New equipment install: how to minimize noisy mechanicals?

jetties

Mar 24, 2024
Massachusetts
I have equipment install coming up in the next few weeks. Here's the layout:
Equipment includes:
- Sta-rite VSF pump (intellipro3) w/ external vacless svrs
- Sta-rite cartridge filter
- AquaCal SW225 143k btu heater (HeatWave SuperQuiet® SQ225 - AquaCal Website)

The equipment is placed up against the house, right next to the existing two A/C condensers. Layout:
Is there anything I should do before or during equipment install to minimize noise transmission? I'm concerned about noise inside the house as well as the outdoor space.

After the equipment is in we can put up a fence and shrubs. But what about before & during install? Is there anything during the installation process, like rubber vibration pads (Amazon.com) that would help?

Aquacal should be no noiser then your existing AC units.

Cartridge filter makes no noise.

The slower you can run the pump the less noise it puts out. Vibration does not cause noise with a VS pump. Most of the noise comes from motor whine and the cooling fan at the rear of the pump at higher RPMs.

Why? Is this a code requirement? This has potential to cause problems.
+1. I had to teach one of the PBs I didn't use why we didn't need it for pool #2 at his insistence. The dual drains with safety covers and dual skimmers, was enough to satisfy code without the SVRS.

I had it for 8.5 years on pool #1. Not *once* was it needed. The 316 times it tripped were all nuisance trips and got old quickly. The majority of times was during vacuuming. It tripped 1 to 3 times per weekly vac. I had to stop, go reset the pump, wait for it to prime and then put it back to my preferred vac speed. Half of those times it tripped during the process before I got to continue vacuuming. Once or twice a month it tripped because the skimmers were half full and the flow hiccuped enough. Once or twice a month it tripped for seemingly no reason. It means well but simply isn't needed with multiple suction legs.

Would you recommend instead focusing on the fence? Perhaps MLV hanging on the inside to deaden some of the sound from the 3 condensers?

I think you need to experiment with different things once you have the equipment running and you see where the sound bothers you.

Controlling sound is about the vibrations, volume, and frequency of the sound.

Soft materials will absorb sound while hard materials like a fence can act as a echo chamber and funnel the sound in a direction.

You need to hear it in your environment to determine the best remediation.

I pushed back on the external vacless svrs. They won't budge.

I was told "I have attached the brochure for the current pump we are using which does not have built in SVRS protection, that is why we install the VACLESS SVRS device which you will find info at the link below. Model SVRS-10ADJ Center - Vacless

We will not alter the way we sell and set up these devices, this is done to comply with the Virginia Grame Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act."

Is there anything I can do during installation to make it easier to have this thing lobotomized after they're done?

Is there anything I can do during installation to make it easier to have this thing lobotomized after they're done?

The Vacless is installed in the drain hole of the pump replacing a plug.

Be there when they install the pump and Vacless and have them give you the drain plug that is removed.

If the Vacless is causing you problems with false trips then unscrew it and put the drain plug back in.

+1. I had to teach one of the PBs I didn't use why we didn't need it for pool #2 at his insistence. The dual drains with safety covers and dual skimmers, was enough to satisfy code without the SVRS.

I had it for 8.5 years on pool #1. Not *once* was it needed. The 316 times it tripped were all nuisance trips and got old quickly. The majority of times was during vacuuming. It tripped 1 to 3 times per weekly vac. I had to stop, go reset the pump, wait for it to prime and then put it back to my preferred vac speed. Half of those times it tripped during the process before I got to continue vacuuming. Once or twice a month it tripped because the skimmers were half full and the flow hiccuped enough. Once or twice a month it tripped for seemingly no reason. It means well but simply isn't needed with multiple suction legs.
Sounds like you had a Vac-Alert, which needs a manual re-set. The VacLess will automatically reset once the suction issue is resolved, even the newer ones that stop power to the pump.

Reactions: Newdude