filter.

How's wall climbing and waterline scrubbing working with your Evo?

About the same as yours, but to be honest, I never watched for a whole cycle.. Just like the Dolphins, it is not designed to go up to the water line on every pass.. My thought is that over time it will cover most of the walls and water line tile.

From a visual point of view, I don't see any places it missed.. Even if it did.. :mrgreen:

Let's face it, all the dirt that it will suck up is on the bottom of the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven’t really watched it do much of it’s run. Yesterday I was watching for a few minutes when it was near the end of its cycle and saw some of the same behavior. It hit the wall at an angle so it didn’t go up. Just backed down for a few feet. Made a turn and went a different direction. It seemed to do this several times. While I was watching I did see it go up and get the waterline tile a few times, when it did it was straight on.

Thanks. Good to know it isn't something wrong with my robot. This is my first robot of this type so I don't know what is considered normal or typical operation.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I got my 614iq mostly based on this thread a few weeks ago, and for the most part really like it. The remote feature is particularly nice (though laggy!), for getting it out of the water for cleaning. I run it primarily in floor only cleaning mode, as I've had trouble with robots getting stuck on sitting steps in the past.

***PSA: ***
Based on most people's recommendations, when I bought it from Marina, I asked for the fine filter basket. Just so everyone knows, its REALLY REALLY fine. Here in Texas we have fine clay soil and sandstone grit that's a constant presence in my pool. Frankly, it's so fine that it's plugging up the filter. After one cycle, with the filter basket less than 1/4 full, there is almost no water flow through the filter. That fine stuff clogs the filter so thoroughly, when you pull the filter out it takes over 30 seconds for the water to drain out of the filter on its own. I'm not sure its actually fully cleaning the pool as the water flow is quickly getting restricted through the ultra fine filter.

As such, I just ordered a regular filter basket for it, and will update (maybe start a new thread), as to how the regular filter compares in how much it removes, and how well water flows once it starts to load up. The folks at Marina commented that this is not the first they've heard of this issue with the fine filter, and for the majority of people the regular filter will work great to get even the fine stuff. :)

For reference, my previous robot was a dolphin nautilus cc plus with both regular and extra fine filters - I never used the extra fine filters and it cleaned the pool great.

Best,
Christopher

Reactions: Newdude
Just received mine the other day from Marina as like most my Warrior randomly quit working. Figured I would try the Warrior one more time and it decided to start working again... guess I'll have to wait..

FWIW when I called Marina, they actually said the EVO cleans the waterline better :scratch:

My EVO seems to clean my pool just fine, but I wanted to try the finer filter basket, just to see how it works.

I got the extra finer basket yesterday, I thought I'd run a quick test.

I had already run the standard basket the day before, so the pool did not appear dirty, but I ran a clean standard basket again for one floor and walls cycle.. And here is a pic of the results...

Standard Basket.jpg

Then, I installed the finer filter basket and ran it.. I expected it to capture some additional debris, but I was wrong.. Here is what it picked up...

New Finer Basket...jpg
Basically "mud"!!!

Keep in mind that none of this was visible before I ran the EVO and I had no clue it was there. That was last night.. I plan to clean the finer basket and run it again today and see what it missed.

For those that don't already know, there are three 'grid' patterns printed on the side of the filter. There is also a small arrow that indicates how fine the filter is.. The more grid boxes, the finer the filter. My standard filter has 4 grid boxes, my new filter basket has 16 boxes.

Size of mesh indicator.jpg

Not sure if this means that I should use the finer filter all the time, or use the standard filter most of the time, and use the finer filter once in a while or ??? I plan to run some more tests and see what makes the most sense for me..

If I had to decide today, then I'd want both filters.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I let the 'mud' dry overnight, as I wanted to see how hard it would be to remove it..

There was almost 1/2 a pound of dry mud in the filter.. It come out of the filter basket with no issues.

View attachment 569096

Thanks,

Jim R.

So how did you remove the mud? How easy was it to clean the filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support