New EVO 614i Robot Pool Cleaner Review

Hi All,
Thanks to this thread, I ordered an EVO 614 iq from Marina Pool and Spa yesterday to replace my original (5 year old) pressure side polaris cleaner that has become increasingly ineffective recently.

Some things to note that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread:

- I was told Marina Pool and Spa is no longer able to swap the ultra fine filter in for the original filter when a new order is placed because they got in trouble with Polaris for doing so.
- I was told by Marina Pool and Spa that if warranty work was needed, I'd need to cover return shipping. This alone was a reason I was going to go with "Pelicanshops1.com" and get a Dolphin, since they specifically cover return shipping for warranty work. However Marina Pool and Spa told me that I can take this Evo to any Leslies pool store and they'll service it as an authorized service center. Strangely the Aqua Robot website does not list Leslies as an authorized service center. In fact, it has very few service centers listed around the country (one of which is Marina Pool and Spa)... but I was assured that because Leslies is an authorized Polaris service center, that they can also service Aqua Robot models.

Anyhow... I did WAY too much research on pool robots before I landed on this decision. I mostly considered Dolphin models ranging from the Nautilus CC Plus all the way up to the M600, plus this Evo model.

In the end I really got a distaste for Dolphin products as a whole as I realized how much they've raised their prices in recent years. Most models have gone up 30-40% in the past 3-4 years alone! That might be justifiable if they were putting money into research and development, but most of these models seem to have come out 10-15 years ago with just small tweaks over time (side note, is it just me or with all of the innovation going elsewhere in robotics, isn't it surprising that corded pool robot cleaners seem to be mostly stagnant? This market is ripe for disruption if somebody would make a robot capable of actually entering and exiting the pool automatically (even if it was via the caddy) and using LIDAR sensors for mapping and navigation).

I also became annoyed Dolphin appears to let their resellers market dishonestly. Poolbots.com is the number one result for all sorts of Dolphin google searches, and they've also flooded youtube with 'comparison' videos under various affiliate names, and registered a bunch of other domain names for individual models that they sell, and SO MUCH of what they say on their website is completely made up. They claim models are brand new designs when they've been out for a decade or more. They claim these bots have navigation sensors and 'smart mapping' and 'nano filtration' and 'commercial motors' and all sorts of complete fantasy world marketing BS, and Dolphin doesn't seem to care. It really made me lose respect for them as a brand.

While Fluidra/Polaris has their own set of annoying marketing gimmicks, including selling this exact same Evo robot (albeit with cooler looking colors) for a lot more money under the Polaris and Scout brand names, at least I didn't see much indication of recent rapid price increases or rampant marketing disinformation.

I also came to realize that ALL of these robots are just expected to die somewhere between 2 and 6 years from now, depending on your individual luck and if you make a habit of leaving the robot in the water, especially when running high chlorine levels. So while for example, I was going so far as digging into parts diagrams of the various Dolpin models and realizing that despite not seeing it mentioned anywhere online, the M600 appears to have a substantially bigger and more powerful motor box unit than the M400, there doesn't appear to be any indication that said 'bigger' motor is actually any more durable. It's not brushless. It just seems to move more water and spin the brushes faster. And in the end you're still going to have to replace it in roughly the same period of time, or else you get to replace a far more expensive motor if you decide to repair (the M600's motor was around $800!).

So in the end I figured going with 'unknown durability from a well-established brand' is better than going with 'well known "so-so" durability from a brand that seems dishonest and greedy'

Last edited:
Most models have gone up 30-40% in the past 3-4 years alone!
Preach. I built pool #2 during the shortages and prices spiked so I decided to wait it out. In the meantime, quality control became something that we'll bore our grandkids about so I'm still square on the robot fence.

Hi All,
Thanks to this thread, I ordered an EVO 614 iq from Marina Pool and Spa yesterday to replace my original (5 year old) pressure side polaris cleaner that has become increasingly ineffective recently.

Some things to note that I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread:

- I was told Marina Pool and Spa is no longer able to swap the ultra fine filter in for the original filter when a new order is placed because they got in trouble with Polaris for doing so.
- I was told by Marina Pool and Spa that if warranty work was needed, I'd need to cover return shipping. This alone was a reason I was going to go with "Pelicanshops1.com" and get a Dolphin, since they specifically cover return shipping for warranty work. However Marina Pool and Spa told me that I can take this Evo to any Leslies pool store and they'll service it as an authorized service center. Strangely the Aqua Robot website does not list Leslies as an authorized service center. In fact, it has very few service centers listed around the country (one of which is Marina Pool and Spa)... but I was assured that because Leslies is an authorized Polaris service center, that they can also service Aqua Robot models.

Anyhow... I did WAY too much research on pool robots before I landed on this decision. I mostly considered Dolphin models ranging from the Nautilus CC Plus all the way up to the M600, plus this Evo model.

In the end I really got a distaste for Dolphin products as a whole as I realized how much they've raised their prices in recent years. Most models have gone up 30-40% in the past 3-4 years alone! That might be justifiable if they were putting money into research and development, but most of these models seem to have come out 10-15 years ago with just small tweaks over time (side note, is it just me or with all of the innovation going elsewhere in robotics, isn't it surprising that corded pool robot cleaners seem to be mostly stagnant? This market is ripe for disruption if somebody would make a robot capable of actually entering and exiting the pool automatically (even if it was via the caddy) and using LIDAR sensors for mapping and navigation).

I also became annoyed Dolphin appears to let their resellers market dishonestly. Poolbots.com is the number one result for all sorts of Dolphin google searches, and they've also flooded youtube with 'comparison' videos under various affiliate names, and registered a bunch of other domain names for individual models that they sell, and SO MUCH of what they say on their website is completely made up. They claim models are brand new designs when they've been out for a decade or more. They claim these bots have navigation sensors and 'smart mapping' and 'nano filtration' and 'commercial motors' and all sorts of complete fantasy world marketing BS, and Dolphin doesn't seem to care. It really made me lose respect for them as a brand.

While Fluidra/Polaris has their own set of annoying marketing gimmicks, including selling this exact same Evo robot (albeit with cooler looking colors) for a lot more money under the Polaris and Scout brand names, at least I didn't see much indication of recent rapid price increases or rampant marketing disinformation.

I also came to realize that ALL of these robots are just expected to die somewhere between 2 and 6 years from now, depending on your individual luck and if you make a habit of leaving the robot in the water, especially when running high chlorine levels. So while for example, I was going so far as digging into parts diagrams of the various Dolpin models and realizing that despite not seeing it mentioned anywhere online, the M600 appears to have a substantially bigger and more powerful motor box unit than the M400, there doesn't appear to be any indication that said 'bigger' motor is actually any more durable. It's not brushless. It just seems to move more water and spin the brushes faster. And in the end you're still going to have to replace it in roughly the same period of time, or else you get to replace a far more expensive motor if you decide to repair (the M600's motor was around $800!).

So in the end I figured going with 'unknown durability from a well-established brand' is better than going with 'well known "so-so" durability from a brand that seems dishonest and greedy'
Hard to say, but we know most dolphins recently last around 3 years. The design of this EVO wins hands down! We will have to see how long the motor assembly will last, but the sealed motor design (from debris) tells me it'll be longer than a dolphin.

quality control became something that we'll bore our grandkids about so I'm still square on the robot fence.

You will be boring your grandkids about how when I had a pool I brushed by hand, and vacuumed and had to use a net skim leaves in the snow uphill in both directions.

That fence post has grown mighty long.

Julie,

So far I am still in "love" with it.... :mrgreen:

When the Dolphin robots I have at a couple rent houses die, they will be replaced by EVOs..

The legend is a pressure cleaner, so you would no longer need to run the booster pump.

Some people cap off the booster and others also convert the old pipe into the pool into another Pool Return.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Any updates to the app to allow for scheduling? Just debating the 604 vs 614 here in Canada.. the price difference is around 120$.. driving it around doesn't seem worth it to me, but scheduling would push me to get eh 614.

Thanks for the review

I've been following this thread and decided to buy the Evo 604 a couple weeks ago. Problem being, I can't get a hold of anyone at Marina Pool and spa. I wanted to verify the correct fine filter part number. I sent them an email two weeks ago, called them a week ago, and called again today...no replies. Looking like I will have to bite the bullet any buy elsewhere for a higher price. Advice?

Members have the most luck calling at 10 AM Colorado time as they open. Personally I give them a couple minutes to get in the door and get settled. But yeah. (y)

I've been following this thread and decided to buy the Evo 604 a couple weeks ago. Problem being, I can't get a hold of anyone at Marina Pool and spa. I wanted to verify the correct fine filter part number. I sent them an email two weeks ago, called them a week ago, and called again today...no replies. Looking like I will have to bite the bullet any buy elsewhere for a higher price. Advice?
I ordered the one labeled fine filter on their website and it should be here next week. Can let you know once I get unless someone here has it

Reactions: Coz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any updates to the app to allow for scheduling? Just debating the 604 vs 614 here in Canada.. the price difference is around 120$.. driving it around doesn't seem worth it to me, but scheduling would push me to get eh 614.
b,

Yes that app allows you to schedule by day and time. And unlike the Dolphin, it will just keep repeating schedule forever... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: bturnbull
Jim thanks to you and all the contributors for this thread. When I finally started my pool excavation earlier this year this thread was about half the size it is now. I'll need to order the robot later this month and I hope to be another that adds EVO 604 robot to my signature!

Dropped it into the pool for the first time yesterday and it did a great job...at clogging up with algae :) I was hoping to avoid a traditional vacuuming for this new pool's first cleaning after winter, but not so much! I was expecting too much, I know. On the plus side, it did help agitate and disperse the crud on the bottom, and the skimmer seems to have cleaned up much of that overnight. So at least the manual vacuuming will be easier.

It didn't take long before it was too heavy to climb the walls, but otherwise, it seems to work well and was easy to handle. I can see how the "intelligence" gets messed up with these things as you can see the return jet pushing it at times, so it would lose it's location within the pool. Assuming it has even such intelligence, that is! But it does seem to have some kind of logic in it, at least.

Love my Evo 614iq except for the wall climbing. I'm using the fine filter now as it works great for picking up pollen. Most of the time the robot will only slightly climb a wall just as if it's in floor only mode. And it's not as if it's struggling to climb the walls either as the brushes/treads just stop turning, reverse and it drops down. It's even more strange that it climbs up and on the tanning ledge wall every time without a problem. And the lift system works every time to the waterline. There's no difference in the design of the pool walls or ledge wall other than the pool walls having coping and tile on top.

Because of this I rarely use the waterline/floor mode. I know overall wall climbing and waterline cleaning is not this robot's strength but still wondering if there's a problem with my Evo. Has anyone with a similar experience found a way to improve wall climbing or communicated with Fluidra about this?

Mine climbs the wall all the way to the tile line.. Stays there for a short period of time, and then goes back down. It does this about once every 5 cycles.. Just a guess about "every 5 cycles" but it does do it quite often.

Thanks,

Jim R.

When I first ran my Evo, it didn’t pick up all the leaves on the bottom. Using the standard filter, I continued to run a couple back to back cycles per day rinsing the filter after each cycle. After about 5 cycles my pool was clean. Since then my Evo has kept my pool spotless. After storms blew through and deposited more leaves the evo picked them up without problem. The standard filter was also very good at picking up all of the little silty bits. I have the fine filter now. When I ran the fine filter for the first time yesterday it didn’t pick up as much as I thought it would because the standard filter did such a good job. I love this Evo so much! It has completely changed my pool maintenance life!

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support