New DIY pool in Queen Creek AZ!

Actually looking for info on window locks - due to QC's city ordinance, I need to be able to lock my sliding windows with a latching device that is at least 54" off the floor. Any ideas???

- - - Updated - - -

All I can find is a Prime-Line keyed sliding window lock, which would work, but I'd like to find something that doesn't require drilling holes in my window frame....

Actually looking for info on window locks - due to QC's city ordinance, I need to be able to lock my sliding windows with a latching device that is at least 54" off the floor. Any ideas???

- - - Updated - - -

All I can find is a Prime-Line keyed sliding window lock, which would work, but I'd like to find something that doesn't require drilling holes in my window frame....

Ugh! Good luck with that one. Just think, if you lived but a few miles West, you'd only need a self-closing gate to pass inspection! Call or visit the City office where you got your permit. They may have some suggestions that will pass code. I asked my inspector when he did my pre-shotcrete inspection about the gate code and he was more than happy to help.

I had no idea, at first I was thinking a stick in the channel if that is high enough. There are also hinged sticks. But, then I googled it and there are a lot of options, keyed and thumbscrew style locks. Some are pretty cheap. The code inspectors is also a good idea.

let us know what you end up going with for the safety barriers, as I will be in the same boat out in queen creek in a few months. I have a 6ft slider door and a 12 foot slider..

On your grotto is that a foam template? Do they just shotcrete the grotto? That looks crazy..:D

well, guess I will figure something out - asked the inspector and at the city - they had no clue, said "go look for something at home depot" - wow lot of help...

That isn't very helpful, but is probably good news. It means that they have no preconceived notions that you need some kind of complex (expensive) locking mechanism. As long as you can lock the window out of child's reach you are good. Home Depot has several cheap and simple options for a few bucks.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Li...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100117796-_-100169132-_-N

ya, will look into something simple and see what inspector says..

On another topic, anyone installed the tile themselves? what are steps and correct materials to install tile on concrete?? I saw on a site these steps to install glass tile in a pool.

#1 apply Laticrete platinum thinset
#2 apply thin coat of laticrete fortified mortar bed onto thinset
#3 apply latapoxy waterproof flashing motar
#4 apply 2 thin coats of hydroban
#5 then apply tile as normal using platinum thinset again

Is that really the process for waterline tile and tile on barstools??? as well

That isn't very helpful, but is probably good news. It means that they have no preconceived notions that you need some kind of complex (expensive) locking mechanism. As long as you can lock the window out of child's reach you are good. Home Depot has several cheap and simple options for a few bucks.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Li...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100117796-_-100169132-_-N

Cities will be different, but I know City of Phoenix specifically states that window locks with thumbscrews are not allowed. The same thing with a hex screw will be just fine. So silly.

Your pool looks like it's coming along great! Was at about the same stage as you last year this time. So crazy how the safety codes vary so much city to city in az. In Tempe all I had to do was put alarms on the 2 doors and 1 folding sliding door to the back yard. Nothing on the windows, no self closers on the doors or extra locks. And just double sided deadbolt locks on my gates, which I put on when I made them.
You should be swimming by Memorial Day judging by your pics.

ya, will look into something simple and see what inspector says..

On another topic, anyone installed the tile themselves? what are steps and correct materials to install tile on concrete?? I saw on a site these steps to install glass tile in a pool.

#1 apply Laticrete platinum thinset
#2 apply thin coat of laticrete fortified mortar bed onto thinset
#3 apply latapoxy waterproof flashing motar
#4 apply 2 thin coats of hydroban
#5 then apply tile as normal using platinum thinset again

Is that really the process for waterline tile and tile on barstools??? as well

Just caught up on your build. I'm the one who had cracks in Pasadena. All involved parties assured us they were not a problem (and our shotcrete guy signed a lifetime guarantee that he would repair/ be responsible for any damage to shell or plaster from the cracks) so we've moved forward to plaster.

Re: tile - I didn't do any of it but watched the progress. One thing that I observed (which may be a no-brainer to a true DIY but was initially confusing to me) was that the tile guy did not use grout on the trim tile (on steps and bench). Instead the plaster served as grout in those areas. Obviously waterline tile had grout.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, everyone knows that!![emoji12]
But did you know that a Tasmanian Devil's jaw is three times more powerful than a pit bull terrier's?
Making great progress!

Updated photos for the finished grotto/slide - quite the transformation.

Went from this:

IMG_43851.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

To this:

IMG_44061.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And to final product here:

IMG_44221.jpg

ok - more updates - sorry for such a delay - I've literally been up to 10:30 each night trying to get stuff done on the pool prior to plaster today..some pics of the progress...

IMG_44741.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here went with Trazocrete caps instead of tiling the tops of stools - much cleaner and yes, easier to install!! Just had to do a lot of concrete grinding to get all steps level with each other..

- - - Updated - - -

Floor in ramada done, starting the coping around it...

IMG_44811.jpg

Pool coping and tile going on -yes, these are night pics as guy worked into the dark..

IMG_44771.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_44791.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Love the mud hole!!! We had a big "pre-monsoon" storm that simply created a mess. If you can see in the pool, I had about 16 inches of water in the bottom - needless to say, this delayed everything for a day...

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_44801.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Now working late into each night trying to get decking and surrounding area around pool done before the plaster guys show up - I had 3 days to do it all, including getting part of the stone on the pool facing side of the pillars...

IMG_44891.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Plaster day!!!!!
WOOOOOOO

IMG_45191.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_45201.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Black and blue colored Quartz plaster...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.